Used 2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Land-rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Freelander
By Brian Bisgood

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

It's been a great vehicle, still is.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

I like it just fine the way it is.

Freelander winning our hearts...
By Morvac

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We was looking for a small SUV for my wife (Ford Escape/Explorer) but came away with this and couldn't be happier. We've put a few miles on it now and have came away impressed. It took awhile to get used to the non- traditional interior placement of items. Driving is impressive, road conditions do not matter and it inspires confidence you're going to get to wherever you're going. We average 20.1 MPG which isn't bad since I'm used to 17 with my Explorer. Plus the 4 yr/50k mile warranty is nice. All in all we would buy again. We plan to use it 98% on pavment; the rest maybe for camping, fall foliage or something - nothing hard core.

Favorite Features

Looks, ability to go in inclement weather or places (AWD), solid feel, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Better placement of controls, lower price, seat recline is knob operated.

Great SUV
By salamander

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I like the looks, the way it handles. It really turns heads as it zips thru traffic. BTW is the heated windsheild a standard option on the SE.?

Favorite Features

Sport mode , volume control on steering

Buyers Beware
By Jocita

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Filed Lemon Law on my vehicle! Ashamed that I had to give the vehicle up after a year. Had to take car over 13 times for brake squeak and got fed up. Electrical problems: Wipers ,back window, & radio shorted out. Back seat had annoying squeak when rode over bumps. Dealer could not fix problems. When shifting automatic, it was easy get gear shifter to get stuck between D & 4 on the gear shifter.

Favorite Features

I loved the truck. I liked the convertable aspect. Handled very well.

Suggested Improvements

Need easier way to remove the hard top, was a hassle. Needs to come in better colors.

What a GEM!
By babbs

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first SUV, previously I have owned Saabs, Audis, and a BMW. My Freelander handles as well or even better than any of my cars ever have. I receive many compliments on the look of the car. I feel extremely safe driving in all conditions, it handles well in all weather. It stops on a dime, and has excellent turning capabilities for an SUV. I will always own a Freelander. The performance, reliability, warranty, style make it a must have for anybody and any lifestyle. Perfect for someone that wants an SUV without feeling like you are driving a huge car.

Favorite Features

The look of the front of the car. Its handling, and its size. Needed to use warranty one time, dealership goes above and beyond. The drink holders in the doors, window controls between seats, rear window rolls down, great for my dog!

Suggested Improvements

Spice up interior overall look. Fantastic car, great name, but interior doesn't measure up. 2004 models are much better. Have loaner car even for those whom didn't buy directly from the dealership, but still have factory warranty.