2003 Land Rover Freelander SE3 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Land-rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

2003 Freelander Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Sort Reviews by

Smooth and simple
By facet

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

The ride of the Freelander is fantastic. It handles snow and ice without a hitch. I have taken it through 20 inches of unplowed snow, it did not have any problems. The AWD system works well.

Favorite Features

Handling and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

The drivers seat is a bit too high if you are tall then you may need to lean the seat back a bit. Please redesign the fuel cap.

Coolest SUV ever!
By Josh14109

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

The SE3 is Amazing. The whole idea of a convertable SUV is such a great idea. I've never been much of a Land Rover fan but they sure won me over with this one!

Favorite Features

Convertable back and sunroofs! The heated windshield is nice also.

Suggested Improvements

power seats

Fun little car
By sr11

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We wanted a little suv as a 2nd car to drive and commute with. With the sunroof and premium stereo, its a lot of fun to drive, no matter the weather. Definitely the best re handling/performance in its group. Gas still stinks but at least its regular. Usual British quirks but overall, we love it. Good news is if we need the extra trunk, we look for our 2001 discovery II.

Favorite Features

17 inch tires, premium stereo, heated front seats and windshield, independent suspension make handling much better than bigger brothers.

Suggested Improvements

No low range, open gas from the inside, rear disc brakes (though reviews noted the best brakes in group), and increase trunk space (next version will take care of all of this). As for the hp, land rovers arent made for racing so I accept the hp.

Ready for some fun
By allhu

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this vehicle for 5 months and 4000mi. and have no reliablity problems to report. This vehicle is really fun to drive on paved surfaces which is unique because it awesome in a light duty off road roll as well. I recently took it to a local off road park with my wife and we had a blast. The little monster climbed and descended 40% grades. Its really fun all four wheels engage. We were surounded by dedicated off road vehicles (not street legal)and although we did not attempt some of the punishing obstacles they did (self preservation), I'm sure we could have given them a run for the money if we had too.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is that I really enjoy driving this vehicle. Im 5'-11", 185lbs and the seats provide ample support for long drives. Also, I don't feel concerned about getting stuck if I have to turn off the pavement or drive through some mud or snow.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest that the rear cargo space be extended by at least 6 inches. Also the head room in the front seat should be a couple of inches higher.

Fun, Practical and Safe
By rigoberto gutierrez

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

On-road and Off-road, It's Impressive.My wife and two children love it too. We do everything and go every where, whatever the weather or the terrain. Smooth ride, low center of gravity makes corner and u-turn smoothly. I recommend it highly.

Favorite Features

4 wheel ABS-All Terrain Brake system, 4 wheel Electronic Traction Control, great audio system,

Suggested Improvements

power seats, include floor mats on msrp

Great Small SUV
By Spesh

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Handles great for an SUV and stops on a dime. Good looks outside, simple inside, but functional. Awesome in foul weather and limited off-road use so far. Great SUV, some minor complaints.

Favorite Features

Brakes and handling. Smooth ride. Great base stereo system. Full roof rack with S model (additional charge; higher models come standard with half- rack, but its not as good, functionally and aesthetically.

Suggested Improvements

A/C heat fans sounds like a jet engine when on highest setting. Doesn't approach EPA highway mileage when doing "real" highway speeds. Power steering too taunt at parking speeds.

02' Freelander S-review
By Jerome

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great car, very safe. Great fun when driving off road in the dirt !!!

Favorite Features

The stepstronic gearbox

Suggested Improvements

200 horsepower instead of 175

landrover freelander se
By ronaldassel

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

console box near the gear box, too low need to reach elbow level for resting. and size is small. foot space @ the back seat limited space, trunk space small, compared to toyota rav4 2001 has bigger trunk space. stereo system should have tape player, stereo system not that hi-tech. thx.

Favorite Features

awd,

Suggested Improvements

please read REVIEW BOX.

I still have money for the groceries!
By ev barrett

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle despite the price is a complete SUV. It performs well and is very comfortable for a 6 ft plus person. Window controls on the center console is a little awkward, smoke occasionaly rising from under the hood still mystifies me, but with only only one recall so far, I'm pleased. Seventeen inch wheels really set it off, and manufacturer incentive financing makes it a deal.

Favorite Features

Nimble yet stable handling makes it a gem.

Suggested Improvements

Stretch it out some, the abbreviated back line is a turnoff especially when viewed from the side.

Fun Car but reliability?
By Adam The Ant

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great Suv for playing hard! But the reliability of the Suv leaves a lot to be desired. In my first year alone a new transmission and 2 oil leaks expected to be the main seal but dealer will not say exactly what it is.

Favorite Features

Dealership gives me a rental car when mine is in the shop! Real fun to drive when it works.

Suggested Improvements

RELIABILITY@!!!