2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
Most Fun Vehicle for the Money
By baeverly on 05/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

After owning 4 big SUV's the wife wanted something smaller. Went looking at 4dooor model and bought the SE3 three days later. This car is FUN. Handles like a sportscar, has 4wd, and a covertible roof. Where else can you get a European Car that is 4wd and has a convertible top for the money?

SUV that Leaks Water!!!
By Joe Muratore on 05/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We've had our Freelander in the shop more than on the road! It took 4 tries to get the radio to work and we're on our 6th trip to get the roof from leaking - dealer can't find the problem. We've been told by friends to start the "lemon law" but we don't want to wait out the process. Although the dealership has been nice, they haven't been honest or competent!

Freelander-Best in my Experience
By LRMOM on 05/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned/driven "SUVs" for 23 years (Blazer-K5, Jeep-Cherokee, Pathfinder), but the Freelander clearly performs above the rest for handling, pure utility, and fun to drive. After 20,000 miles, not one mechanical issue. The cargo room is small, but will suffice for runs to the hardware, hauling one piece of furniture, or a trip for four who pack light. I would buy this car again without question.

Amazing!
By Cornellian on 05/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I LOVE IT!! Amazing in horrendous conditions! Really powerful and cute too :)

I love my Freelander!
By KPR on 04/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Leased Freelander SE with the sunroof and the heated seats. Love this car. Dealership (Land Rover Massapequa NY) was phenomenal. Flip you the keys to test drive it and you're off. Sales process no hassle, no meeting with any "finance people". The interior is basic, like most LR's. Exterior is different, you won't look like everyone else in their Ford Toyota Jeep etc. Recently on a road trip into 40-50 mph wind and driving rain sleet. Car was comfortable at 70+. My parents have owned 5 LR's Disco and Range Rover, this car is as good overall as any. Yes the ergonomics of the cupholders and window buttons are odd but that's the way they are on all LR's.

Good small SUV
By Leos on 04/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

For the price of Ford,Honda, or Toyota.

Rover buyer from here on out
By Tx Red Rover on 04/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

If buying a Land Rover is going to be this easy in the future, I will NEVER buy anything else. The guys at Land Rover San Antonio could not have been better. 1 1/2 hour test drive, paid for and had the keys in 20 minutes. This Rover is great. Small enough to be practical, good cargo room when needed. Comfortable inside. Some complain about the interior. Wake up, it's a SUV, not a sports car. If you want wood and leather, buy a BMW. Great 'English' feel. Very practical and easy to use. Good pick up, which is needed in the land of monster SUV's driven by soccer moms on the cell phone. When you buy one, you really do become part of the 'Land Rover Family'.

More than a pretty face
By jersey on 04/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is not just another cute ute. I have recently had this SUV seriously off-road it can perform. Even the professional trail guide was impressed. I like the interior, but this is definitely a matter of personal taste. Concerns about storage and on-dash cupholders are BS. I've take a couple of fast-food cups down a rough dirt road with zero spillage. There is limited seat travel and no height adjust. The sun-visor is poorly designed and blocks vision due to its design unless you are short. Rear storage is smaller, but still adequate for most people.

Freelander Lover
By JSD on 03/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just bought this great little SUV. We did lots of comparison shopping and found this to be a really great value - my husband was able to use his Ford X plan on this SUV. We are a family of 4 and thought we were sacrificing cargo space when we bought this vehicle. However, I was pleasantly surprised when we started filling up the back. There is a lot more room than you think. The cabin area is very roomy and comfortable. The ride is very smooth and, so far, it gets good gas mileage. Would highly recommend this SUV! The dealership we went through was a very pleasant experience too!

Upper Class Compact SUV
By Rover723 on 03/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Although the Freelander is compared with the Honda and Rav4, I don't think it should be. After riding all three, the Freelander feel much more solid and designed for much more aggressive off road experiences while really giving off a "European" feel while on the black top. Weighing in at 4500lbs due to all the steel reinforcements, it can use a little more HP, but it still has a little punch accelerating. The interior is all business but still has a conservative upper class feel. All in all the 2003 model gives much more SUV than others in its class and brings with it the prestige of Land Rover.