Used 2003 Land Rover Freelander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Land Rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Red Rover
By Andy King

2003 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has been great for us, and I enjoy driving it. It's a high- scale suv with a very attractive exterior.

I really like the windshield defroster, the style of the grill

none

The best Truck I've Owned
By Suzq

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

In my years of truck ownership I've owned them all. Land Rover is by far the best. This car drives like my son's BMW three series on the road, and better than my old Hummer off road. People trip when they see this car; which is its only down side. There's constantly finger prints on my windows. The seats are really comfortable, even on a straight through 1,000 mile road trip. It handles great in all weather, and like a dream in the rockies. Only minor complaints for this car like the cupholder, but nothing to cry about. I've only had to bring it in to the dealer for the oil change.

It drives great everywhere. Even in the dead of winter on Colorado mountin passes. People can't keep their eye's off of you when you're in or out of this car. Of course the off road abilities are unserpassed.

Only minor things. The cupholders let cups tip over, and the plastic lever you lift to get in the back seats breaks really easy. Land Rover: please make a more ambiguous car. I'm tired of people asking me what it's. Buyer beware: this car draws attention

consumer nightmare
By brian brickey

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

The vehicle is fun to drive and handles well in adverse weather conditions.BUT it has a few problems, like the brakes wear out faster than any other vehicle you only get about 24000 miles out of a set of brakes and i don't do a whole lot of braking. I came to find out from other freelander owners that the brakes tend to heat up fast and then it set off your traction control warning. it tends to create more of a problem in the summer.The gas mileage for an suv this size is not the greatest.one of the biggest problems is you can only get the filter from a landrover dealer you just cant take it to the nearest jiffy lube to have your oil changed.it also doesnt have alot of room for car seats .

I like the over all design of the vehicle .the vehicle handles well snd is fun to drive.

the vehicle needs more head room.The fuel economy needs to be improved.the oil filters need be something that evry jiffy lube carrys and not some thing you have to take up to the dealer.The issue with th ebreaks needs to be taken care of.the way the vehicle shifts is horrible.

Not Happy
By Julie

2003 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my Freelander 16 months. So far the battery had to be replaced, a vaccum hose has been replaced, the heater core went and when fixing that the vaccum motor had to be replaced. I am now on my 3rd radio due to problems with the radio or GPS. And my new problem is the lighter has quit working. Of course this has all been covered by warranty but should all this be wrong with a new car and an inconvience to me as I had to keep taking the vehicle to the dealership until my husband bought the LR3 so now they bring me a loaner and pick mine up. I really like the design of the vehicle but service was not good until we became a 2 Landrover Household.

I like the fact I sit higher and can see the road better. I also like the heated windshield. It was a great help in the Winter.

I think by now Landrover is aware of the problems they have with the radio that they could fix the problem instead of replacing a defective radio with another defective radio.

Think twice
By Randy

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car in 2003 because I wanted a sporty, fun and upscale SUV. Since then, I have had numerous problems with this vehicle. These problems include the engine not shutting off while no key in the ignition, severe alignment issues that could not be fixed by Land Rover and an A/C system that shoots ice out of the vents on hot days. I am very diappointed in this vehicle.

Roomy interior, sporty look, great stereo system

Electrical system overhaul needed, heating and cooling very difficult to achieve, constant fogging of windows in winter