2003 Land Rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
Freelander
By Geoff B on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Freelander is an excellent SUV. Performs well for both on road an off- road applications. Surprisingly more able than expected off-road. Has great driving position. Major draw-back is poor fuel economy combined with small fuel tank limiting range.

Here it is
By Katarin on 08/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Not much for the money spent

Winner of Our 10-Vehicle Drive-Off!
By j!m on 07/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We spent a month researching the 17 vehicles in this category, and test- drove 10in a multi-round drive-off; this one had the best balance of on- and off-road capability, and ultimately, off-road performance was the decider. Traction Control, in particular, has already carried us through five spots where other vehicles without it got stuck. Dealer-sponsored outings are great, and we held our own with ~20 Discoverys on medium-rated trails with rocks, steep grades, water crossings, and soft sand; most of all, the Freelander is FUN, FUN, FUN to drive!

Freelander S
By JoeHD7 on 07/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle cries out for a 5 speed. The engine has limited gearing and is not fast off the line but likes to go in the 60-80 mph range. Gas mileage is in the low 20's, not really great for this size vehicle. The Freelander feels tight and handles well in the rain/snow/ice of Western new York

nothing but problems!!!!!
By mike w on 07/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

i have had my freelander for about a month now and it has been in the shop 4 times. where do i start.... a/c spits water out of vents, front brakes squeek and grind when i turn right and now for the latest i got in my car this morning anf my passenger side floor in the front and the back were completly soaked with water. i am completly unhappy with this vehicle!!! buying it was great at the dealer my saleman was great, even the service department is nice it is not their fault that the car is a total jalopy!!!!!!!! i have already contacted land rover and basically told them i do not want this vehicle anymore!!!!

Great Impressions, Problems persist
By ATK on 07/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

When I bought this car I thought I got a reliable vehicle. I have had to take it to the dealer for recalls and other problems. The sprinklers broke, a window doesn't work, the car jerks when started, the descent control/4 wheel drive failed and when the dealer hooked my car to its computer it gave the wrong readings. After calling Rover about these problems they say the dealer will fix them. I can't go to the dealer regularly to fix these "small mechanical problems." The dealers are inept. I take my car to the Amarillo Dealer; they fix the current problem; a week later something just happens to break. If you want a reliable car, search elsewhere.

Solid, but needs improvement
By JMO on 06/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Beware of the small gas tank. SUV with a 15 gallon tank.

My new SE3
By phocuschad on 06/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

When looking at a five door SUV, I think there are a few other places to look. The Freelander is excellent offroad, but if you aren't going to take it there, it isn't really worth it. But since this is the only choice for someone who wants storage, wants offroading, wants comfort, and wants open air. The SE3 combines everything, and is worth every penny.

proud owner
By freelanderproudowner on 06/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the best of all SUV's out there. Its like a best kept secret and also got a great deal. Pleasure to drive, fun to won, awesome looks, different from all the rest. Plenty of features come standard.

HSE is Having Superior Enjoyment !
By HSE Owner on 05/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this Land Rover from Dimmitt in Clearwater on 5/15/03. Great dealer. John the salesman is excellent. I went from a Ford Harley F150 to this so I lost some features I was used to (not to mention power) that should be on this SUV for it's price tag. Such as auto lights, keyless entry and a better sound system (Harmon Kardon is not very good despite what people think). However, I love this and don't miss my truck at all. It is a little small (I'm 6'1) but still comfortable. People complain about the power but I thinks it pretty quick. It does shift a bit hard.