Used 2003 Land Rover Freelander SE3 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Land-rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

My Freelander Experience
By sarahjane24

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Though I loved this car, it was NOT a good investment. My 2003 landrover had one problem after another. The 4 years I had it, I easily put over a thousand dollars each year for repairs. Land Rover parts are EXPENSIVE. I had TWO new engines within 4 years (thank god for warranty). I also had to replace multiple window motors, a muffler, the starter, pumps, axels...the list goes on. The repairs don't seem like big repairs, but these parts are NOT cheap. Unfortunately, a deer ran into my drivers side and TOTALED it. It seemed insane! The damage was moderate I'd say. But because its so expensive to fix...my baby is gone.

Favorite Features

Drives great in snow, smooth ride, build.

Suggested Improvements

Engine, Starter, Windows. Muffler. (Numerous repairs/replacements needed)

awesome first car experience
By beetlejuiceplz

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

i bought my se3 at 34,000 miles as my first car in 2007. after recently selling the car, i now realize how lucky i was to have such a reliable car. the only time i had to take the car in during the 4 years i owned it was to get the get the oil changed (which is expensive because it will only accept synthetic oil barf). towards the end of my relationship with the car however (aprox. 74,000 miles), engine lights began coming on due to an ABS sensor which costs $540 dollars for just the part itself! I also have read that these cars dont usually last much longer after 100,000 miles. my suggestion is to obviously buy this car with low miles in order to have an awesome car experience.

Favorite Features

it can drive over ANYTHING, it is a very fast SUV, very comfortable inside, the window buttons are in the center which is always fun as you watch your passengers panic, also the detachable roof option is a must.

Suggested Improvements

this car was great.

Don't buy
By jin

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has nothing but problems since day one. The extended warranty helped but the car has been a money pit. It is in the shop every two months, engine light is always on, this time the time belts had to be changed at 46,000 miles. Electrical problems abound, Fuel economy is terrible, interior design is a joke and as stated reliability is very poor. It has cost more to maintain this vehicle that what it cost to buy.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Junk it.

Still love it.
By OrangeSE3

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased mine used in 2004. Did have a coolant/oil issue. Land Rover replaced the engine under original manufacturers warranty and I've not had an issue since. I average around 22 MPG. It's a great vehicle and fun to drive. Handles amazing in the snow.

Favorite Features

Removable top & sunroof. Harmon Kardon sound system. Amazing room in the rear seat.

Suggested Improvements

Better seating material, current "technical fabric" doesn't breath and can make you sweat in hot weather. More HP and soft top should be included. More ground clearance.

Don't walk, run away
By Mark

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We owned this vehicle for approximately 20 months. Total cost of repairs exceeded $16,000.00. No kidding. The engine has inherent design flaws. The cylinder sleeves will fail, coolant will flow into the block, your motor will be shot. You will experience electrical failures right and left. This is the second and last product we will buy from Land Rover and Range Rover. Utterly worthless vehicles. Our Discovery was only marginally better. Gulps fuel as well.

Favorite Features

Heated Windshield is cool.

Suggested Improvements

Don't buy Land Rovers or Range Rovers. Guarantied disappointments