2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
My Freelander Experience
By sarahjane24 on 12/05/13 11:01 AM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Though I loved this car, it was NOT a good investment. My 2003 landrover had one problem after another. The 4 years I had it, I easily put over a thousand dollars each year for repairs. Land Rover parts are EXPENSIVE. I had TWO new engines within 4 years (thank god for warranty). I also had to replace multiple window motors, a muffler, the starter, pumps, axels...the list goes on. The repairs don't seem like big repairs, but these parts are NOT cheap. Unfortunately, a deer ran into my drivers side and TOTALED it. It seemed insane! The damage was moderate I'd say. But because its so expensive to fix...my baby is gone.

awesome first car experience
By beetlejuiceplz on 05/24/11 11:58 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

i bought my se3 at 34,000 miles as my first car in 2007. after recently selling the car, i now realize how lucky i was to have such a reliable car. the only time i had to take the car in during the 4 years i owned it was to get the get the oil changed (which is expensive because it will only accept synthetic oil barf). towards the end of my relationship with the car however (aprox. 74,000 miles), engine lights began coming on due to an ABS sensor which costs $540 dollars for just the part itself! I also have read that these cars dont usually last much longer after 100,000 miles. my suggestion is to obviously buy this car with low miles in order to have an awesome car experience.

Don't buy
By jin on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has nothing but problems since day one. The extended warranty helped but the car has been a money pit. It is in the shop every two months, engine light is always on, this time the time belts had to be changed at 46,000 miles. Electrical problems abound, Fuel economy is terrible, interior design is a joke and as stated reliability is very poor. It has cost more to maintain this vehicle that what it cost to buy.

Still love it.
By OrangeSE3 on 08/10/10 13:05 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased mine used in 2004. Did have a coolant/oil issue. Land Rover replaced the engine under original manufacturers warranty and I've not had an issue since. I average around 22 MPG. It's a great vehicle and fun to drive. Handles amazing in the snow.

Don't walk, run away
By Mark on 12/28/09 12:50 PM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We owned this vehicle for approximately 20 months. Total cost of repairs exceeded $16,000.00. No kidding. The engine has inherent design flaws. The cylinder sleeves will fail, coolant will flow into the block, your motor will be shot. You will experience electrical failures right and left. This is the second and last product we will buy from Land Rover and Range Rover. Utterly worthless vehicles. Our Discovery was only marginally better. Gulps fuel as well.

I'm buying American!
By uscarbuyer on 07/02/08 15:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

My Land Rover owned me. I have never owned a vehicle that required so much maintenance. I have never off-roaded in my Land Rover, nor have I had a fender bender or accident. I purely drive on the pavement to and from work, and in town driving to the movies, dinner, etc. My car is a southern car and has only seen snow for two weeks in the almost 5 years it has owned me. I cannot recommend buying any Land Rover! Anything that goes wrong you are told it is the "British design". Brakes and batteries are expected to last 10-20K miles. I cannot remember the number of recall notices, too many to count. At times the windows won't power down. I thought I would enjoy the durability. Nope. All of the cap covers & compartment covers fall off. My drink holder spring fell out for no apparent reason. I am not tough on my car & it is literally falling apart. I will find plastic pieces on the floor & have no idea where they came from. I'm buying American!

2003 Land Rover FREELANDER 6-Cyl. 2.5 L
By Bellap on 03/02/08 21:21 PM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

When I bought this vehicle 3/07. I thought it was sporty and great size. With all the bells and whistles. Soon after buying this found that one of the tires was bad, had to have that replaced. Then found my brake lights had issues. Took back to the dealership advised they never worked properly. All within 1 mo. of buying this. Then recall: Brake Light Switch Replacement Recall Action P004. Which came after 6mos of me owning this. Then 2/19/08 my engine over heated. We thought oh, maybe new thermostat. Nope, the whole engine has to be replaced. Guess what? It can't be found. Currently stuck in a car rental warranty only covers 6 days. So I am SOL. Do not buy this vehicle.

Very disappointing
By My headache is gone! on 09/04/07 07:15 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

LR had a poorly build entry level SUV. Hard to attract current owners to move up to high end models. It eats up brake quickly. Cost almost $600 to change brake pads and rotars every 10K miles. V6 engine is weak and doesn't have any pick up power. Coolant leak even after the dealership fixed twice. Extremely high maintenance cost for a SUV/car that costs only mid $20K. When we purchased the Freelander, dealer was rude since it was the cheapest model out of all the LR models. The value depreciates quickly. After having it for 4 years, I finally sold it.

Good for what it is
By Mike on 10/17/06 19:22 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the SE3 for my wife about a year ago. So far we have not had any real problems. The front brakes had a dragging problem but the dealership corrected the problem. The detachable top is great, my wife loves stripping it down for the carolina summer. The traction control works GREAT in snow and ice, we go to the mountains on the weekends and the freelander goes through the snow as well as my truck (and that is saying something). The interior is easy to clean and works well with the jeep like feel. All in all a great car for the wife and a fun car to drive.

Very fun car to own and drive.
By John on 09/28/06 14:46 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had no problems at all. The colors are very fun (yellow). Perfect car for young person.