Used 2003 Land Rover Freelander HSE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Land-rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Warning to all...
By Sarah

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my car in 2005 and it was under warranty until 2008. While under warranty, they had to replace 2 window motors, the sunroof motor, a fuel valve and eventually they put a rebuilt engine in this money pit! Fortunately, I did not have to pay for any of that-I just spend endless hours/days at the dealer. I should have been forwarned. In the past month (mind you I am 8 months pregnant)it's left me stranded on the highway twice. Battery was the first cause (ok, batteries need to be replaced) but 1 week later, here I am stranded without a car again (it died while driving and I'm waiting on the problem this time.) I am furious and WILL NEVER BUY any sort of Land Rover product again!!

Favorite Features

It's a good-looking car.

Suggested Improvements

Other than what is in my review: Oil changes over $100, needs breaks every year $100 - $200. It's a terrible purchase and has cost me over $5000 in 4 years in repairs!

Worst Vehicle I have ever bought
By sripley

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This SUV has a major design flaw affecting the Head Gasket, causing Coolant to seep into the Oil and Cylinders. The SUV cannot be repaired once this issue occurs. I would not recommend buying this vehicle, as it will only cost you thousands of dollars and in the end result in the SUV's engine seizing.

Favorite Features

None-- worst car

Suggested Improvements

See above Head Gasket Failure

Made a mistake
By Diana Sargent

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

The ride was ok. felt safe. Loved the looks. No pick up. wipers broke motor in window went out. engine problems. LR does not stand behind there product. Warranty was denied under bumper to bumper. Inside controls were in a weird spots. seats were to stiff.

Favorite Features

look of the exterior

Suggested Improvements

Change design of engine add more horse power and fix head gasket leaks

Not Happy
By Julie

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my Freelander 16 months. So far the battery had to be replaced, a vaccum hose has been replaced, the heater core went and when fixing that the vaccum motor had to be replaced. I am now on my 3rd radio due to problems with the radio or GPS. And my new problem is the lighter has quit working. Of course this has all been covered by warranty but should all this be wrong with a new car and an inconvience to me as I had to keep taking the vehicle to the dealership until my husband bought the LR3 so now they bring me a loaner and pick mine up. I really like the design of the vehicle but service was not good until we became a 2 Landrover Household.

Favorite Features

I like the fact I sit higher and can see the road better. I also like the heated windshield. It was a great help in the Winter.

Suggested Improvements

I think by now Landrover is aware of the problems they have with the radio that they could fix the problem instead of replacing a defective radio with another defective radio.

The curse of Lucas electrics lives
By aatk

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I'm a Brit. I bought a British car built by scousers. I should have known better. This must have been a Friday vehicle. So far we're up to a new engine management computer, a new nav system, 2 heads (for the stereo) and it's back in the shop for a problem with the airbags that they can't seem to diagnose. There have been other minor problems (faulty power windows etc). At least it's all under warranty... If it hadn't lost 1/3 of it's value in 12 months I'd be getting rid of it and going back to a BMW. As it is I'll probably amortise the cost over another year.

Favorite Features

Drives like a car.

Suggested Improvements

Vorsprung durch technik as they say. (or keep away from british electronics) Reliability is none-existent.