2003 Land Rover Freelander SE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Land-rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

2003 Freelander Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Sort Reviews by

Pleasantly supprised
By dukesush

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Recently purchased a used Freelander and we are very pleased with it. Very sharp looking exterior. Very fun to drive, especially in sport mode. We perform all recomended maintenance on schedule, which I gather is vital with the Freelanders and it has given us no issues. The stock audio system is the best sounding I've heard in a ten year old vehicle. We are getting good fuel milage too, about 23 MPG.

Favorite Features

Tight handling, smooth ride. Powerfull in sport mode. Sound system.

Suggested Improvements

A little more cargo space would be nice. The need for 5w 50 Synthetic oil is a pain.

Frustrated
By sheyrend

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We recently helped purchase this vehicle for our son for college. We wish we would have read these reviews first. We had the vehicle a week, and it overheated. Our son never has had the chance to drive it, but now has a car payment - and repair costs worth twice the cost of the vehicle. The thermostat repair is over $900, the oxygen sensors $1100, and now the head gasket and sleeve repair, over $7500. Needless to say, the vehicle cost $6500, and now the repairs have more than doubled that. I have contacted multiple class action lawyers today. Hopefully something can come of this, and this can ber rectified!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

Engine cooling system, and transer of coolant to oil. Head gasket and sleeve problems. I understand the original European engine which is diesel is awesome and runs forever, but that modifications have been made to bring it to America, and a gas engine replaced the diesel.

Can't understand all the frustration
By Learn How to Drive

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just thought I should give my 2 cents about this car. Everyone on here must not know how to maintain a vehicle because even after buying mine used with 58,000 miles, I haven't had any unexpected problems. People need to understand that this is a foreign, luxury SUV and requires more driver knowledge. You can't just put gas in it and expect it to maintain itself. I check the fluids every other week and change the oil every 3000 miles. Gas mileage is decent for an SUV of this age. Yes, parts are a bit more expensive but this is expected with any foreign vehicle. Personally, I think this is a safe, fun, and reliable vehicle that I am very proud to own.

Favorite Features

This SUV looks amazing! I always get compliments. I love driving with the sunroof open. Turning radius is superb; it turns on a dime. Parking is a breeze, too. Stereo sounds great. AWD is a great feature, especially on slick roads. Heated windshield is neat. The rims also look great; very sporty.

Suggested Improvements

The buttons are in weird places and took a little getting used to. Cup holders are in an awkward place but they get the job done. I still don't like the antenna being where it is, but I can deal with it. Seats should be power but they arent. It feels like the clock is a mile away.

Yes - sadly I join the masses
By s white

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Today I join the mass of disappointed Freelander owners as I became victim too, of the mysterious disappearing coolant. Well, not so mysterious. Yes - Land Rover of Harrisburg called, the car they sold to me just a little over 2 1/2 years ago -JUNK! I was told I was actually lucky I made it to 110,000 before the engine went. Yes - Land Rover of America told me they had no knowledge of any problem with the engines. Guess employees there are blocked from using Google. Can't get most parts. We were trying to find a rear windshield wiper and rear window motor. Now we know - Land Rover has cut off all ties to the Freelander including parts support. DON'T BUY. SELL QUICK!

Suggested Improvements

Any manufacturer with an ounce of integrity would own up to the problems and make them right. Clearly the Freelander engine has a clear an predictable engine failure. Clearly that failure is a design flaw. Why does the burden of poor engineering fall to the consumer?

Renamed ****lander
By Dawson

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Wow, What a huge mistake this Small SUV is. All I can say is thank god We purchased an extended warranty. We paid $14,000 for this car and have had close to $20,000 in repairs in 2 years! We blew the original motor at 80,000 km and that was replaced. Within 10,000 km that replacement motor blew. Covered under land rover warranty. Not really sure that a "new" motor was ever put in. what a pile of garbage.

Favorite Features

good coffee at the dealership

Suggested Improvements

buy something else

Beware! Total Lemon
By chrisl

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This care is a piece of crap. UNDEPENDABLE! Have had it 3 years and nothing but problems. Thank God I purchased an aftermarket warranty which more than paid for itself. The warranty has expired and I have to dump this car pronto and cut my losses. Anyone who owns this car and hasn't had problems should consider themselves lucky as it seems to be few and far in between.

Favorite Features

I love the way the car rides. It handles bumps very well and seems like a sturdy vehicle. It also handles excellent in the snow- like a go cart. Too bad I need to dump it

Suggested Improvements

LR cut their losses and quit manufacturing the car so there's really nothing they can do now to improve it. Surprised there is a class action law suit

Great to drive, for 2 only though
By johnmpc94

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this SUV used, and have had no problems yet. Vehicle was recalled once, and we spent 1hr 30mins at the dealer, then left with the entire vehicle smelling like gas. Fast for a 2.5L V6, handles like a go-cart, and comfortable for the driver. Passengers in the back seat suffer. Seats at near 90 degree angles, and are hard as concrete. Not good for people who grocery-shop with the family, as the cargo area doesn't have enough room for two weeks worth of meals. I've noticed lately that the back hatch is having trouble as well. When closed, the back glass doesn't go up correctly. Only thing wrong with it is the back left power window, which hasn't worked since we bought it. Otherwise great.

Favorite Features

Goes fast and can easily be maintained at high speeds. Power back glass a nice touch. Front seats comfortable. Radio interface, cd-changer, and steering wheel controls a must, and easy to use. Heated seats great for cold mornings. Makes no sound until you want it to.

Suggested Improvements

Power windows notoriously bad, back glass trouble going into frame when closing, remote-activated back glass inconvenient. Sounds like a sewing machine at idle (not entirely bad, but could be better). Back seats horrible for anyone without perfect posture, as well as cramped. Too small cargo spaces.

Worst car ever
By mr0618

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was so excited to own a Land Rover. The excitement did not last very long. I only owned this vehicle for 2 years and it broke down every few months. It is also extremely uncomfortable, too tiny.

Favorite Features

NONE

Suggested Improvements

Luckily this model is discontinued. Do not buy a used one! You'll regret it.

Money Pit
By bethannsw

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car is a money pit. Bought it as the only car for our family of 4. Fabulous in snow, but bad for your wallet. $3000 to repair massive coolant leaks, new fuel pump, ball bearing (??) needs replaced amongst other things. Check engine light is on and vehicle is shaking and barely running. I've only had it 2 yrs and it has 70K miles on it. There should be a large law suit filed against Land Rover for this vehicle as it seems to have the same problems and even the Land Rover dealerships tell you it's a horrible car. Shame on you Land Rover!

Favorite Features

Good in snow.

Suggested Improvements

Recall for all majors failures that seem to occur in all the the Freelanders.

A Nightmare in Sheep's Clothing
By Dale Booth

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Well, Where do I start - Land Rover ought to really be ashamed of the product they built. This engine design is a total joke. I had my Freelander approx. 1 year before I had to trade it in. The problem was with a leak of the engine coolant into the engine. This slow leak was unrepairable. The only TEMPORARY solution was a new engine for a cost of $10K, according to Land Rover-Jaguar of Houston. I had them put the SUV back together and drove it to the nearest TOYOTA dealership where I traded it for a 2005 Toyota 4Runner. It has been happy driving ever since. MY ADVICE TO ANYONE THINKING ABOUT PURCHASING A NEW OR USED LAND ROVER. DON'T DO IT; UNLESS YOU HAVE MONEY FOR REPAIRS.

Favorite Features

Interior/Exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the engineers who designed the engine for the Freelander, now the LR2 & LR3.