2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
Warning to all...
By Sarah on 10/01/09 09:02 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my car in 2005 and it was under warranty until 2008. While under warranty, they had to replace 2 window motors, the sunroof motor, a fuel valve and eventually they put a rebuilt engine in this money pit! Fortunately, I did not have to pay for any of that-I just spend endless hours/days at the dealer. I should have been forwarned. In the past month (mind you I am 8 months pregnant)it's left me stranded on the highway twice. Battery was the first cause (ok, batteries need to be replaced) but 1 week later, here I am stranded without a car again (it died while driving and I'm waiting on the problem this time.) I am furious and WILL NEVER BUY any sort of Land Rover product again!!

Worst Vehicle I have ever bought
By sripley on 04/16/08 13:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This SUV has a major design flaw affecting the Head Gasket, causing Coolant to seep into the Oil and Cylinders. The SUV cannot be repaired once this issue occurs. I would not recommend buying this vehicle, as it will only cost you thousands of dollars and in the end result in the SUV's engine seizing.

Made a mistake
By Diana Sargent on 03/27/07 20:45 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

The ride was ok. felt safe. Loved the looks. No pick up. wipers broke motor in window went out. engine problems. LR does not stand behind there product. Warranty was denied under bumper to bumper. Inside controls were in a weird spots. seats were to stiff.

Not Happy
By Julie on 05/29/05 10:52 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my Freelander 16 months. So far the battery had to be replaced, a vaccum hose has been replaced, the heater core went and when fixing that the vaccum motor had to be replaced. I am now on my 3rd radio due to problems with the radio or GPS. And my new problem is the lighter has quit working. Of course this has all been covered by warranty but should all this be wrong with a new car and an inconvience to me as I had to keep taking the vehicle to the dealership until my husband bought the LR3 so now they bring me a loaner and pick mine up. I really like the design of the vehicle but service was not good until we became a 2 Landrover Household.

The curse of Lucas electrics lives
By aatk on 11/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I'm a Brit. I bought a British car built by scousers. I should have known better. This must have been a Friday vehicle. So far we're up to a new engine management computer, a new nav system, 2 heads (for the stereo) and it's back in the shop for a problem with the airbags that they can't seem to diagnose. There have been other minor problems (faulty power windows etc). At least it's all under warranty... If it hadn't lost 1/3 of it's value in 12 months I'd be getting rid of it and going back to a BMW. As it is I'll probably amortise the cost over another year.

New Land Rover owner
By NewRoverOwner on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have always like the Land Rovers but could not accept the 12-14 MPG of the larger Discovery or Range Rover. The Freelander fit my needs with many of the features I would expect from a Land Rover. Was surprised it lacked several features listed below in the "Suggested Improvement" section. Great car so far. Also had a great experience with the dealership sales staff.

Freelander
By Geoff B on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Freelander is an excellent SUV. Performs well for both on road an off- road applications. Surprisingly more able than expected off-road. Has great driving position. Major draw-back is poor fuel economy combined with small fuel tank limiting range.

HSE is Having Superior Enjoyment !
By HSE Owner on 05/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this Land Rover from Dimmitt in Clearwater on 5/15/03. Great dealer. John the salesman is excellent. I went from a Ford Harley F150 to this so I lost some features I was used to (not to mention power) that should be on this SUV for it's price tag. Such as auto lights, keyless entry and a better sound system (Harmon Kardon is not very good despite what people think). However, I love this and don't miss my truck at all. It is a little small (I'm 6'1) but still comfortable. People complain about the power but I thinks it pretty quick. It does shift a bit hard.

Upper Class Compact SUV
By Rover723 on 03/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Although the Freelander is compared with the Honda and Rav4, I don't think it should be. After riding all three, the Freelander feel much more solid and designed for much more aggressive off road experiences while really giving off a "European" feel while on the black top. Weighing in at 4500lbs due to all the steel reinforcements, it can use a little more HP, but it still has a little punch accelerating. The interior is all business but still has a conservative upper class feel. All in all the 2003 model gives much more SUV than others in its class and brings with it the prestige of Land Rover.