2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
2003 Range Rover Freelander
By cvandiver on 05/14/12 18:55 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just purchased a 2003 Land Rover, I have had this for 1 week and it is already given me problems. The first day I found out ignition key will not unlock the drivers door, which by the way is the only lock on this rig besides the tailgate, the gas cap fell apart in my hands, the gas mileage is really bad. Driving today it is shifting on its own going down the road, but is shifting hard. The dash is blinking 4F and is says that it is decending down hill,. Being in park is it saying 4F. I took it to the dealership had their mechanic come out and take a look, he checked it out and is saying that I have a Transmition Problem. This is NOT GOOD, used dealer is not anwering our calls to him,NOT GOOD

Free at last!
By Jay D. on 05/02/10 17:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

At first I loved this car but as with many love affairs it wasn't long before the honeymoon was over. We did everything we were supposed to do to take care of this car but despite that it still was a nightmare. If it wasn't one thing it was another. Very expensive to repair and LR's customer service isn't very good (understatement). We were also told by them to trade it in before it was too late and that's exactly what we did. We are now proud Toyota owners. If you have one and it hasn't given you any trouble it won't be long before it will. GET RID OF IT! If you are thinking of buying one, STOP!

Avoid this money hole
By rdbolger on 02/25/10 21:55 PM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Endless expensive electrical and mechanical failures. The engine however is well known for it's self-destructive tendency and poor design. (It costs over $800 to replace a thermostat O-ring) The cylinder sleeves tend to slip sending coolant into the oil. The engine is no longer made and parts are extremely expensive. There are 2 catalytic converters (about $1000 each)

What was I thinking?
By Ana on 01/27/10 20:23 PM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Thought Landrover and Range Rover were reliable vehicles until purchasing my Freelander.What a mistake! After the 5th month of driving it I was left stranded. The thing just completely shut down! Come to find out it was the fuel system. The thing sat at the mechanics for two months, until the part came in from the Dealer in Albuquerque. The fuel pump cost $595! The recall for the fuel system came in August so off to the Dealership we went! & they said the timing belts need replacing (cost: $1800 - it has three). The oil changes we do ourselves for $65 everytime! Or $100 if you can find a decent place that'll do it. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS VEHICLE! Unless you like to throw away your money!

NIGHTMARE ON WHEELS
By n on 03/30/09 23:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

If you own this car you need to run, not walk to trade it in! Do a little research and you will be sick. This car turned evil out of nowhere. There is a defect in the cooling system that should have been recalled and can't be fixed. I was stuck without a car for nearly 2mnths because of this devil. Had no choice but to have it repoed, because the cost of repair is equal to what I owe...not that it can be fixed anyways! Took it to 4 different foreign shops and they don't want anything to do with it. Now I'm stuck having to file bankruptcy over this mess. I would hate to see anyone go through this, wish I would of done some research before buying Land Rover.

Agree with the class action suit
By Barb Pentz on 03/27/09 16:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Had my car for 2 yrs, has 83000 miles on the car. The fuel pump went, upper air intake needed replaced and it too leaked coolant into the oil causing me to need a new engine. All in a 7 month period. The Land Rover dealer told me these cars are unreliable and they have this problem at least once a month. He told me to get rid of it because I will only have more problems. What does that tell you when the dealer thinks it is a piece of junk!!!

Another Bad Review
By Cono on 12/07/08 16:45 PM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this vehicle as a certified used for my wife to drive. The vehicle was covered under warranty until 03/2008, at which point I knew it's days were limited. We've repaired a door sensor ($400) and coolant leak ($700)within the last 8 months. Luckily, we just traded the unit, but only before the vehicle needed a $700 wheel bearing repair. We were lucky. Read the other consumer reviews.

Worst purchase ever
By cb on 11/25/08 14:15 PM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my LR used with 40000 miles & thank God I bought the extended warranty! It was in the shop 18 times in 16 months-1 time it sat there for 6 months waiting for an engine that cost me 15,000 dollars! Coolant leaks coils going out window motors broken. At 44,000 miles new engine-I waited 6 mos for that one. 5 months later same problem- I needed another new engine! Out of my 18 trips to the dealer 15 were the same engine problems. The dealer bought it back as a lemon. Oh yeah-it was towed 7 of the 18 times because it didn't run. Never again will I buy a LR. Buyer beware-you will have problems!

My biggest headache
By 2003 Freelander on 06/24/08 11:39 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle certified December of 2006 and I've had nothing but problems. First, I had to have the ball bearing replaced (under warranty $3,000). Then the engine ran hot 3x's, each time the coolant had run out and had to be replaced. The 4th time I had to take it in due to the coolant again, it turned out that I needed a new engine! Thank God for warranties ($7,000). Now it's in the shop again because the gasket needs replacing. I spoke with a Land Rover mechanic that told me to get rid of it. He also said that there have been several problems with the Freelander in general. Further, he said that I will continue to have problems that are expensive if I keep it.

Love My Freelander!
By LoveMyRover on 08/10/07 10:52 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had mine for 4 years and have not had any problems with the engine or any of the technical stuff (power windows, etc). I do a lot of trail blazing and this car has gotten me places other SUVs can't (or won't) go. While I feel bad for those who have obviously gotten cars with factory defects, don't let that deter you from buying this very fun car!