Used 2003 Land Rover Freelander S SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Land-rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

2003 Range Rover Freelander
By cvandiver

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just purchased a 2003 Land Rover, I have had this for 1 week and it is already given me problems. The first day I found out ignition key will not unlock the drivers door, which by the way is the only lock on this rig besides the tailgate, the gas cap fell apart in my hands, the gas mileage is really bad. Driving today it is shifting on its own going down the road, but is shifting hard. The dash is blinking 4F and is says that it is decending down hill,. Being in park is it saying 4F. I took it to the dealership had their mechanic come out and take a look, he checked it out and is saying that I have a Transmition Problem. This is NOT GOOD, used dealer is not anwering our calls to him,NOT GOOD

Favorite Features

This is a really nice looking rig, I thought it was gonna be good for me BUT I have found out differently.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest, Always test drive a rig that U are wanting to purchase, Do not believe the used dealer when he says "he had his mechanic go through it completly and it is sound, nothing wrong with it". Have your mechanic look it over real good, I am hoping that this used car salesman will make it right with us on the 2003 Land Rover and fix the things that is wrong with it, also this was not purchased AS IS, so this used car dealer should have to pay for everything that needs fixed, He sold a Lemon, Isn't there anything we can do

Free at last!
By Jay D.

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

At first I loved this car but as with many love affairs it wasn't long before the honeymoon was over. We did everything we were supposed to do to take care of this car but despite that it still was a nightmare. If it wasn't one thing it was another. Very expensive to repair and LR's customer service isn't very good (understatement). We were also told by them to trade it in before it was too late and that's exactly what we did. We are now proud Toyota owners. If you have one and it hasn't given you any trouble it won't be long before it will. GET RID OF IT! If you are thinking of buying one, STOP!

Favorite Features

I don't own one anymore.

Suggested Improvements

Recall them all and give everybody their money back.

Avoid this money hole
By rdbolger

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Endless expensive electrical and mechanical failures. The engine however is well known for it's self-destructive tendency and poor design. (It costs over $800 to replace a thermostat O-ring) The cylinder sleeves tend to slip sending coolant into the oil. The engine is no longer made and parts are extremely expensive. There are 2 catalytic converters (about $1000 each)

Favorite Features

When it actually ran it was quiet, comfortable and handled nicely.

Suggested Improvements

It would be an improvement if Land Rover would stand by their products... they obviously have no pride in either their design abilities or their workmanship.

What was I thinking?
By Ana

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Thought Landrover and Range Rover were reliable vehicles until purchasing my Freelander.What a mistake! After the 5th month of driving it I was left stranded. The thing just completely shut down! Come to find out it was the fuel system. The thing sat at the mechanics for two months, until the part came in from the Dealer in Albuquerque. The fuel pump cost $595! The recall for the fuel system came in August so off to the Dealership we went! & they said the timing belts need replacing (cost: $1800 - it has three). The oil changes we do ourselves for $65 everytime! Or $100 if you can find a decent place that'll do it. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS VEHICLE! Unless you like to throw away your money!

Favorite Features

The all-wheel drive comes in handy during ice and snow storms.

Suggested Improvements

None

NIGHTMARE ON WHEELS
By n

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

If you own this car you need to run, not walk to trade it in! Do a little research and you will be sick. This car turned evil out of nowhere. There is a defect in the cooling system that should have been recalled and can't be fixed. I was stuck without a car for nearly 2mnths because of this devil. Had no choice but to have it repoed, because the cost of repair is equal to what I owe...not that it can be fixed anyways! Took it to 4 different foreign shops and they don't want anything to do with it. Now I'm stuck having to file bankruptcy over this mess. I would hate to see anyone go through this, wish I would of done some research before buying Land Rover.

Favorite Features

Anxiety attacks:free sleepless nights:free rental cars:$$$ the mechanics shaking their head as soon as they see what is what is being towed in:priceless

Suggested Improvements

Land Rover needs to fess up to making junk!