Used 2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Land-rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Most Helpful|
Frustrated
By sheyrend

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We recently helped purchase this vehicle for our son for college. We wish we would have read these reviews first. We had the vehicle a week, and it overheated. Our son never has had the chance to drive it, but now has a car payment - and repair costs worth twice the cost of the vehicle. The thermostat repair is over $900, the oxygen sensors $1100, and now the head gasket and sleeve repair, over $7500. Needless to say, the vehicle cost $6500, and now the repairs have more than doubled that. I have contacted multiple class action lawyers today. Hopefully something can come of this, and this can ber rectified!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

Engine cooling system, and transer of coolant to oil. Head gasket and sleeve problems. I understand the original European engine which is diesel is awesome and runs forever, but that modifications have been made to bring it to America, and a gas engine replaced the diesel.

Another Bad Review
By Cono

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this vehicle as a certified used for my wife to drive. The vehicle was covered under warranty until 03/2008, at which point I knew it's days were limited. We've repaired a door sensor ($400) and coolant leak ($700)within the last 8 months. Luckily, we just traded the unit, but only before the vehicle needed a $700 wheel bearing repair. We were lucky. Read the other consumer reviews.

Favorite Features

The style, heated seats, and uniqueness.

Suggested Improvements

Not comfortable. Vehicle is very much like a Jeep Wrangler. The S model, despite having heated seats and auto everthing, was very bare. Here's my most notable suggestion for the Brit automakers. Design a vehicle with the pride and care that you engineered the Hurricane and Spitfire!

My Freelander Experience
By sarahjane24

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Though I loved this car, it was NOT a good investment. My 2003 landrover had one problem after another. The 4 years I had it, I easily put over a thousand dollars each year for repairs. Land Rover parts are EXPENSIVE. I had TWO new engines within 4 years (thank god for warranty). I also had to replace multiple window motors, a muffler, the starter, pumps, axels...the list goes on. The repairs don't seem like big repairs, but these parts are NOT cheap. Unfortunately, a deer ran into my drivers side and TOTALED it. It seemed insane! The damage was moderate I'd say. But because its so expensive to fix...my baby is gone.

Favorite Features

Drives great in snow, smooth ride, build.

Suggested Improvements

Engine, Starter, Windows. Muffler. (Numerous repairs/replacements needed)

Pleasantly supprised
By dukesush

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Recently purchased a used Freelander and we are very pleased with it. Very sharp looking exterior. Very fun to drive, especially in sport mode. We perform all recomended maintenance on schedule, which I gather is vital with the Freelanders and it has given us no issues. The stock audio system is the best sounding I've heard in a ten year old vehicle. We are getting good fuel milage too, about 23 MPG.

Favorite Features

Tight handling, smooth ride. Powerfull in sport mode. Sound system.

Suggested Improvements

A little more cargo space would be nice. The need for 5w 50 Synthetic oil is a pain.

awesome first car experience
By beetlejuiceplz

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

i bought my se3 at 34,000 miles as my first car in 2007. after recently selling the car, i now realize how lucky i was to have such a reliable car. the only time i had to take the car in during the 4 years i owned it was to get the get the oil changed (which is expensive because it will only accept synthetic oil barf). towards the end of my relationship with the car however (aprox. 74,000 miles), engine lights began coming on due to an ABS sensor which costs $540 dollars for just the part itself! I also have read that these cars dont usually last much longer after 100,000 miles. my suggestion is to obviously buy this car with low miles in order to have an awesome car experience.

Favorite Features

it can drive over ANYTHING, it is a very fast SUV, very comfortable inside, the window buttons are in the center which is always fun as you watch your passengers panic, also the detachable roof option is a must.

Suggested Improvements

this car was great.