2003 Land Rover Freelander SE3 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Land-rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

2003 Freelander Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Sort Reviews by

My Freelander Experience
By sarahjane24

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Though I loved this car, it was NOT a good investment. My 2003 landrover had one problem after another. The 4 years I had it, I easily put over a thousand dollars each year for repairs. Land Rover parts are EXPENSIVE. I had TWO new engines within 4 years (thank god for warranty). I also had to replace multiple window motors, a muffler, the starter, pumps, axels...the list goes on. The repairs don't seem like big repairs, but these parts are NOT cheap. Unfortunately, a deer ran into my drivers side and TOTALED it. It seemed insane! The damage was moderate I'd say. But because its so expensive to fix...my baby is gone.

Favorite Features

Drives great in snow, smooth ride, build.

Suggested Improvements

Engine, Starter, Windows. Muffler. (Numerous repairs/replacements needed)

Pleasantly supprised
By dukesush

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Recently purchased a used Freelander and we are very pleased with it. Very sharp looking exterior. Very fun to drive, especially in sport mode. We perform all recomended maintenance on schedule, which I gather is vital with the Freelanders and it has given us no issues. The stock audio system is the best sounding I've heard in a ten year old vehicle. We are getting good fuel milage too, about 23 MPG.

Favorite Features

Tight handling, smooth ride. Powerfull in sport mode. Sound system.

Suggested Improvements

A little more cargo space would be nice. The need for 5w 50 Synthetic oil is a pain.

2003 Range Rover Freelander
By cvandiver

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just purchased a 2003 Land Rover, I have had this for 1 week and it is already given me problems. The first day I found out ignition key will not unlock the drivers door, which by the way is the only lock on this rig besides the tailgate, the gas cap fell apart in my hands, the gas mileage is really bad. Driving today it is shifting on its own going down the road, but is shifting hard. The dash is blinking 4F and is says that it is decending down hill,. Being in park is it saying 4F. I took it to the dealership had their mechanic come out and take a look, he checked it out and is saying that I have a Transmition Problem. This is NOT GOOD, used dealer is not anwering our calls to him,NOT GOOD

Favorite Features

This is a really nice looking rig, I thought it was gonna be good for me BUT I have found out differently.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest, Always test drive a rig that U are wanting to purchase, Do not believe the used dealer when he says "he had his mechanic go through it completly and it is sound, nothing wrong with it". Have your mechanic look it over real good, I am hoping that this used car salesman will make it right with us on the 2003 Land Rover and fix the things that is wrong with it, also this was not purchased AS IS, so this used car dealer should have to pay for everything that needs fixed, He sold a Lemon, Isn't there anything we can do

Frustrated
By sheyrend

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We recently helped purchase this vehicle for our son for college. We wish we would have read these reviews first. We had the vehicle a week, and it overheated. Our son never has had the chance to drive it, but now has a car payment - and repair costs worth twice the cost of the vehicle. The thermostat repair is over $900, the oxygen sensors $1100, and now the head gasket and sleeve repair, over $7500. Needless to say, the vehicle cost $6500, and now the repairs have more than doubled that. I have contacted multiple class action lawyers today. Hopefully something can come of this, and this can ber rectified!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

Engine cooling system, and transer of coolant to oil. Head gasket and sleeve problems. I understand the original European engine which is diesel is awesome and runs forever, but that modifications have been made to bring it to America, and a gas engine replaced the diesel.

awesome first car experience
By beetlejuiceplz

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

i bought my se3 at 34,000 miles as my first car in 2007. after recently selling the car, i now realize how lucky i was to have such a reliable car. the only time i had to take the car in during the 4 years i owned it was to get the get the oil changed (which is expensive because it will only accept synthetic oil barf). towards the end of my relationship with the car however (aprox. 74,000 miles), engine lights began coming on due to an ABS sensor which costs $540 dollars for just the part itself! I also have read that these cars dont usually last much longer after 100,000 miles. my suggestion is to obviously buy this car with low miles in order to have an awesome car experience.

Favorite Features

it can drive over ANYTHING, it is a very fast SUV, very comfortable inside, the window buttons are in the center which is always fun as you watch your passengers panic, also the detachable roof option is a must.

Suggested Improvements

this car was great.

Don't buy
By jin

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has nothing but problems since day one. The extended warranty helped but the car has been a money pit. It is in the shop every two months, engine light is always on, this time the time belts had to be changed at 46,000 miles. Electrical problems abound, Fuel economy is terrible, interior design is a joke and as stated reliability is very poor. It has cost more to maintain this vehicle that what it cost to buy.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Junk it.

Can't understand all the frustration
By Learn How to Drive

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just thought I should give my 2 cents about this car. Everyone on here must not know how to maintain a vehicle because even after buying mine used with 58,000 miles, I haven't had any unexpected problems. People need to understand that this is a foreign, luxury SUV and requires more driver knowledge. You can't just put gas in it and expect it to maintain itself. I check the fluids every other week and change the oil every 3000 miles. Gas mileage is decent for an SUV of this age. Yes, parts are a bit more expensive but this is expected with any foreign vehicle. Personally, I think this is a safe, fun, and reliable vehicle that I am very proud to own.

Favorite Features

This SUV looks amazing! I always get compliments. I love driving with the sunroof open. Turning radius is superb; it turns on a dime. Parking is a breeze, too. Stereo sounds great. AWD is a great feature, especially on slick roads. Heated windshield is neat. The rims also look great; very sporty.

Suggested Improvements

The buttons are in weird places and took a little getting used to. Cup holders are in an awkward place but they get the job done. I still don't like the antenna being where it is, but I can deal with it. Seats should be power but they arent. It feels like the clock is a mile away.

Still love it.
By OrangeSE3

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased mine used in 2004. Did have a coolant/oil issue. Land Rover replaced the engine under original manufacturers warranty and I've not had an issue since. I average around 22 MPG. It's a great vehicle and fun to drive. Handles amazing in the snow.

Favorite Features

Removable top & sunroof. Harmon Kardon sound system. Amazing room in the rear seat.

Suggested Improvements

Better seating material, current "technical fabric" doesn't breath and can make you sweat in hot weather. More HP and soft top should be included. More ground clearance.

Yes - sadly I join the masses
By s white

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Today I join the mass of disappointed Freelander owners as I became victim too, of the mysterious disappearing coolant. Well, not so mysterious. Yes - Land Rover of Harrisburg called, the car they sold to me just a little over 2 1/2 years ago -JUNK! I was told I was actually lucky I made it to 110,000 before the engine went. Yes - Land Rover of America told me they had no knowledge of any problem with the engines. Guess employees there are blocked from using Google. Can't get most parts. We were trying to find a rear windshield wiper and rear window motor. Now we know - Land Rover has cut off all ties to the Freelander including parts support. DON'T BUY. SELL QUICK!

Suggested Improvements

Any manufacturer with an ounce of integrity would own up to the problems and make them right. Clearly the Freelander engine has a clear an predictable engine failure. Clearly that failure is a design flaw. Why does the burden of poor engineering fall to the consumer?

Renamed ****lander
By Dawson

2003 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Wow, What a huge mistake this Small SUV is. All I can say is thank god We purchased an extended warranty. We paid $14,000 for this car and have had close to $20,000 in repairs in 2 years! We blew the original motor at 80,000 km and that was replaced. Within 10,000 km that replacement motor blew. Covered under land rover warranty. Not really sure that a "new" motor was ever put in. what a pile of garbage.

Favorite Features

good coffee at the dealership

Suggested Improvements

buy something else