Used 2003 Land Rover Freelander SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Land Rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Pleasantly supprised
By dukesush

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Recently purchased a used Freelander and we are very pleased with it. Very sharp looking exterior. Very fun to drive, especially in sport mode. We perform all recomended maintenance on schedule, which I gather is vital with the Freelanders and it has given us no issues. The stock audio system is the best sounding I've heard in a ten year old vehicle. We are getting good fuel milage too, about 23 MPG.

Tight handling, smooth ride. Powerfull in sport mode. Sound system.

A little more cargo space would be nice. The need for 5w 50 Synthetic oil is a pain.

Frustrated
By sheyrend

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We recently helped purchase this vehicle for our son for college. We wish we would have read these reviews first. We had the vehicle a week, and it overheated. Our son never has had the chance to drive it, but now has a car payment - and repair costs worth twice the cost of the vehicle. The thermostat repair is over $900, the oxygen sensors $1100, and now the head gasket and sleeve repair, over $7500. Needless to say, the vehicle cost $6500, and now the repairs have more than doubled that. I have contacted multiple class action lawyers today. Hopefully something can come of this, and this can ber rectified!

Fun to drive!

Engine cooling system, and transer of coolant to oil. Head gasket and sleeve problems. I understand the original European engine which is diesel is awesome and runs forever, but that modifications have been made to bring it to America, and a gas engine replaced the diesel.

Can't understand all the frustration
By Learn How to Drive

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just thought I should give my 2 cents about this car. Everyone on here must not know how to maintain a vehicle because even after buying mine used with 58,000 miles, I haven't had any unexpected problems. People need to understand that this is a foreign, luxury SUV and requires more driver knowledge. You can't just put gas in it and expect it to maintain itself. I check the fluids every other week and change the oil every 3000 miles. Gas mileage is decent for an SUV of this age. Yes, parts are a bit more expensive but this is expected with any foreign vehicle. Personally, I think this is a safe, fun, and reliable vehicle that I am very proud to own.

This SUV looks amazing! I always get compliments. I love driving with the sunroof open. Turning radius is superb; it turns on a dime. Parking is a breeze, too. Stereo sounds great. AWD is a great feature, especially on slick roads. Heated windshield is neat. The rims also look great; very sporty.

The buttons are in weird places and took a little getting used to. Cup holders are in an awkward place but they get the job done. I still don't like the antenna being where it is, but I can deal with it. Seats should be power but they arent. It feels like the clock is a mile away.

Yes - sadly I join the masses
By s white

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Today I join the mass of disappointed Freelander owners as I became victim too, of the mysterious disappearing coolant. Well, not so mysterious. Yes - Land Rover of Harrisburg called, the car they sold to me just a little over 2 1/2 years ago -JUNK! I was told I was actually lucky I made it to 110,000 before the engine went. Yes - Land Rover of America told me they had no knowledge of any problem with the engines. Guess employees there are blocked from using Google. Can't get most parts. We were trying to find a rear windshield wiper and rear window motor. Now we know - Land Rover has cut off all ties to the Freelander including parts support. DON'T BUY. SELL QUICK!

Any manufacturer with an ounce of integrity would own up to the problems and make them right. Clearly the Freelander engine has a clear an predictable engine failure. Clearly that failure is a design flaw. Why does the burden of poor engineering fall to the consumer?

Renamed ****lander
By Dawson

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Wow, What a huge mistake this Small SUV is. All I can say is thank god We purchased an extended warranty. We paid $14,000 for this car and have had close to $20,000 in repairs in 2 years! We blew the original motor at 80,000 km and that was replaced. Within 10,000 km that replacement motor blew. Covered under land rover warranty. Not really sure that a "new" motor was ever put in. what a pile of garbage.

good coffee at the dealership

buy something else