Used 2003 Land Rover Freelander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Land-rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

2003 Land Rover Freelander

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

My Freelander Experience
By sarahjane24

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Though I loved this car, it was NOT a good investment. My 2003 landrover had one problem after another. The 4 years I had it, I easily put over a thousand dollars each year for repairs. Land Rover parts are EXPENSIVE. I had TWO new engines within 4 years (thank god for warranty). I also had to replace multiple window motors, a muffler, the starter, pumps, axels...the list goes on. The repairs don't seem like big repairs, but these parts are NOT cheap. Unfortunately, a deer ran into my drivers side and TOTALED it. It seemed insane! The damage was moderate I'd say. But because its so expensive to fix...my baby is gone.

Favorite Features

Drives great in snow, smooth ride, build.

Suggested Improvements

Engine, Starter, Windows. Muffler. (Numerous repairs/replacements needed)

Pleasantly supprised
By dukesush

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Recently purchased a used Freelander and we are very pleased with it. Very sharp looking exterior. Very fun to drive, especially in sport mode. We perform all recomended maintenance on schedule, which I gather is vital with the Freelanders and it has given us no issues. The stock audio system is the best sounding I've heard in a ten year old vehicle. We are getting good fuel milage too, about 23 MPG.

Favorite Features

Tight handling, smooth ride. Powerfull in sport mode. Sound system.

Suggested Improvements

A little more cargo space would be nice. The need for 5w 50 Synthetic oil is a pain.

2003 Range Rover Freelander
By cvandiver

2003 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just purchased a 2003 Land Rover, I have had this for 1 week and it is already given me problems. The first day I found out ignition key will not unlock the drivers door, which by the way is the only lock on this rig besides the tailgate, the gas cap fell apart in my hands, the gas mileage is really bad. Driving today it is shifting on its own going down the road, but is shifting hard. The dash is blinking 4F and is says that it is decending down hill,. Being in park is it saying 4F. I took it to the dealership had their mechanic come out and take a look, he checked it out and is saying that I have a Transmition Problem. This is NOT GOOD, used dealer is not anwering our calls to him,NOT GOOD

Favorite Features

This is a really nice looking rig, I thought it was gonna be good for me BUT I have found out differently.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest, Always test drive a rig that U are wanting to purchase, Do not believe the used dealer when he says "he had his mechanic go through it completly and it is sound, nothing wrong with it". Have your mechanic look it over real good, I am hoping that this used car salesman will make it right with us on the 2003 Land Rover and fix the things that is wrong with it, also this was not purchased AS IS, so this used car dealer should have to pay for everything that needs fixed, He sold a Lemon, Isn't there anything we can do

Frustrated
By sheyrend

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We recently helped purchase this vehicle for our son for college. We wish we would have read these reviews first. We had the vehicle a week, and it overheated. Our son never has had the chance to drive it, but now has a car payment - and repair costs worth twice the cost of the vehicle. The thermostat repair is over $900, the oxygen sensors $1100, and now the head gasket and sleeve repair, over $7500. Needless to say, the vehicle cost $6500, and now the repairs have more than doubled that. I have contacted multiple class action lawyers today. Hopefully something can come of this, and this can ber rectified!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

Engine cooling system, and transer of coolant to oil. Head gasket and sleeve problems. I understand the original European engine which is diesel is awesome and runs forever, but that modifications have been made to bring it to America, and a gas engine replaced the diesel.

awesome first car experience
By beetlejuiceplz

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

i bought my se3 at 34,000 miles as my first car in 2007. after recently selling the car, i now realize how lucky i was to have such a reliable car. the only time i had to take the car in during the 4 years i owned it was to get the get the oil changed (which is expensive because it will only accept synthetic oil barf). towards the end of my relationship with the car however (aprox. 74,000 miles), engine lights began coming on due to an ABS sensor which costs $540 dollars for just the part itself! I also have read that these cars dont usually last much longer after 100,000 miles. my suggestion is to obviously buy this car with low miles in order to have an awesome car experience.

Favorite Features

it can drive over ANYTHING, it is a very fast SUV, very comfortable inside, the window buttons are in the center which is always fun as you watch your passengers panic, also the detachable roof option is a must.

Suggested Improvements

this car was great.