2002 Land Rover Freelander 2.5L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Better than they say it

2002 Land Rover Freelander - Consumer Review

Better than they say it will be...
By Brocktoon on

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a unique, solid and great handling car. Auto press complains about lack of rear disc brakes. Who cares, it stops shorter than a liberty, rav4 ect.I have driven 500 miles on ice and snow covered secondary higways and the full time all wheel drive with traction control is a real bonus. I had a Jeep Grand Chrerokee previously, and they are nowhere near as good in changable/mixed conditions, where you need the safety of all wheel drive. Also prees complains about lack of power. Seems to me that the accelerator in this car has a pretty long travel, so it requires more "boot" than might be expected. Figure that out and the pace picks up considerably.

Favorite Features

Due to year end incentives, I am able to drive this Landrover for LESS than a comparable escape, forester, CRV or Rav4. I would much rather drive a more expensive car and pay no interest, than get robbed by honda finance and see myself coming and going at every stop light.

Suggested Improvements

As most North Americans I find the ergonomics a bit odd, but it's certainly nothing I can't get used to.