Used 2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

on my 3rd engine
By Lisa

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am now on my 3rd engine it this vehicle, and I only have 60,000 miles on this car. Land Rover is offering me 50% off the engine. It's not drivable... please get these cars off the road as they are seizing up on people while driving.

Been there done that
By Shermie

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased a brand new Freelander and it is the only regret I have in my life. So you can assume exactly what kind of ownership experience my family and I had to endure for over 5 years. When the motor finally dies at 58Kmiles, and the transmission had been slipping for 1 year, the car still smelled brand new when it was sold for scrap parts. Never ever buy a Freelander, unless you have a high tolerance for a cheaply built, outsourced funky japanese tranny and a Chiness built motor with epoxy glue holding the cylinder sleeves together. The 5 years of missing coolant was nothing compared to what this car did to my life and finances. Pure junk.

Looks and ride. Seating position.

This car needs a different transmission and motor. Plus it also could use improved electrical parts such as door motors, etc. Especially the leaky and noisy sunroof.

Mine must have been the good one
By Relatively happy

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've seen all the reviews on the Freelander and I realize I was just lucky - mine's been fairly trouble free in the five + years I've had it. It hasn't been babied, either, but I've also been picky about maintenance. But for snowy weather, it's always been the best.

No-brainer AWD, and the couple times I've used hill descent control it's been useful. But how many times does anyone actually use it? And believe it or not, the reliability. I've never been left sitting.

Moot point since it's discontinued

Don't buy
By yeahstyle1

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Looks good, fun to drive, great in the snow, but the 2.5l is a lemon. The head gasket will need to be replaced. Because of a design flaw the engine will eventually need to be replaced and LandRover does not make them any more and they are hard to find. Stay away from the 2.5L v6 engine, it is a ticking time bomb.

Great for off road

New engine and better mpg

Upside down nightmare!
By mary

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it used and thought I was buying a quality car. My mechanic told me was engine was ready to go and I've been having coolant leakage. Currently owe 13,000, dealers will only give me $7,000 and I feel to guilty to sell it out right (would only get retail on it which is $10,000) knowing all of the problems these cars have. So, what do I do with this poorly made vehicle? Don't buy!

Whole interior is rusted including sunroof which makes a awful noise when I open it. So, therefore it stays closed. Anytime it rains I get a puddle on the drivers side floor.