2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
You better have cash
By titan9 on 11/01/06 10:26 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

You can pick this little SUV up for a good price these days. Don't let the price trick you, It's a Land Rover. Land Rover's are a high end SUV. You can't stop at the local quick lube and the get oil changed, they don't have a filter to fit it. They cost a ton to keep up, electrical problems, tranny problems, over heating problems. If you buy this SUV, you are going to have problems with it. Is it worth it for you to drive a Land Rover? I sold mine after 18 months and took a beating.

nothing but troubles
By wildrover on 09/11/06 09:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had NOTHING but problems with my Rover. It has overheated 4X. Been in the dealership for overheating 3X. They tell me the overheating is due to something different each time. so this time it is in a different shop, since it is now not under warranty. I searched for mechanics - no one wants to touch it. I finally found a place to fix it.. & they are charging me $900.00. They say it needs a new water pump and they have to take apart 1/2 the engine to get to it. I owe the dealership that I bought it from $1000.00 for its MANY other repairs. I am a single mom.. & my credit is awful, so I can't trade it in. I am working to pay for my work transportation. ERGH ! frustrating !

Freeloader not Freelander
By D on 08/30/06 14:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Felt like a solid vehicle initially, but it all went down hill real quick. Poor quality and no reliability. The dealer has had to replace an ECU, the transmission, rear window motor(both), hoses, and the list goes on. I owned this vehicle for only 4 months and I drove it maybe 10 times...Land Rover techs have driven it more than me..but thanks for the 06 LR3..that was pretty much the car I drove during my 4 mos with the Freelander..I mean Freeloader

What are the complaints about?
By Jaybird on 08/10/06 10:18 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this vehicle for about a month now and am very impressed with it. I am averaging 23 mpg and no mechanical problems. I have read many negative reviews about this vehicle and have figured out why. First, this is not a sports car. I can see why people have to have engines replaced. The engine requires synthetic oil only. It has enough power to do the job but can see people flooring it all the time because it "just isn't enough" and that takes it toll on an engine, as is also true for the transmission. The brakes are disc- front/drum back so you cannot stand on the brakes all the time and not expect to replace pads very often. It's a luxury SUV treat it good, it will reciprocate.

My complaints
By Jonathan on 07/27/06 07:25 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

My Landrover is now dead for 85,000 miles. It can not run anymore. The mechanics of Landrover cannot find the problem by diagnostics alone. They have to open the engine to find out but not a guarantee that they will find it. How STUPID this Landrover diagnostics is. Landrover should terminate the Engineer who built this STUPID car diagnostics computer. The service advisor told me that the only thing that can fix my car is to replace the whole engine which will cost me $8,000 plus labor and tax.

mad in Texas
By madin TX on 07/13/06 14:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I loved my Freelander until my first experience with the Rover dealership. I paid over $300 for the 45,000 miles checkup.They told me there was nothing wrong with the transmission. Now that I am out of warranty at 50,000 miles I am having problems. I called them and told them that my brake lights just stopped working and I have to go out of town and I needed to get them fixed asap. They told me it would cost me $125.00 and they could not get to it for four days! My husband paid $17.83 for the brake light swtich and fixed it in less than five minutes.

The worst SUV on the road
By Kenneth on 06/14/06 17:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Ive never had a car with this much problems. It has been in ths shop 6 time in less than 2 years. First time the check engine light came on it was still under warranty. Then the cooling system went haywire. It took three times for the dealer figured out what the problem was. After repacing the hoses, cooling fan and then finally the water pump. Then the brakes wear out unusally fast tearing into the rotors, twice in less than 18 months. Then the sunroof clatters. The back door won't open it needed the motor replaced. Then finally with less than 75k the Transmisson went out the whole thing needed to be replaced.

A total lemon
By PeterJ4 on 05/05/06 10:21 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Leasing this car has been an absolute nightmare! From the brakes to the electronics, from the sunroof to the stereo, everything on my vehicle has needed to be repaired. LR North America rushed this vehicle to market and consumers have paid the price. Totals lemons! Land Rover could learn a lot from Honda about customer service and customer retention. Would- be Land Rover owners, BEWARE! My warranty just expired and LR refuses to fix my defective sunroof even though this is known to be a common defect.

Coolant System and Transmission
By Shirley Allen on 04/11/06 17:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Transmission had to be replaced. Was still under warranty. Had to have coolant tank replaced, then thermostat replaced because of constant overheat of engine. Vehicle in shop. Dealer says engine needs replacing because of cracked engine. Coolant getting into oil? These are major problems for a vehicle with only 85000 miles and for the cost to purchase this vehicle. Also brake pad need replacing too often.

Run, Don't Walk, Away from This Car!!
By DHall on 04/08/06 12:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We really like the look of this car and interior, but the reliability and service is the worst. This car has been nothing but problems since day 1. Service people not friendly and overcharge you on everything. Dealerships all very far away unless you live in a bigger city. Engine went out at 50,000 miles, right after lease bought out and warranty up conveniently. Brakes suddenly went out with no warning and ruined the rotors right away. Heater never worked right and sunroof broken. NEVER AGAIN will I step foot on a Land Rover lot or recommend them to someone else. I wouldn't want someone else to be stuck like us. Run away fast!!