Used 2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Junking it!
By Indistress

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the truck with 17K miles for $17K, thought it was a good deal for a Landrover. At 35K Miles the Engine needed replacement and now at 73K Miles the Transmission is slipping and needs replacement. Radio is shot. Sunroof was replaced twice. Brakes AND Roters wear easily. Maintanance is costly. Would not recommend buying any of the Landrover vehicles after their latest Consumer Report Reviews. Company should be taken out of business for the quality of their vehicles...THere is nothing luxurious about them....

None!

All of the vitals should be improved, engine, tranis, suspension, etc., etc.

Get rid of it ASAP
By Pilianni

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

spend 9,000 for an used engine. 5,000 for transmission 1500 for a water pump 1500 for a fuel pump and I have only drove the car for 80,000 miles now I may have to replace the transmission again.

looks good from the outside

keep the shell and replace everything else

still like this car...
By justin

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this car for 7 years and will be somewhat sad to trade it in soon. I think it's one of the best looking small SUVs made. I had a few reliability issues (like other owners of this model) but the positives outweighed the negatives.

Exterior appearance, excellent on winter roads.

No point in addressing this since the model is defunct.

Watch out when they reach high miles
By Dan_Keeney

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had very good luck with the Freelander until I approached 75,000 miles. I had always followed the textbook in terms of maintenance, but faced a major problem requiring a replacement of the head gaskets, which would have cost $4,500. The vehicle wasn't worth that much on trade, so I got rid of it. The service tech told me that the '02 Freelander engine was over-engineered because they wanted more power for the American market than provided by the 4-cylinder version that had been used successfully for years in Europe. I also had constant problems with the sunroof as well, but otherwise it was a great vehicle until the engine went. Just get a complete diagnostic before buying at high miles.

The exterior and interior of the truck held up very well. People were shocked that it was a seven year old car.

Higher mileage engine is prone to very expensive repairs that could cost you more than the truck is worth.

Freeloser
By harndt

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

What was Land Rover thinking?! I have replaced the engine, transmission, heater core, thermostat, exhaust plenum, rear window actuator (twice) and have had my car in the shop longer than I've been able to drive it! Land Rover will not take responsibility for this mistake of a vehicle. I was told the engine broke because the valves bent. They built the engine with "Interference valves" meaning they do interfere. If they are slightly off, the pistons will smash into them, causing them to brake- causing you to need a new engine. I only have 60,000 miles on mine and have spen more repairing it than I owe on it. Does anyone know of any class action lawsuits? Because I am on board.

navigation, disc changer, all wheel drive

New mechanical system! New engine, tranny, and all parts conncected. New wiring and electric would be nice, too.