2002 Land Rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
Works for me
By not grumpy on 10/29/07 10:53 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought because of the label, have not been disappointed so far. Used even! Wanted something safe on the road for wife and new baby. hadn't read all the bad things about the vehicle. So far (2+years) nothing bad to report! I like it, drives good, sunroof is making noise looks and I still got lots of time and miles on my extended warranty.

2002 Land Rover Freelander
By J. on 09/22/07 19:40 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this used about 1yr 1/2 ago.It's been nothing but trouble.To start the back window won't roll up,the sun roof won't roll down,the heater went out,the A/C does not work.I have put over $1000 into this vehicle in the past year on top of car payments and have another $2000 to put into it to be able to trade in for a reliable vehicle,not a Land Rover.This truck has depreciated in value $3000 in 4 months. So all in all I lost $6000 by owning this vehicle for a little over 1yr. There was a recall on the brake lights,this truck should be recalled all together.My mechanic advised me to get rid of it asap.I'm trading it in and taking the loss so I don't face another $6000 loss next year.

Piece of Junk with a Fancy Cover
By Kathryn on 09/18/07 20:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

At 61,000 miles, I had to replace the heating matrix for $2100 (car broke down on side of road). At 67,488 miles, I had a manifold issue that (luckily) was replaced under the CA emissions warranty, or I would have paid $1700 (almost broke down). Now, at 70, 777 miles, my timing belt busted (broke down on side of road) and Land Rover is saying that, despite their scheduled maintenance at 72,000 when they replace the belt, it's my problem - regardless of the fact the belt busted before the company- mandated replacement mileage. Two tow- truck drivers have told me that they love people who own these cars. They make their biggest profits off Land Rover owners. Do not waste your money.

Freelander Warning!
By warranted on 05/30/07 08:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Nothing but problems with electric, engine, windows. Stupidly let mileage get past warranty, only to have engine blow due to a design defect Land Rover is well aware of, coolant leaks into engine block, lock-up, one dead engine. LR will do nothing for victims like me (estimated $10,000 or so loss in "value" from one day to next, as I now hold nothing but an engineless shell). Strongly recommend against Land Rover due to poor quality.

Mine's been fine for 5 years
By ESSDEE on 05/14/07 11:40 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

The only repeat problem I have had with mine is the left rear window operator has broken twice. The AC is a little on the anemic side, but I knew that when I bought it - besides it's an open windows type of truck. This is not a luxury SUV, if that's what you want, look at an Acura or Lexus. It's a funky small SUV that will get you thru any bad weather conditions. I have never had the truck break down, fail to start, overheat, etc. It has made funky noises, odd warning lights, and burned out lights on occasion. I am thinking of replacing it with an LR2 simply because I would like a little more acceleration and I really like the flame orange color.

Awesome Vehicle
By Jaime911 on 04/16/07 12:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my vehicle back in March 2007. I love it! It rides great and makes me feel safe when I drive it. The extras in it are worth it! I recommend this vehicle to anyone!

I expected more from a Land Rover
By HutchNY on 03/11/07 15:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I drive a lot on the road, and live on a farm. It is a tough little car and I'm not afraid to take it off-road from time to time. It does hold up to the rigors of off roading quite well, but there are too many little squeaks that i can't get rid of. Great stereo and the seats are comfortable. My biggest gripe is that i have to go to the dealer for oil changes. No one else carries the filters.

Too Mnay Problems
By martman99 on 03/07/07 21:13 PM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This was Land Rover's supposed entry-level vehicle for their "premium" line of autos. Have yet to get that "premium" feel. Too many electrical and engine problems and now there appears to be a transmission issue with this car although we have kept up with the maintenance. Additionally, the dealership is NOT owned by Land Rover and they are less than helpful. Land Rover, NA's customer service dept has to be one of the worst I have had the opportunity to deal with in my 30 years of buying and maintaining cars. DO NOT buy a used Freelander - You WILL regret it!

Freelander review
By arizona man on 02/27/07 06:46 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this new from LandRover Paramus (NJ) in 2002, and have only maintained it at that dealership. I have also owned Volvo, Saab, Ford Taurus, Dodge Caravan in the last 14 years. The Freelander has been great looking back, and I did not baby it unnecessarily. The drive is great, and it has out-performed my other cars. I am reluctant to let it go.

dont do it
By teri on 01/10/07 13:45 PM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had nothing but headaches with this truck. Always in the repair shop. overheated 4 times, replaced fuel pump, temp gauge, radiator, headlights both went out due to an electrical problem, back window regulator went at $500.00 just for the part, a few recalls, inspection failures and the I replaced brakes 3x and rotors once. and here's the big one. My Tranny went at 65,000 miles. Land Rover said ... oh well it's over warranty. Truck looks good but is a lot of trouble. Not worth it. Stay away from this one.