Used 2002 Land Rover Freelander Consumer Reviews - 181 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Land Rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Lucky to Free myself from this trouble
By j2thaw3

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Freelander from Honda used vehicles with 1 previous owner, and all the maintenance records. I assumed it was a great deal at the time. WOW, after spending about what I owed on it to "attempt" to fix it, it still didn't work. The last shop I took it to said, "Get rid of it anyway you can, there are 7 major engine malfunctions." All this after spending the money to maintenance it regularly. I would up trading it in for half of what I owed on it. This vehicle was a nightmare that I don't wish upon anybody!

All wheel drive for the snow in Cincinnati winters. Fun to drive, when it wasn't in the shop (About half the time I had it).

Take some responsibility for your mistakes Land Rover!! This was an awful product that will prevent many potential buyers from even looking in your direction in the future.

Disaster on wheels
By Never Again

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the 2002 Freelander S several years ago. Within the first year I spent over $5,600 in electrical, engine, and exhaust parts - that doesn't include labor costs. The rear door window and wiper broke ($500), front passenger lock malfunctioned ($300), my entire dash had to be replaced because the coolant system was spilling fluid into the dash ($2800), and the exhaust system went ($2000). The Freelander depreciates in value by $2500-3000 per year. Highway and city mileage is dismal. Blue book value is only $6,000 right now. I cannot wait to get rid of this vehicle. I cannot emphasize enough what a horrible decision is was purchasing the Freelander.

Junking it!
By Indistress

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the truck with 17K miles for $17K, thought it was a good deal for a Landrover. At 35K Miles the Engine needed replacement and now at 73K Miles the Transmission is slipping and needs replacement. Radio is shot. Sunroof was replaced twice. Brakes AND Roters wear easily. Maintanance is costly. Would not recommend buying any of the Landrover vehicles after their latest Consumer Report Reviews. Company should be taken out of business for the quality of their vehicles...THere is nothing luxurious about them....

None!

All of the vitals should be improved, engine, tranis, suspension, etc., etc.

Get rid of it ASAP
By Pilianni

2002 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

spend 9,000 for an used engine. 5,000 for transmission 1500 for a water pump 1500 for a fuel pump and I have only drove the car for 80,000 miles now I may have to replace the transmission again.

looks good from the outside

keep the shell and replace everything else

still like this car...
By justin

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this car for 7 years and will be somewhat sad to trade it in soon. I think it's one of the best looking small SUVs made. I had a few reliability issues (like other owners of this model) but the positives outweighed the negatives.

Exterior appearance, excellent on winter roads.

No point in addressing this since the model is defunct.