Used 2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Land-rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

What a Lemon!
By Amanda Harle

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Car was bought used w/24,000 miles on it. I had the car for three days when the transmission dropped. When I finally got the car back, one of the rear windows wouldn't go up. Driving 3 hrs to the nearest dealership in Grand Rapids, MI, the engine seized. The dealership told me they had to call the factory in Europe to confirm that a head gasket had gone. In the last couple years, I've had the sunroof fixed 3 times, window motors replaced, speakers replaced & the air conditioner has NEVER worked. Now, at 60,000 miles, BOTH head gaskets have gone. The car I bought for reliability turned out to tbe the COMPLETE OPPOSITE. I would love to join a class action lawsuit against Land Rover....

Favorite Features

The sunroof, even though it broke several times, and the back window that went down. Being able to open up the whole car made the lack of air conditioning easier to bear.

Suggested Improvements

Land Rover should issue an apology for making such a piece of junk. Especially when all their other models do so well. AAARRGGHHH....

Worst vehicle
By Keri

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is by far the worst vehicle I ever owned. Landrover makes it next to impossible to have other shops do work on the vehicle. The price of their timing belt replacement on the freelander is $2000, this is insane. Four people in my family have owned landrover's and realized it was a terrible vehicle and some have gotten rid of them and other's are trying to get rid of them. Take my advice, and never, never buy landrover products. I don't know how their still in business

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

everything, your ripping people off.

Junk
By Lou

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Stay away from this car and all other land rovers. This model is land rovers dirty little secret

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

Iron out all the defects

Lucky to Free myself from this trouble
By j2thaw3

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Freelander from Honda used vehicles with 1 previous owner, and all the maintenance records. I assumed it was a great deal at the time. WOW, after spending about what I owed on it to "attempt" to fix it, it still didn't work. The last shop I took it to said, "Get rid of it anyway you can, there are 7 major engine malfunctions." All this after spending the money to maintenance it regularly. I would up trading it in for half of what I owed on it. This vehicle was a nightmare that I don't wish upon anybody!

Favorite Features

All wheel drive for the snow in Cincinnati winters. Fun to drive, when it wasn't in the shop (About half the time I had it).

Suggested Improvements

Take some responsibility for your mistakes Land Rover!! This was an awful product that will prevent many potential buyers from even looking in your direction in the future.

Disaster on wheels
By Never Again

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the 2002 Freelander S several years ago. Within the first year I spent over $5,600 in electrical, engine, and exhaust parts - that doesn't include labor costs. The rear door window and wiper broke ($500), front passenger lock malfunctioned ($300), my entire dash had to be replaced because the coolant system was spilling fluid into the dash ($2800), and the exhaust system went ($2000). The Freelander depreciates in value by $2500-3000 per year. Highway and city mileage is dismal. Blue book value is only $6,000 right now. I cannot wait to get rid of this vehicle. I cannot emphasize enough what a horrible decision is was purchasing the Freelander.