2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
Do not buy this car!!!
By kitty on 05/05/08 18:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

After 4 months, this car needed a new alternator, since then it's gotten the cooling system fixed 3 times, a whole new transmission, needs new timing belts, and a new fuel pump. Also the radio is broken, and the moonroof won't open. This car is terrible, and I was a fool to buy this car without researching it better. I hoping to get rid of it tomorrow! Do not buy this car. I will never own another Land Rover.

Worst vehicle ever!
By angry in mn! on 04/29/08 12:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has been so much more trouble than it's worth. The cooling system always has some sort of leak that can't be fixed, which causes it to overheat all the time.

Fun to drive
By joe on 04/28/08 12:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great car unfortunately you better have the wallet to pay for the costly and often repairs. 550 dollars air sensor went out that helps determine the amount of air to let into the engine. This caused the SUV to be unable to even start. Was very fun to drive and turned a lot of heads at my high school. Due to bad weather and my inexperience as a driver it was totaled in a high speed rollover. Very safe car however I walked off with zero injuries and the car held its frame perfectly! Its high mileage and broken axle/wheel rods ended up making it cheaper to totaled. Fun car though

Performs great., expensive to fix!
By erica on 04/18/08 09:25 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my freelander, however, the cost to fix anything or replace anything is outlandish. Not worth it at all. I am trading it in after putting over 2000 of repair into it in the last year! If you're going o buy, buy new!

Nice but fickle
By bayviewwilliams on 03/12/08 22:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bad weather of any kind, this LR did not put one wrong foot forward. I also thought the Freelander was handsome, and unique among all the RAV4's and CR-V's. The gas mileage for a small ute was appalling. Some niggling problems with LR, even covered under warranty, were an inconvenience. $100 oil changes made me sick-a workaday Rover 2.5 V-6 really needs synthetic oil from new? If you need to be unique, go ahead but be warned. Otherwise, keep looking!

Loved mine for 5.5 years!
By marylouise on 02/13/08 09:18 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I got mine new in Aug 2002 and have loved it ever since. the only thing to go wrong was the heater 3 yrs ago and they fixed it, no chg. Brakes need regular maintenance as its a heavy car. Love the way mine looks and handles but it doesn't have much initial pick-up. i've had all the scheduled maintenance and am pleased with overall performance. I got a good one!

This car is a Lemon!
By AM on 02/04/08 16:10 PM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car is a lemon. Engine needed to be replaced at 29K, Transmission at 40K miles. And this car was well- taken care of. We were told by the service dept to get rid of the car at the end of the warranty because of all the problems the Freelander is known to have. Too bad we didn't get the same warning from the sales dept!

Poorest quality SUV ever built
By The Robinson Family on 02/02/08 12:31 PM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

The LandRover Freelander should of never been imported into this country. I have been a car salesman for over 18 years and have never been around such a poorly built vehicle. My wife and I owned ours for 3 very long years. Everyday you wonder what's going to break next. We had a issue with everything from coolant leaks to electrical to front brake rotors that must of been a cruel joke to the consumer. I bought the vehicle wholesale and still lost money because dealers are scared of them. My wife had always liked the looks of the Freelander but was terrified to drive this suv with its host of problems.

A LIL' BIT
By Ric & Adrienne on 12/30/07 18:56 PM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Having had to only do minor maint. Love it. Gets 22 + MPG , great in all aspects driving in Texas and a joy to zip around in here. Wife ,son and future daughter in law leave their cars at home in bad weather to take the Freelander.

complete failure
By robert on 11/14/07 09:11 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

a month after purchase with only 34000 miles I have to take it to the dealer for repair, after it reached 55000 , it has been trips to the shop, faulty parts and costly repairs that they say is not cover by the warranty, now at 80,000 i have to replace the transmition and the cooling system has a leak they dont know from where? if I keep driving I have to replace the engine, this is a well known issue with the dealer for this cars but they wont take responsability for the bad quality of the engine. Now after I spend $5000 for repairs I have to get rid off before the engine blows up! a toyota cost half of this one and last at least 250k miles!