2002 Land Rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
Tons of repairs
By freelander25 on 06/07/10 15:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a used "02 freelander in "05. After 1 year the transmission had to be replaced. Then the A/C broke. Then a couple other valves. The two back rear doors broke, they could only be opened from the inside. The rear driver's side window doesn't open. The only plus are the seat warmers. I would not recommend this purchase.

A Terrible Car
By Jake on 06/04/10 08:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a terrible car! One month after I bought it the timing belt breaks and I spend $ 500 getting a new one put in. The next month, the motor needs to be checked again, another $600 bucks spent on it! I was driving it in manual one day and the transmission loses all gears except for park and neutral. And I was on the interstate at rush hour, the car gets towed overnight because the tow truck won't bring it to my house, Land Rover wants me to spend $1000 bucks getting the tranny rebuilt, the Hyundai dealer where I bought it said to just sell it which I did to my brother for $200 because he would fix it someday. Bad SUV for anybody.

Worst purchase
By Ceceila on 05/02/10 14:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Well I purchased my land rover in 2007 and the first thing i had to fix after two weeks of having the land rover was the passenger window on the drivers side, which was a lot of money, than 6 months later i had to fix the brakes, then the water pump, thermometer, gas tank, which i might is upside down after taking it someone other than land rover and now the head gasket, I had to fix the land rover more than enjoy it, it put me down after it was supposedly fixed twice on the freeway last year when I was 8 months pregnant, I have had the greatest time with this vehicle, unfortunately there was no warranty available when i purchased the vehicle, i would like my money back

Don't ever buy a Landrover Freelander
By Maurice on 02/10/10 14:17 PM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have never had so many issues with a vehicle. If you are even thinking about buying a Land Rover Freelander STOP! Don’t waste your money. Two weeks after I bought it I noticed the engine was over heating and that was the start of my problems. From the motor, to the windows, to the heat, to the sunroof, to the door locks all had to be replaced with NO RECALLS. I know I put at least $6,000 into it. The dealership doesn’t exist anymore and the Freelander is a huge lemon. I repeat DO NOT BUY A LANDROVER!

Acknowledge the faults
By VI Rover on 12/27/09 09:55 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Eight months after getting my dream car I experienced transmision prolbems, got it fixed and now 5 year later I need a new transmission again. I have had to replace all the door/window acturators and issues with the brakes. I love the car, its fun when it works well. The A/C doesn't cool the entire car properly. LANDROVER acknowledge the faults and give remedy to the owners.

2002 freelander landrover
By rokit777 on 12/12/09 03:13 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Hello I purchased my landrover at 45,000 mi,I felt so lucky to have such a beautiful SUV. The problems began as I drove my car out of the dealership. It was at the dealership for the first month of owner ship , I had fuel line problems, coolant leak, heater core replaced, coolant system replaced, transmission replaced, brakes replaced very often, needless to say the car has been great when it runs... I love it.... but too many mechanical problems,and pricey to fix. I am now at 100,000 mi and once again when I turn the heater on there is a burning smell, and the smell of coolant . I cannot afford anymore work, I cannot afford a new engine or head gasket. I took a loss and traded it in...

excellent
By chris on 11/25/09 18:39 PM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

maybe some have had a bad experience but i have had nothing but a pleasure owning this truck, i have 53000 miles on it and have no problems whatsoever, regular maintenance and thats all. my 3rd rover and my brother has had 9 and currently owns 2, get a good garage people, the freelander is a great vehicle

2002 Landrover Freelander
By Kate on 10/14/09 19:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

It's sad to say I must agree with all the negative reviews written. This by no means was the worst vehicle I had ever owned. Within the first few months the sunroof went 3 times, after the 3rd time landrover replaced it, but the new one had issues too. I stopped using the sunroof. The driver side rear window broke 3 times. After the 4th year of owning this vehicle hugh mechanical disasters, and finally the engine went, transmission started slipping and the diffrentials went. I would never reccommend landrover products to anyone, waste of money and time. Landrover should pay the customers to driver the vehicle.

The Only Tank Built Freelander?
By 1st FREELANDER on 09/29/09 08:17 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I must be very lucky to have gotten the miles out of my Freelander, even though its dying quickly now. Recently the transmission lost 2nd gear (just skips right over it now) and the sunroof won't open, and the AC just died. However this Freelander was the first one sold in my state and has had a heck of a great run. Currently with 224,550 miles on it (not a typo), I refuse to put money into it at this stage in its life, so I guess its time to part. After reading everyone's issues with this Land Rover model, I feel like I should fix it up and sell it to the Land Rover museum.

Another nightmare...
By GearJam on 08/23/09 11:02 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Oh, let's see.. I've put 4500 miles on my Freelander since purchase, and have spent MORE in repair bills than I payed for the car. Transmission- Failed.Transfer Case-Failed. Engine- failing.A/c,Sunroof, Power Door locks, failed, failed, failed. 84K on the clock so far, and if I ever see my Rover again, she's getting traded for a Jeep Wrangler, No questions about it no more Land Rover Products are in my future.