Used 2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Land-rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

A vehicle for an active lifestyle
By supereks

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought one of the first vehicles that made it over the Atlantic in late 2001. Just returned from another trip to the New England mountains in the winter. The Freelander is an all- weather vehicle that feels safe in all conditions as long as the tires are new or relatively little worn. Would not try to climb any rocks with this little SUV, but any kind of mud, snow or even shallow water is no obstacle. Strongly recommend rubber floor mats, trunk plastic cover and covers for seats. The vehicle has its problems with quality of manufacturing/reliability (numerous problems were minor, only one left it immobile for a prolonged period due to a problem with delivery of a specific spare part).

Favorite Features

Driving in snow (with new tires). This SUV handles/corners/drives better than most of the rental cars I drove during numerous repairs; this is also the primary reason why I didn't get rid of it after the first few months (does Landrover perhaps generate problems to show this difference?!?!).

Suggested Improvements

Assure faster replacement of keys/locks/ignitions (4-8 weeks is not good enough). Buyer of this vehicle has to be prepared to get to know everyone at the dealership when (s)he comes in for the many fixes and repairs. The vehicle needs some type of (or improvement of) automatic stability control!!!

Great handling but shoddy parts
By Michael

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

In spite of problems with acceleration and poor component parts, the car drives very well and I completely trust it in bad weather. It is comfortable and the engine/drive train have been reliable.

Favorite Features

Drives and feels like a smaller car in normal conditions with excellent handling in snow (plows through like a tank). Very comfortable to drive and nimble. Interior is comfortable and laid out well once you get used to it. Nice set of amenities.

Suggested Improvements

Poor acceleration. Somewhat cheap-looking interior materials (in spite of HSE trim), especially door panels. Been in the shop too much for what seems like shoddy workmanship and parts (things like sun roof, relay switches, headlamps, seat heaters, etc).

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great car that does not look like every other compact suv on the market. The seating position makes it easy to see around you and is comfortable for passangers also. I have had the transmission and the sunroof replaced and there have been a number of smaller issues with the car but the dealer is fantastic to work with. I would reccomend this car as long as there is a dealer close by. I do love the thing though and I have had other SUVs before and this one is by far my favorite.

Favorite Features

heighth of the seats, the decent control, the heated windshield...fantastic, exterior design, great harmon sound system

Suggested Improvements

I wish it had the fit and quality of a Japaneese product...brakes, heating and airconditioning

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great car that does not look like every other compact SUV on the market. The seating position makes it easy to see around you and is comfortable for passangers also. I have had the transmission and the sunroof replaced and there have been a number of smaller issues with the car but the dealer is fantastic to work with. I would recommend this car as long as there is a dealer close by. I do love the thing though and I have had other SUVs before and this one is by far my favorite.

Favorite Features

Heighth of the seats, the descent control, the heated windshield. Fantastic exterior design, great Harmon sound system.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it had the fit and quality of a Japanese product. Brakes, heating and air conditioning.

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great car that does not look like every other compact SUV on the market. The seating position makes it easy to see around you and is comfortable for passengers also. I have had the transmission and the sunroof replaced and there have been a number of smaller issues with the car but the dealer is fantastic to work with. I would reccomend this car as long as there is a dealer close by. I do love the thing though and I have had other SUVs before and this one is by far my favorite.

Favorite Features

Heighth of the seats, the decent control, the heated windshield. Fantastic, exterior design, great Harmon sound system.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it had the fit and quality of a Japanese product. Improve brakes, heating and air conditioning.