Used 2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Land-rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Freeloader not Freelander
By D

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Felt like a solid vehicle initially, but it all went down hill real quick. Poor quality and no reliability. The dealer has had to replace an ECU, the transmission, rear window motor(both), hoses, and the list goes on. I owned this vehicle for only 4 months and I drove it maybe 10 times...Land Rover techs have driven it more than me..but thanks for the 06 LR3..that was pretty much the car I drove during my 4 mos with the Freelander..I mean Freeloader

Favorite Features

The Dealer, real easy to deal with...I guess they've had plenty of practice.

Suggested Improvements

Hey..I got an idea, why not build a reliable vehicle. That's a good start. You know ... something that's works when you turn the key. Stay away. you've been warned.

Acknowledge the faults
By VI Rover

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Eight months after getting my dream car I experienced transmision prolbems, got it fixed and now 5 year later I need a new transmission again. I have had to replace all the door/window acturators and issues with the brakes. I love the car, its fun when it works well. The A/C doesn't cool the entire car properly. LANDROVER acknowledge the faults and give remedy to the owners.

Favorite Features

Compact size and handling

Suggested Improvements

transmission, a/c and brakes improvements would have been nice.

This SUV made me sad
By My dream SUV

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Land Rover Freelander 2002 was my dream SUV but I had sad news about this car. After 8 months and 60000 miles I had to replace the fuel pump and head gasket. Not mechanics were available to fix this vehicle, not guarantee. I had to pay $4,000.00 to fix this truck and I really was mentally affected for all the problems that this truck gave to me. I not recommend this truck to anybody. I had to give this in trading. Then, I received a letter from Land Rover about a recall part but I didn't have the freelander on my own. But, I had the all receipts, the answer from Land Rover was that if I don't have the truck with me I can not going to receive refund for all that I paid.

Suggested Improvements

Quality

on my 3rd engine
By Lisa

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am now on my 3rd engine it this vehicle, and I only have 60,000 miles on this car. Land Rover is offering me 50% off the engine. It's not drivable... please get these cars off the road as they are seizing up on people while driving.

nothing but troubles
By wildrover

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had NOTHING but problems with my Rover. It has overheated 4X. Been in the dealership for overheating 3X. They tell me the overheating is due to something different each time. so this time it is in a different shop, since it is now not under warranty. I searched for mechanics - no one wants to touch it. I finally found a place to fix it.. & they are charging me $900.00. They say it needs a new water pump and they have to take apart 1/2 the engine to get to it. I owe the dealership that I bought it from $1000.00 for its MANY other repairs. I am a single mom.. & my credit is awful, so I can't trade it in. I am working to pay for my work transportation. ERGH ! frustrating !

Favorite Features

The drive is nice. Good size truck for a woman.

Suggested Improvements

Don't buy this truck.