Used 2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV Consumer Reviews - 180 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV - Consumer Reviews

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

landrover freelander
By lauri

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

very expensive to service and maintain. axles are gone @ 75,000 miles, have replaced radio three times, replaced the entire fan unit and sensors at 72 K miles ($1100.00) rotors and pads will be replaced every 20 K miles, but they won't tell you that at the dealership. Service maintenance is time consuming and expensive.

A lot-how about share software with non- dealers so that other service repair places can also help us out when we get stranded?

Do Not Buy a Freelander
By schpank

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Worst vehicle I've ever had. Bloated dealer service, brakes need replacing every 10k miles ($400 if dealer does it), uncomfortable seats unless you are 5'1", no real S or U in an SUV. I've owned Honda CRV, Audi A4, Nissan Maxima, Nissan Truck and Hyundai Excel - all were far better than this. This the worst vehicle mistake I hope to ever make. Buy something else!

None.

Brakes that don't need replacing every 10k miles, seats that don't cause back pain, power (it's gutless), space, reasonable service fees ($400-$800 for an oil change isn't reasonable), study Subaru, Audi, Honda or Toyota for details ...

Nice little ride
By devynsdad

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 2002 Freelander for about a year and a half before we had a third child and traded up to a Discovery. In the time I had it I had one problem with the coolant hose popping, but I was just pulling into my driveway when it happened, so no biggy. We made three 1000+ mile roundtrips in the Freelander, and had no problems at all. In a sea of Escapes, Libertys' Rav4s and CRVs the Freelander is a very sweet little alternative. Plus Land Rover dealerships treat everyone so much better than other makes it's amazing.

The ride and handling are exceptional for a small sport utility. Wet and snowy roads are no problem in the little Landy, and moderate off-roading is a breeze. The Harmon Kardon sound system absolutely rocks! It is the best system in any vehicle in this class.

The interior and instrument panel of the 2002 needed improvement, which was done in later models. Other than that, I loved everything about my Hippo.

Worst Car Ever Built
By MPakdaman

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a 2002 HSE Freelander and hope to never own another Land Rover ever again. I have had this vehicle for less than a year and it has been the worst car I have ever owned. The vehicle has been in the shop 7 times in 9 months and the transmission was rebuilt completely. How can a car with 33,000 miles ever have transmission problems. The service engine light comes on pretty much every month and the techs at LandRover never seem to understand why. After my transmission issue...I had the same problem within a week period....isn't it amazing.

None whatsoever

Get rid of the vehicle completely

Do not waste your money on a Freelander!
By Jennifer

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am the owner of a 2002 s Freelander. I have had nothing but problems. We had to have the windshield replaced, the passenger window fixed and just recently needed the transmission replaced. We are lucky for the fact that we purchased the extended warranty. Our dealership has also been terrible to deal with. If you do purchase a freelander, please buy the extended warranty, trust me you will need it.

Very tight steering and runs excellent in the snow.