2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
Best in class by far!
By dorknuts2002 on 08/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've read Automobile Magazine's review calling it best in class and I've also read that cynical guy's review from the New York Times knocking it to pieces. I'll tell you first hand that this is by far the best vehicle in it's class! From the awesome Land Rover looks and status to it's BMW like perfomance, for the money, you can't beat it. This guy from the New York Times must have mistaken it for a RAV 4 or something because this Mini-SUV rocks. And once you fall in love with it on road you then take it off road and you can't even compare it to anything else in it's class because nothing else can do these things! You have to drive it to understand.

Horrible Vehicle
By Bingo on 08/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Since taking off the lot I have had nothing but problems....engine, tranny, power windows... Nothing but problems. Horrible customer service. JUNK!

More problems
By monkeygirl on 07/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Got my mirror fixed, but now there is an annoying chirping sound coming from the passenger side wheels. They serviced and said it was fixed. It made the noise after 20 miles. I have had this car for 26 days & spent 7 of those in a rental. Everyone I deal with is so nice it is hard to get angry with them for their incompetance.....it's like yelling at a puppy. The dealer I purchased this vehicle from "forgot" to return my previous leased vehicle....and now I am trying to get that mess sorted out. It has been such a horrible experience that I wish I had kept my other vehicle (and I hated that Explorer).

electrical gremlins
By oliver986 on 07/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

has already been out of service for 14 days - close to hitting lemon law requirements. numerous electrical problems- windows not working - heated seats going out - but most importantly - a/c system backup causes water to shoot out of dash vents! shorts out radio and a/c and eventually the battery!

Second Impressions - after one month...
By Chai2 on 07/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Having driven just over 1,000 miles in a month I must say that our Freelander is a winner. It is without doubt the best handling SUV I've driven, hugging the road like a BMW in tight turns. It's traction is superb in slick conditions. We've been off-road a few times and our Freelander surprised every time with its electrifying performance. We improved upon the already excellent seat comfort by installing third-party armrest (found through the internet). We also installed full length roof rails further improving the already stylish look.

AWESOME! Experience and Car
By TJ Rover on 07/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This new Rover is so much fun to drive. Was odd to get use to the "high" seating Rover puts in its cars, but after that it was great! This blows all other mini-utes out of the water as far as base options, road handling and drivability. This SUV drives like a sports car. The road noise is pretty low and the engine VERY quiet. The Rover dealer was the best too. No "vultures" swarming you as you exit your car. They were pleasant, asked if we needed help and left us alone (unlike Toyota). Worked well with us and gave us a fair deal in les than 2 hours (including 2 test drives!) They were real pros!

Just leased a week ago
By Monkeygirl on 07/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had it one week and it has already been in the shop. My driver side mirror was scratched....they broke the scratched mirror removing it and then broke the new mirror installing it. So, they kept my new car over July 4th and then I picked it up yesterday. I drove off and then realized that the new mirror is distorted....great work guys. It is annoying and if I hadn't already taken the car off road and loved how it handled....I would be way more upset. Luckily, they gave me a great sports car as a rental while they fixed my mirror (the 1st time)....we'll see what happens on Monday.

Great little 'Landie
By bryanmsi on 07/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

After reviewing nearly every small SUV, I thought the new Land Rover Freelander was the easy choice. Only a few thousand more than comparably-equipped Escape or Liberty but with features neither of them had, like traction control, steptronic transmission, and hill descent control. On road handling is simply awesome - this thing feels like a European sports car. Off road, it still feels like a mountain goat. I also love the quirky interior layout. It is refreshingly different from other vehicles on the road and really reminds you that you have a Land Rover.

Perfect size for Mom, Baby and Outdoors
By cjm on 07/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

After my husbands safari-equipped Discovery and driving many traditional SUV's... the Freelander meets all of our needs WITHOUT the worry of fitting in a parking garage. Dollar for dollar the Freelander makes the most financial sense... It drives like a passenger car, has the off-road capability of its brothers and can handle a family of four with all the gear accordingly.... additionally, aside from the service you can expect to find associated with the Land Rover name it is always nice to know your vehicle is not another cookie-cut product found in every garage in America.

I feel decadent!
By crazycat on 07/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I'm a new Freelander owner, so I can't comment on things such as reliability and the like, but I must say that I couldn't be happier with my purchase. People assume that since it's a LR that it has a high price tag; I keep telling friends that the base model is truly reasonable, which it is! The LR buying experience is truly no hassle, and the 3.9% financing can't be beat. Customer service from everyone was SUPERB!!!!! This mini-SUV is perfect for me, as I'm only 5'1", but my husband, who is 6'3" would like more head room and a driver's seat up/down switch. Even if you have no plans of buying one, treat yourself and go drive one.