Used 2002 Land Rover Freelander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Land Rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

mad in Texas
By madin TX

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I loved my Freelander until my first experience with the Rover dealership. I paid over $300 for the 45,000 miles checkup.They told me there was nothing wrong with the transmission. Now that I am out of warranty at 50,000 miles I am having problems. I called them and told them that my brake lights just stopped working and I have to go out of town and I needed to get them fixed asap. They told me it would cost me $125.00 and they could not get to it for four days! My husband paid $17.83 for the brake light swtich and fixed it in less than five minutes.

The worst SUV on the road
By Kenneth

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Ive never had a car with this much problems. It has been in ths shop 6 time in less than 2 years. First time the check engine light came on it was still under warranty. Then the cooling system went haywire. It took three times for the dealer figured out what the problem was. After repacing the hoses, cooling fan and then finally the water pump. Then the brakes wear out unusally fast tearing into the rotors, twice in less than 18 months. Then the sunroof clatters. The back door won't open it needed the motor replaced. Then finally with less than 75k the Transmisson went out the whole thing needed to be replaced.

Phase this vechicle out, go back to the drawing board this vechicle is trash.

A total lemon
By PeterJ4

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Leasing this car has been an absolute nightmare! From the brakes to the electronics, from the sunroof to the stereo, everything on my vehicle has needed to be repaired. LR North America rushed this vehicle to market and consumers have paid the price. Totals lemons! Land Rover could learn a lot from Honda about customer service and customer retention. Would- be Land Rover owners, BEWARE! My warranty just expired and LR refuses to fix my defective sunroof even though this is known to be a common defect.

Coolant System and Transmission
By Shirley Allen

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Transmission had to be replaced. Was still under warranty. Had to have coolant tank replaced, then thermostat replaced because of constant overheat of engine. Vehicle in shop. Dealer says engine needs replacing because of cracked engine. Coolant getting into oil? These are major problems for a vehicle with only 85000 miles and for the cost to purchase this vehicle. Also brake pad need replacing too often.

More durable transmission, longer lasting brakes and reliable cooling system.

Run, Don't Walk, Away from This Car!!
By DHall

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We really like the look of this car and interior, but the reliability and service is the worst. This car has been nothing but problems since day 1. Service people not friendly and overcharge you on everything. Dealerships all very far away unless you live in a bigger city. Engine went out at 50,000 miles, right after lease bought out and warranty up conveniently. Brakes suddenly went out with no warning and ruined the rotors right away. Heater never worked right and sunroof broken. NEVER AGAIN will I step foot on a Land Rover lot or recommend them to someone else. I wouldn't want someone else to be stuck like us. Run away fast!!

exterior and interior design

Make sure a vehicle works before you put it out on the market!!