Used 2002 Land Rover Freelander Consumer Reviews - 181 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Land Rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

What are the complaints about?
By Jaybird

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this vehicle for about a month now and am very impressed with it. I am averaging 23 mpg and no mechanical problems. I have read many negative reviews about this vehicle and have figured out why. First, this is not a sports car. I can see why people have to have engines replaced. The engine requires synthetic oil only. It has enough power to do the job but can see people flooring it all the time because it "just isn't enough" and that takes it toll on an engine, as is also true for the transmission. The brakes are disc- front/drum back so you cannot stand on the brakes all the time and not expect to replace pads very often. It's a luxury SUV treat it good, it will reciprocate.

High seating position. Easy to work on. Heated windshield.

A little bid better interior lighting system would be good. Darker window tinting. A little bid more control of the seating.

My complaints
By Jonathan

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

My Landrover is now dead for 85,000 miles. It can not run anymore. The mechanics of Landrover cannot find the problem by diagnostics alone. They have to open the engine to find out but not a guarantee that they will find it. How STUPID this Landrover diagnostics is. Landrover should terminate the Engineer who built this STUPID car diagnostics computer. The service advisor told me that the only thing that can fix my car is to replace the whole engine which will cost me $8,000 plus labor and tax.

mad in Texas
By madin TX

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I loved my Freelander until my first experience with the Rover dealership. I paid over $300 for the 45,000 miles checkup.They told me there was nothing wrong with the transmission. Now that I am out of warranty at 50,000 miles I am having problems. I called them and told them that my brake lights just stopped working and I have to go out of town and I needed to get them fixed asap. They told me it would cost me $125.00 and they could not get to it for four days! My husband paid $17.83 for the brake light swtich and fixed it in less than five minutes.

The worst SUV on the road
By Kenneth

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Ive never had a car with this much problems. It has been in ths shop 6 time in less than 2 years. First time the check engine light came on it was still under warranty. Then the cooling system went haywire. It took three times for the dealer figured out what the problem was. After repacing the hoses, cooling fan and then finally the water pump. Then the brakes wear out unusally fast tearing into the rotors, twice in less than 18 months. Then the sunroof clatters. The back door won't open it needed the motor replaced. Then finally with less than 75k the Transmisson went out the whole thing needed to be replaced.

Phase this vechicle out, go back to the drawing board this vechicle is trash.

A total lemon
By PeterJ4

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Leasing this car has been an absolute nightmare! From the brakes to the electronics, from the sunroof to the stereo, everything on my vehicle has needed to be repaired. LR North America rushed this vehicle to market and consumers have paid the price. Totals lemons! Land Rover could learn a lot from Honda about customer service and customer retention. Would- be Land Rover owners, BEWARE! My warranty just expired and LR refuses to fix my defective sunroof even though this is known to be a common defect.