Used 2002 Land Rover Freelander S SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Land-rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

sad
By diana66

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

i bought mine with 87 000 miles on it, i paid 3000.00 and in my first year i spent 4000.00 , head gasket, power windows, etc, and i had two recall. now a think the car has transmission and engine issues, so sad!!!

Favorite Features

it is a small suv, very gas economic , stable, excellent suspension.

Suggested Improvements

land rover has to improve the engine, transmission, etc etc

Highly Recommend - Superb features, unbeatable value!
By offroadfanatic

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car a few years back, primarily on the fact that I could afford it and it basically met my needs. I had to put a little work into it, but nothing more than you would expect out of a car with 100k miles on it. Minor things have stopped working like the cruise control but nothing that's worth bothering fixing. This CUV has acceptable clearance and can accept tires 4 inches taller than what's stock (my estimate) and give it a lot more capability off road regarding clearance. Now, the best part of this car is the amazing capabilities. Aside from the luxury accessories - heated seats and windshield, etc. The performance of this little guy is absolutely amazing - on & off road!

Favorite Features

Downhill Decsent Sport Shifting Phenomenal performance in the snow

Suggested Improvements

Larger rear cargo area More clearance - or airbags.

Tons of repairs
By freelander25

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a used "02 freelander in "05. After 1 year the transmission had to be replaced. Then the A/C broke. Then a couple other valves. The two back rear doors broke, they could only be opened from the inside. The rear driver's side window doesn't open. The only plus are the seat warmers. I would not recommend this purchase.

Worst purchase
By Ceceila

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Well I purchased my land rover in 2007 and the first thing i had to fix after two weeks of having the land rover was the passenger window on the drivers side, which was a lot of money, than 6 months later i had to fix the brakes, then the water pump, thermometer, gas tank, which i might is upside down after taking it someone other than land rover and now the head gasket, I had to fix the land rover more than enjoy it, it put me down after it was supposedly fixed twice on the freeway last year when I was 8 months pregnant, I have had the greatest time with this vehicle, unfortunately there was no warranty available when i purchased the vehicle, i would like my money back

Favorite Features

I like the space it provides and the amount of trunk space in the back

Suggested Improvements

Land rover needs to recall this vehicle all together and provide a more reliable transportation for everyone that purchased this ticking time bomb, no one wants to touch it.

Acknowledge the faults
By VI Rover

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Eight months after getting my dream car I experienced transmision prolbems, got it fixed and now 5 year later I need a new transmission again. I have had to replace all the door/window acturators and issues with the brakes. I love the car, its fun when it works well. The A/C doesn't cool the entire car properly. LANDROVER acknowledge the faults and give remedy to the owners.

Favorite Features

Compact size and handling

Suggested Improvements

transmission, a/c and brakes improvements would have been nice.