2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
Doesn't Live Up to Land Rover
By tylo on 05/05/12 14:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car was expected to be an excellent car, but what we got was far from it. This car has had issues from day one. Each window, excluding the windshield, has had to been replaced at least once, for a total of seven times because they would not roll up or down. The car currently only has 60,000 miles on it, but only two years after buying the car, the transmission had to be replaced at a whopping $6000. Roughly four years ago, the engine had overheating problems, and since then, we've only been able to drive it short distances, which kept things at bay. This car wasn't built very well, but hey, it is a nimble little SUV, and is still fun to drive. I just don't touch the manual shifter..

It would be nice, if it'd start.
By Laura E. on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle in January of 2007. It ran fine for a few months but then started experiencing every problem you could imagine. Would jolt from 1st to 2nd gear. Electrical issues were vast. Vehicle rarely started. I could get up and drive it to work but then once you turn it off, it wouldn't turn back on - say if you forgot your cell at home, etc. Was temperamental. The air from the vents stunk like pickles.

Night mare
By Budu on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have spent over $12,000 on this car, $7,500 of which at a dealership to fix the engine, with no luck. Then the transmission broke down and that took another $4,000. It has been out for less than 200 miles and the service engine light is on. This car is so lovable but such a nightmare. Are there new model engines and transmissions that can work on this 2002 Freelander?

This SUV made me sad
By My dream SUV on 09/08/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Land Rover Freelander 2002 was my dream SUV but I had sad news about this car. After 8 months and 60000 miles I had to replace the fuel pump and head gasket. Not mechanics were available to fix this vehicle, not guarantee. I had to pay $4,000.00 to fix this truck and I really was mentally affected for all the problems that this truck gave to me. I not recommend this truck to anybody. I had to give this in trading. Then, I received a letter from Land Rover about a recall part but I didn't have the freelander on my own. But, I had the all receipts, the answer from Land Rover was that if I don't have the truck with me I can not going to receive refund for all that I paid.

Junk car
By ak on 08/06/10 13:53 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my freelander with around 42,000 miles on it. I didn't have any problems until the car hit 60,000 miles. Since then, this car has been breaking down like I have never seen before. I had to put a new fuel pump, sun roof, drive shaft, window regulator, cam seals, engine . The vehicle has only 80,000 miles on it currently. I maintain my cars and did all the factory recommended service maintenance. Also most of my driving has been on the interstate. I have a second car I do my city driving with. This is the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I will never by another landrover. Do yourself a favor and stay away from landrovers, unless you want a junk car!

A Terrible Car
By Jake on 06/04/10 08:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a terrible car! One month after I bought it the timing belt breaks and I spend $ 500 getting a new one put in. The next month, the motor needs to be checked again, another $600 bucks spent on it! I was driving it in manual one day and the transmission loses all gears except for park and neutral. And I was on the interstate at rush hour, the car gets towed overnight because the tow truck won't bring it to my house, Land Rover wants me to spend $1000 bucks getting the tranny rebuilt, the Hyundai dealer where I bought it said to just sell it which I did to my brother for $200 because he would fix it someday. Bad SUV for anybody.

Don't ever buy a Landrover Freelander
By Maurice on 02/10/10 14:17 PM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have never had so many issues with a vehicle. If you are even thinking about buying a Land Rover Freelander STOP! Don’t waste your money. Two weeks after I bought it I noticed the engine was over heating and that was the start of my problems. From the motor, to the windows, to the heat, to the sunroof, to the door locks all had to be replaced with NO RECALLS. I know I put at least $6,000 into it. The dealership doesn’t exist anymore and the Freelander is a huge lemon. I repeat DO NOT BUY A LANDROVER!

2002 Landrover Freelander
By Kate on 10/14/09 19:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

It's sad to say I must agree with all the negative reviews written. This by no means was the worst vehicle I had ever owned. Within the first few months the sunroof went 3 times, after the 3rd time landrover replaced it, but the new one had issues too. I stopped using the sunroof. The driver side rear window broke 3 times. After the 4th year of owning this vehicle hugh mechanical disasters, and finally the engine went, transmission started slipping and the diffrentials went. I would never reccommend landrover products to anyone, waste of money and time. Landrover should pay the customers to driver the vehicle.

The Only Tank Built Freelander?
By 1st FREELANDER on 09/29/09 08:17 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I must be very lucky to have gotten the miles out of my Freelander, even though its dying quickly now. Recently the transmission lost 2nd gear (just skips right over it now) and the sunroof won't open, and the AC just died. However this Freelander was the first one sold in my state and has had a heck of a great run. Currently with 224,550 miles on it (not a typo), I refuse to put money into it at this stage in its life, so I guess its time to part. After reading everyone's issues with this Land Rover model, I feel like I should fix it up and sell it to the Land Rover museum.

Another nightmare...
By GearJam on 08/23/09 11:02 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Oh, let's see.. I've put 4500 miles on my Freelander since purchase, and have spent MORE in repair bills than I payed for the car. Transmission- Failed.Transfer Case-Failed. Engine- failing.A/c,Sunroof, Power Door locks, failed, failed, failed. 84K on the clock so far, and if I ever see my Rover again, she's getting traded for a Jeep Wrangler, No questions about it no more Land Rover Products are in my future.