Used 2002 Land Rover Freelander HSE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Land-rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Best Car I've Every Owned
By jerrocopter

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We've had our "hippo" since 2005 and purchased it with only 12k miles on it. We now have over 110k and we've loved driving every mile with this SUV. We did a lot of research before we made the purchase and knew about the many problems that others have reported with this vehicle, but we have been so pleased with the reliability and fun-ness of the Freelander. We have not experienced any of the frequent problems that are reported. Neither my wife or I take very good care of the mechanics of our cars. We usually go 10-15k between oil changes, we've never changed the transmission fluid, and sparkplugs were replaced for the first time at 95k. It still runs great and is very reliable.

Favorite Features

Hill Descent, Stadium Seating, GPS Navigation, Traction Control, Reliablility, Ground Clearance, Heated Windscreen, Fun to Drive.

Suggested Improvements

Its a bit noisy in the cabin while cruising on the freeway, HID headlamps.

We love our Landrover Freelander
By Patty

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

There's a Landrover club and many other Freelander owners love theirs as we love ours and have had no problems with it other than normal wear items. It seems the only ones writing reviews are ones that have had problems but most Freelander owners I know have a good and reliable experience with theirs.

Favorite Features

All the creature comforts you can think of.

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice to have removable rear seats to pick up an extra 8 inches even though they fold forward.

excellent
By chris

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

maybe some have had a bad experience but i have had nothing but a pleasure owning this truck, i have 53000 miles on it and have no problems whatsoever, regular maintenance and thats all. my 3rd rover and my brother has had 9 and currently owns 2, get a good garage people, the freelander is a great vehicle

Favorite Features

classy suv

Love my Freelander
By Cathy

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this SUV. It has been reliable, fun to drive and just all around a great car. Would definitely buy another one!

Favorite Features

Solid feel when driving

2002 freelander landrover
By rokit777

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Hello I purchased my landrover at 45,000 mi,I felt so lucky to have such a beautiful SUV. The problems began as I drove my car out of the dealership. It was at the dealership for the first month of owner ship , I had fuel line problems, coolant leak, heater core replaced, coolant system replaced, transmission replaced, brakes replaced very often, needless to say the car has been great when it runs... I love it.... but too many mechanical problems,and pricey to fix. I am now at 100,000 mi and once again when I turn the heater on there is a burning smell, and the smell of coolant . I cannot afford anymore work, I cannot afford a new engine or head gasket. I took a loss and traded it in...

Favorite Features

Luxory , top of the line,

Suggested Improvements

integrity from Landrover, Poor quality engine, Bad insides