2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
sad
By diana66 on 04/21/13 17:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

i bought mine with 87 000 miles on it, i paid 3000.00 and in my first year i spent 4000.00 , head gasket, power windows, etc, and i had two recall. now a think the car has transmission and engine issues, so sad!!!

Best Car I've Every Owned
By jerrocopter on 04/16/13 11:06 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We've had our "hippo" since 2005 and purchased it with only 12k miles on it. We now have over 110k and we've loved driving every mile with this SUV. We did a lot of research before we made the purchase and knew about the many problems that others have reported with this vehicle, but we have been so pleased with the reliability and fun-ness of the Freelander. We have not experienced any of the frequent problems that are reported. Neither my wife or I take very good care of the mechanics of our cars. We usually go 10-15k between oil changes, we've never changed the transmission fluid, and sparkplugs were replaced for the first time at 95k. It still runs great and is very reliable.

Highly Recommend - Superb features, unbeatable value!
By offroadfanatic on 09/29/12 17:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car a few years back, primarily on the fact that I could afford it and it basically met my needs. I had to put a little work into it, but nothing more than you would expect out of a car with 100k miles on it. Minor things have stopped working like the cruise control but nothing that's worth bothering fixing. This CUV has acceptable clearance and can accept tires 4 inches taller than what's stock (my estimate) and give it a lot more capability off road regarding clearance. Now, the best part of this car is the amazing capabilities. Aside from the luxury accessories - heated seats and windshield, etc. The performance of this little guy is absolutely amazing - on & off road!

Doesn't Live Up to Land Rover
By tylo on 05/05/12 14:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car was expected to be an excellent car, but what we got was far from it. This car has had issues from day one. Each window, excluding the windshield, has had to been replaced at least once, for a total of seven times because they would not roll up or down. The car currently only has 60,000 miles on it, but only two years after buying the car, the transmission had to be replaced at a whopping $6000. Roughly four years ago, the engine had overheating problems, and since then, we've only been able to drive it short distances, which kept things at bay. This car wasn't built very well, but hey, it is a nimble little SUV, and is still fun to drive. I just don't touch the manual shifter..

It would be nice, if it'd start.
By Laura E. on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle in January of 2007. It ran fine for a few months but then started experiencing every problem you could imagine. Would jolt from 1st to 2nd gear. Electrical issues were vast. Vehicle rarely started. I could get up and drive it to work but then once you turn it off, it wouldn't turn back on - say if you forgot your cell at home, etc. Was temperamental. The air from the vents stunk like pickles.

Night mare
By Budu on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have spent over $12,000 on this car, $7,500 of which at a dealership to fix the engine, with no luck. Then the transmission broke down and that took another $4,000. It has been out for less than 200 miles and the service engine light is on. This car is so lovable but such a nightmare. Are there new model engines and transmissions that can work on this 2002 Freelander?

This SUV made me sad
By My dream SUV on 09/08/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Land Rover Freelander 2002 was my dream SUV but I had sad news about this car. After 8 months and 60000 miles I had to replace the fuel pump and head gasket. Not mechanics were available to fix this vehicle, not guarantee. I had to pay $4,000.00 to fix this truck and I really was mentally affected for all the problems that this truck gave to me. I not recommend this truck to anybody. I had to give this in trading. Then, I received a letter from Land Rover about a recall part but I didn't have the freelander on my own. But, I had the all receipts, the answer from Land Rover was that if I don't have the truck with me I can not going to receive refund for all that I paid.

Junk car
By ak on 08/06/10 13:53 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my freelander with around 42,000 miles on it. I didn't have any problems until the car hit 60,000 miles. Since then, this car has been breaking down like I have never seen before. I had to put a new fuel pump, sun roof, drive shaft, window regulator, cam seals, engine . The vehicle has only 80,000 miles on it currently. I maintain my cars and did all the factory recommended service maintenance. Also most of my driving has been on the interstate. I have a second car I do my city driving with. This is the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I will never by another landrover. Do yourself a favor and stay away from landrovers, unless you want a junk car!

Love my Freelander
By Cathy on 07/08/10 15:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this SUV. It has been reliable, fun to drive and just all around a great car. Would definitely buy another one!

We love our Landrover Freelander
By Patty on 07/08/10 15:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

There's a Landrover club and many other Freelander owners love theirs as we love ours and have had no problems with it other than normal wear items. It seems the only ones writing reviews are ones that have had problems but most Freelander owners I know have a good and reliable experience with theirs.