Used 2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV Consumer Reviews - 181 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

I fell in love with it. It's so cute to me.
By Samantha

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I wanted the truck every since I first saw it in 2007. I am actually very attached to the truck. But some things have popped by me trusting in some ignorant men who not once after touching my truck have caused me some real repair issues. And I am totally livid. They range from valet Parkers to mechanics. Each and every time they broke something or cause extra problems!!! I now have MS and have lots of mobility issues. Must have a truck that I can get my scooter out of easily. I am not going to give my truck away. Understand that. It's still a LandRover. Brand new tires new battery and lots of other work and some immediate things that I plan to do. But it's still got a ton of features and it's a LandRover and I'm won't have it stolen with low- ball offers!!

run away!
By m.g.davis

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

do not buy a used land rover.... maintenance nightmare , replacement parts will break you. no one but dealers can work on them, look it up plz... a water pump replacement for this vehicle is approx $3,300.00 dont believe me..? call a dealer and ask. Worst auto mistake I've ever made.

sad
By diana66

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

i bought mine with 87 000 miles on it, i paid 3000.00 and in my first year i spent 4000.00 , head gasket, power windows, etc, and i had two recall. now a think the car has transmission and engine issues, so sad!!!

it is a small suv, very gas economic , stable, excellent suspension.

land rover has to improve the engine, transmission, etc etc

Best Car I've Every Owned
By jerrocopter

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We've had our "hippo" since 2005 and purchased it with only 12k miles on it.
We now have over 110k and we've loved driving every mile with this SUV.
We did a lot of research before we made the purchase and knew about the many problems that others have reported with this vehicle, but we have been so pleased with the reliability and fun-ness of the Freelander.
We have not experienced any of the frequent problems that are reported.
Neither my wife or I take very good care of the mechanics of our cars.
We usually go 10-15k between oil changes, we've never changed the transmission fluid, and sparkplugs were replaced for the first time at 95k.
It still runs great and is very reliable.

Hill Descent, Stadium Seating, GPS Navigation, Traction Control, Reliablility, Ground Clearance, Heated Windscreen, Fun to Drive.

Its a bit noisy in the cabin while cruising on the freeway, HID headlamps.

Highly Recommend - Superb features, unbeatable value!
By offroadfanatic

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car a few years back, primarily on the fact that I could afford it and it basically met my needs.
I had to put a little work into it, but nothing more than you would expect out of a car with 100k miles on it.
Minor things have stopped working like the cruise control but nothing that's worth bothering fixing.

This CUV has acceptable clearance and can accept tires 4 inches taller than what's stock (my estimate) and give it a lot more capability off road regarding clearance.
Now, the best part of this car is the amazing capabilities.
Aside from the luxury accessories - heated seats and windshield, etc.
The performance of this little guy is absolutely amazing - on & off road!

Downhill Decsent Sport Shifting Phenomenal performance in the snow

Larger rear cargo area More clearance - or airbags.