Used 2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

sad
By diana66

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

i bought mine with 87 000 miles on it, i paid 3000.00 and in my first year i spent 4000.00 , head gasket, power windows, etc, and i had two recall. now a think the car has transmission and engine issues, so sad!!!

it is a small suv, very gas economic , stable, excellent suspension.

land rover has to improve the engine, transmission, etc etc

Best Car I've Every Owned
By jerrocopter

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We've had our "hippo" since 2005 and purchased it with only 12k miles on it. We now have over 110k and we've loved driving every mile with this SUV. We did a lot of research before we made the purchase and knew about the many problems that others have reported with this vehicle, but we have been so pleased with the reliability and fun-ness of the Freelander. We have not experienced any of the frequent problems that are reported. Neither my wife or I take very good care of the mechanics of our cars. We usually go 10-15k between oil changes, we've never changed the transmission fluid, and sparkplugs were replaced for the first time at 95k. It still runs great and is very reliable.

Hill Descent, Stadium Seating, GPS Navigation, Traction Control, Reliablility, Ground Clearance, Heated Windscreen, Fun to Drive.

Its a bit noisy in the cabin while cruising on the freeway, HID headlamps.

Highly Recommend - Superb features, unbeatable value!
By offroadfanatic

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car a few years back, primarily on the fact that I could afford it and it basically met my needs. I had to put a little work into it, but nothing more than you would expect out of a car with 100k miles on it. Minor things have stopped working like the cruise control but nothing that's worth bothering fixing. This CUV has acceptable clearance and can accept tires 4 inches taller than what's stock (my estimate) and give it a lot more capability off road regarding clearance. Now, the best part of this car is the amazing capabilities. Aside from the luxury accessories - heated seats and windshield, etc. The performance of this little guy is absolutely amazing - on & off road!

Downhill Decsent Sport Shifting Phenomenal performance in the snow

Larger rear cargo area More clearance - or airbags.

Doesn't Live Up to Land Rover
By tylo

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car was expected to be an excellent car, but what we got was far from it. This car has had issues from day one. Each window, excluding the windshield, has had to been replaced at least once, for a total of seven times because they would not roll up or down. The car currently only has 60,000 miles on it, but only two years after buying the car, the transmission had to be replaced at a whopping $6000. Roughly four years ago, the engine had overheating problems, and since then, we've only been able to drive it short distances, which kept things at bay. This car wasn't built very well, but hey, it is a nimble little SUV, and is still fun to drive. I just don't touch the manual shifter..

It would be nice, if it'd start.
By Laura E.

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle in January of 2007. It ran fine for a few months but then started experiencing every problem you could imagine. Would jolt from 1st to 2nd gear. Electrical issues were vast. Vehicle rarely started. I could get up and drive it to work but then once you turn it off, it wouldn't turn back on - say if you forgot your cell at home, etc. Was temperamental. The air from the vents stunk like pickles.

interior design, sunroof, overall design.

complete pile of crap. They need to work on overall engineering, reliability. Will be the last Landrover I EVER buy!