2002 Land Rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
Best Car I've Every Owned
By jerrocopter on 04/16/13 11:06 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We've had our "hippo" since 2005 and purchased it with only 12k miles on it. We now have over 110k and we've loved driving every mile with this SUV. We did a lot of research before we made the purchase and knew about the many problems that others have reported with this vehicle, but we have been so pleased with the reliability and fun-ness of the Freelander. We have not experienced any of the frequent problems that are reported. Neither my wife or I take very good care of the mechanics of our cars. We usually go 10-15k between oil changes, we've never changed the transmission fluid, and sparkplugs were replaced for the first time at 95k. It still runs great and is very reliable.

Love my Freelander
By Cathy on 07/08/10 15:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this SUV. It has been reliable, fun to drive and just all around a great car. Would definitely buy another one!

We love our Landrover Freelander
By Patty on 07/08/10 15:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

There's a Landrover club and many other Freelander owners love theirs as we love ours and have had no problems with it other than normal wear items. It seems the only ones writing reviews are ones that have had problems but most Freelander owners I know have a good and reliable experience with theirs.

2002 freelander landrover
By rokit777 on 12/12/09 03:13 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Hello I purchased my landrover at 45,000 mi,I felt so lucky to have such a beautiful SUV. The problems began as I drove my car out of the dealership. It was at the dealership for the first month of owner ship , I had fuel line problems, coolant leak, heater core replaced, coolant system replaced, transmission replaced, brakes replaced very often, needless to say the car has been great when it runs... I love it.... but too many mechanical problems,and pricey to fix. I am now at 100,000 mi and once again when I turn the heater on there is a burning smell, and the smell of coolant . I cannot afford anymore work, I cannot afford a new engine or head gasket. I took a loss and traded it in...

excellent
By chris on 11/25/09 18:39 PM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

maybe some have had a bad experience but i have had nothing but a pleasure owning this truck, i have 53000 miles on it and have no problems whatsoever, regular maintenance and thats all. my 3rd rover and my brother has had 9 and currently owns 2, get a good garage people, the freelander is a great vehicle

Junk
By Lou on 06/26/09 10:22 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Stay away from this car and all other land rovers. This model is land rovers dirty little secret

Get rid of it ASAP
By Pilianni on 05/26/09 14:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

spend 9,000 for an used engine. 5,000 for transmission 1500 for a water pump 1500 for a fuel pump and I have only drove the car for 80,000 miles now I may have to replace the transmission again.

Freeloser
By harndt on 03/06/09 10:51 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

What was Land Rover thinking?! I have replaced the engine, transmission, heater core, thermostat, exhaust plenum, rear window actuator (twice) and have had my car in the shop longer than I've been able to drive it! Land Rover will not take responsibility for this mistake of a vehicle. I was told the engine broke because the valves bent. They built the engine with "Interference valves" meaning they do interfere. If they are slightly off, the pistons will smash into them, causing them to brake- causing you to need a new engine. I only have 60,000 miles on mine and have spen more repairing it than I owe on it. Does anyone know of any class action lawsuits? Because I am on board.

Don't even think about it.
By T031569 on 07/10/08 17:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This SUV has been nothing but a real headache. It has been serviced more times than I care to remember. You have to have deep pockets to fix anything that goes wrong on this. The transmission has given me issues, the radio was replaced twice, the rear door lock was replaced twice, traction control and service engine lights stay on, the vehicle always need rotors and brakes. One headache after another, the list just goes on and on. Rethink your decision to buy this expensive lemon.

Freelander Warning!
By warranted on 05/30/07 08:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Nothing but problems with electric, engine, windows. Stupidly let mileage get past warranty, only to have engine blow due to a design defect Land Rover is well aware of, coolant leaks into engine block, lock-up, one dead engine. LR will do nothing for victims like me (estimated $10,000 or so loss in "value" from one day to next, as I now hold nothing but an engineless shell). Strongly recommend against Land Rover due to poor quality.