Used 2002 Land Rover Freelander SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Land-rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

2002 Land Rover Freelander

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Doesn't Live Up to Land Rover
By tylo

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car was expected to be an excellent car, but what we got was far from it. This car has had issues from day one. Each window, excluding the windshield, has had to been replaced at least once, for a total of seven times because they would not roll up or down. The car currently only has 60,000 miles on it, but only two years after buying the car, the transmission had to be replaced at a whopping $6000. Roughly four years ago, the engine had overheating problems, and since then, we've only been able to drive it short distances, which kept things at bay. This car wasn't built very well, but hey, it is a nimble little SUV, and is still fun to drive. I just don't touch the manual shifter..

It would be nice, if it'd start.
By Laura E.

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle in January of 2007. It ran fine for a few months but then started experiencing every problem you could imagine. Would jolt from 1st to 2nd gear. Electrical issues were vast. Vehicle rarely started. I could get up and drive it to work but then once you turn it off, it wouldn't turn back on - say if you forgot your cell at home, etc. Was temperamental. The air from the vents stunk like pickles.

Favorite Features

interior design, sunroof, overall design.

Suggested Improvements

complete pile of crap. They need to work on overall engineering, reliability. Will be the last Landrover I EVER buy!

Night mare
By Budu

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have spent over $12,000 on this car, $7,500 of which at a dealership to fix the engine, with no luck. Then the transmission broke down and that took another $4,000. It has been out for less than 200 miles and the service engine light is on. This car is so lovable but such a nightmare. Are there new model engines and transmissions that can work on this 2002 Freelander?

Favorite Features

Body style, AWD, gas mileage, radio and speakers

Suggested Improvements

We love our Land Rovers but need reliable engine and transmission.

This SUV made me sad
By My dream SUV

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Land Rover Freelander 2002 was my dream SUV but I had sad news about this car. After 8 months and 60000 miles I had to replace the fuel pump and head gasket. Not mechanics were available to fix this vehicle, not guarantee. I had to pay $4,000.00 to fix this truck and I really was mentally affected for all the problems that this truck gave to me. I not recommend this truck to anybody. I had to give this in trading. Then, I received a letter from Land Rover about a recall part but I didn't have the freelander on my own. But, I had the all receipts, the answer from Land Rover was that if I don't have the truck with me I can not going to receive refund for all that I paid.

Suggested Improvements

Quality

Junk car
By ak

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my freelander with around 42,000 miles on it. I didn't have any problems until the car hit 60,000 miles. Since then, this car has been breaking down like I have never seen before. I had to put a new fuel pump, sun roof, drive shaft, window regulator, cam seals, engine . The vehicle has only 80,000 miles on it currently. I maintain my cars and did all the factory recommended service maintenance. Also most of my driving has been on the interstate. I have a second car I do my city driving with. This is the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I will never by another landrover. Do yourself a favor and stay away from landrovers, unless you want a junk car!

Favorite Features

Seats are very comfortable and the car drives smooth when its not in the mechanic. The engine is quiet and the struts are great.

Suggested Improvements

A whole new build! Keep this car off the market.