2002 Land Rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
sad
By diana66 on 04/21/13 17:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

i bought mine with 87 000 miles on it, i paid 3000.00 and in my first year i spent 4000.00 , head gasket, power windows, etc, and i had two recall. now a think the car has transmission and engine issues, so sad!!!

Highly Recommend - Superb features, unbeatable value!
By offroadfanatic on 09/29/12 17:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car a few years back, primarily on the fact that I could afford it and it basically met my needs. I had to put a little work into it, but nothing more than you would expect out of a car with 100k miles on it. Minor things have stopped working like the cruise control but nothing that's worth bothering fixing. This CUV has acceptable clearance and can accept tires 4 inches taller than what's stock (my estimate) and give it a lot more capability off road regarding clearance. Now, the best part of this car is the amazing capabilities. Aside from the luxury accessories - heated seats and windshield, etc. The performance of this little guy is absolutely amazing - on & off road!

Tons of repairs
By freelander25 on 06/07/10 15:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a used "02 freelander in "05. After 1 year the transmission had to be replaced. Then the A/C broke. Then a couple other valves. The two back rear doors broke, they could only be opened from the inside. The rear driver's side window doesn't open. The only plus are the seat warmers. I would not recommend this purchase.

Worst purchase
By Ceceila on 05/02/10 14:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Well I purchased my land rover in 2007 and the first thing i had to fix after two weeks of having the land rover was the passenger window on the drivers side, which was a lot of money, than 6 months later i had to fix the brakes, then the water pump, thermometer, gas tank, which i might is upside down after taking it someone other than land rover and now the head gasket, I had to fix the land rover more than enjoy it, it put me down after it was supposedly fixed twice on the freeway last year when I was 8 months pregnant, I have had the greatest time with this vehicle, unfortunately there was no warranty available when i purchased the vehicle, i would like my money back

Acknowledge the faults
By VI Rover on 12/27/09 09:55 AM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Eight months after getting my dream car I experienced transmision prolbems, got it fixed and now 5 year later I need a new transmission again. I have had to replace all the door/window acturators and issues with the brakes. I love the car, its fun when it works well. The A/C doesn't cool the entire car properly. LANDROVER acknowledge the faults and give remedy to the owners.

Worst vehicle
By Keri on 07/09/09 17:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is by far the worst vehicle I ever owned. Landrover makes it next to impossible to have other shops do work on the vehicle. The price of their timing belt replacement on the freelander is $2000, this is insane. Four people in my family have owned landrover's and realized it was a terrible vehicle and some have gotten rid of them and other's are trying to get rid of them. Take my advice, and never, never buy landrover products. I don't know how their still in business

Disaster on wheels
By Never Again on 05/30/09 08:36 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the 2002 Freelander S several years ago. Within the first year I spent over $5,600 in electrical, engine, and exhaust parts - that doesn't include labor costs. The rear door window and wiper broke ($500), front passenger lock malfunctioned ($300), my entire dash had to be replaced because the coolant system was spilling fluid into the dash ($2800), and the exhaust system went ($2000). The Freelander depreciates in value by $2500-3000 per year. Highway and city mileage is dismal. Blue book value is only $6,000 right now. I cannot wait to get rid of this vehicle. I cannot emphasize enough what a horrible decision is was purchasing the Freelander.

on my 3rd engine
By Lisa on 02/28/09 13:22 PM (PST)

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am now on my 3rd engine it this vehicle, and I only have 60,000 miles on this car. Land Rover is offering me 50% off the engine. It's not drivable... please get these cars off the road as they are seizing up on people while driving.

Not A Good Purchase
By gmielke on 07/24/08 19:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car got "great" reviews by the auto magazines when I was looking to buy this car in 2002. We have had the transmission blow, which apparently Land Rover knew they should have recalled but sat silent and did nothing, then we had the brakes and air conditioning blow several times, then finally, the engine blows as I am driving it to get its annual service! We are now told that because the Freelander is no longer in production, the engine will be 'very difficult' to find and may take a month or so to locate... then Land Rover tells us that they will not pay for a new engine but will give us a $4500 "credit" towards buying a new Land Rover! Unbelievable.

Finally paid for & it died!
By Mary on 05/15/08 06:33 AM (PDT)

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Three weeks after we bought it NEW - it blew a head gasket. Dealer of course fixed it but it never had the initial power quality again. Then the many recalls -overheating - then the hill descent started coming on at inappropriate times - dealer could not find anything wrong - dash lights flashing - tires wearing out much too quickly/noisy. Finally paid it off & at 75,000 miles the transmission goes. Anyone needs parts?? Oh thats right - there aren't any worth selling!!!