2004 Land Rover Discovery Consumer Review: What's all the fuss?

2004 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Review

SE 4dr SUV (4.6L V8 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

What's all the fuss?
By markrayburn on

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned a few Discos and have loved them all. There may be some troubling anomalies out there but I've not found one. Regular maintenance seems to be the key element, and catching anything suspect early on. My 2004 SE has 202k miles and is clean as can be. Fixed early signs of lifter noise right away (at 100k) by doing an oil cleaning flush and new Castrol. Been silent since. I replaced a right CV joint on my '96 SE7 (my favorite because they were still putting 5-speed manuals in them). It drove my family for 265k until I was forced off the road one day at 65mph and rolled 6 times. I could still open all 5 doors. Landed on its wheel. Amazing. Had two others. Loved 'em all.

My 2004 SE with 210k seems to do everything well. Lots of headroom--I'm 6' 2". Lots of off-road. Handled Moab, UT trails with ease. Chicken Corners. Poison Spider--fun. Favorite features are turning radius and width of vehicle. North Rim Grand Canyon west on 4WD roads 65 mi. (need permit) Part of Kaibab National Forest. Lots of narrow tight turns on side canyons and forested areas turning around tight tree clearances. Dry camped for 12 days and only saw one other vehicle--a white Defender 90 with a diesel 4-banger and RH drive.

Even with all the traction and hill decent goodies (which make it really easy) I'd like to see the manual transmission brought back. LR still puts the brake and accelerator in the correct proximity to make clutching with the left foot while braking and minding the accelerator with the right quite easy. It just seemed a little "purer" (in my '96 SE7 5-speed) having to think about climbing the steeps with both feet, both hands, and your brain.