2004 Land Rover Discovery Consumer Review: Disco SE7

2004 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Review

SE 4dr SUV (4.6L V8 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

Disco SE7
By ckadventure on

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I am not sure what the negative fuss is about in relation to Land Rover products. My wife & I purchased an '04 LR Discovery SE7 for the purpose of a daily driver that will seat 3 children comfortably, yet is capable of handling serious off road conditions-as we are very outdoor oriented. We made the correct choice! Yes it is an expensive vehicle to both purchase & to maintaine; however, if you DO maintaine the vehicle properly (just as you should any vehicle) you should be issue free. We have never been left stranded, nor have we had any catostofic failures. My Disco is fast approaching 100K miles & I intend to put that many more miles on it. Amazing offroad & equally amazing on the Hwy.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling is second to non. Ride quality on road is very deceptive for a vehicle that is as off road capable as the Discovery. It is smooth & handles very well. Interior is unique & leather quality is high. Great seating position & large windows give great view around you. When Safari rack is added, you can carry everything you need on deep wood adventures.

Suggested Improvements

With the large roof rack, a lot of wind noise is present. I do not recall if it was so noisy without safari rack. It is a British vehicle, so parts of the interior seem very quirky & not as well made as say our Infiniti SUV. If you intend to go trail riding & do water crossings I would suggest a 2"-3" suspension lift, as with any off road vehicle. Dealerships charge way to much for parts & repairs, so find a good mechanic if you do not enjoy maintaining yourself. Parts are cheap online. Electrical issues can be expected, but once repaired all is well.