Used 2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

NOT QUITE SURE?
By TL

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I come have had 2 Porsches, 5 BMW's previous to the Disco. I have always admired its unique design, quite eclectic, old world British design that has refused to give into recent silly modern morphisms. The interior design is also very luxurious and utilitarian, dual sunroofs, bun warmers, powered everything.. I find the Disco sluggish, have to keep it in Sport Mode most of the time, which further impairs the already embarassing gas mileage. I have found Land Rover to be second rate as far as service (compared to BMW and Porsche), they do not extend "Range Rover" courtesy and customer service to Disco owners.

Dual Sun Roof, quick heating (bun warmer and auto heat, seating for 7, unique British old world design.

Land Rover needs to extend customer service on the level of other luxury car makers, such as BMW/Porsche. I have had one major repair, and LR attempted to weasel out of the factory warranty, I would expect this from domestic car makers (Yes, Ford). I am contemplating selling on this issue alone.

One year review
By atownrox

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I wanted to wait a full year and put some miles (18k) on this vehicle before rating it. I'd definitely buy the Rover again. Looked at the ML, Toureg, Cayenne, and Rover. The Porsche was excellent but priced itself out for me. The VW was a close second but was still $5K or so more than a similarly equipped Rover. Dealer service is fantastic and has a fleet of Disco loaners. We'll see what happens but it's all good now.

Excellent highway cruiser for longer roadtrips (uh, except when you need to fillup), good stiff seats, nice stereo, excellent cargo capacity, and dual sunroofs. And I find the Disco visually appealing and structurally very solid.

Moot as the vehicle is no longer produced.

A truck for all seasons!
By NavalEagle

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have taken this truck to the Holister offroad park, and this beast performed fantastically. I have enjoyed every day in this truck, and could never part with it. This thing gets down and dirty, and cleans up very nicely. Those who have never owned a Land Rover, will never quite understand the true charm of these modern day road warriors.

Off road ability Dominating stance

More front seat legroom Better location for ignition

Serpentine Belt replaced 6x in 1st 6 mos
By unhappy at the disco

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone. I have had to take it to the dealer for servicing 8 times in less than 8 months. Six times to replace the serpentine belt and the other two times because the check engine light was on. Can you imagine what this piece of junk will require when it's a couple of years old?

I like the color - it's the only thing I can recommend at this point.

Do you want toy, or a real SUV?
By RyanB

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This my first SUV. I've had a truck in the past, too big and combersome. I had a Mercedes sports car, too small and didn't do well in bad weather. I got spoiled with "luxury" items and didn't want to give it up. I wanted something that was "higher end" but could live up to being an SUV. I bought an 04' Disco and I got just what I wanted. Unlike other SUV's, you can take this one anywhere and not worry about "hurting it". As tough as it is on the outside, it still has luxury inside. The standard features on the Disco would all be options on any other SUV for the most part. So do you want something that is a real SUV, or an oversized car that claims to be one. Land Rover is the ticket

Body styling, nothing like it. Doesn't look like anything else. Color options, again nothing like them. 18 inch standard wheels and a V8. Dual moon roofs and the cold climate package is awesome for those who deal with cold weather six months a year. You are very warm when it's 0 degrees outside

A little more off the line power. Add running boards to make it more accessable to shorter people and children. A little more leg room would be nice. Definitely put a little more space between the gas and the brake. Every once in awhile I might touch both of them.