Used 2004 Land Rover Discovery Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

It's a car you will hate to love
By Bryce

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is my second Land Rover Discovery. My first was a 2000. It caught on fire on the freeway. What else do I need to say about that. I was stupid and bought a 2004 model in May 2008. Okay I know it's now 4 years old now, but it's only got 46,000 miles which I thought was pretty good. I can't drive it without lights turning on every second and a dinging noise going off all day. Driving it will remind you of Vegas. My check engine light won't go off because of the gas cap either. It's funny how they use Land Rovers in Jamaica for off road safari's from 1985 but my 2004 can't make it to the store. If you are thinking about a Land Rover just don't do it. Go buy an Acura.

Outside looks will turn heads from everyone. Nice ride (when it's running). That's about it.

Doesn't matter they don't make it anymore. But pretty much everything.

2004 Land Rover Discovery
By DickB.

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We thought we had purchased a very will built car. Front brakes went in less than 35,000 miles. Rotors cost $130 each. Brake job just for front was $650. 56k miles, 6k after warranty ended dealer told us head gaskets leaking, $2500 to fix. Head gasket leaks means poor seal at factory or poor design. Rubber guards on front headlights, tail light etc, broke off, dealer fixed for free. Quality poor from factory Cannot trade in, as gas mileage is about 14. Car insurance very high. Value of car went from $34k to $11k in 4 years, cost to us $5700/yr deprecation.

Off road handles very well

Land Rover needs to build quality into cars.

Still Lovin it!
By Geoff

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Use is as a daily driver here in New England. Exterior is beautiful and interior appointments are plush save for the electronics which were outdated even when new. It's more like a luxury all weather vehicle but still sturdy when you need it most. Always turns heads and you feel great driving it.

Captain chairs and steering wheel are superbly comfortable.

No Value For The Price
By Never Again!

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I will never buy another Land Rover product again. At 57,000 miles I had to have the engine replaced (past warranty but got it "comped" by the dealership, thankfully!). Now at 58,000 miles I have an O2 sensor that is out and an ABS problem AGAIN! The ABS problem has been looked at 3 other times. Additionally, it has had new brakes at 40,000 miles that now continually squeak. The fold out seats in the back continually squeak and the gas tank door has broken at least 5 times. Now the CD player is broken and we have had to replace the front left headlight (which seems to be a recurring problem with a lot of the reviews I have read. It will be someone else's problem after this weekend!

The body style.

I would invest heavily in design engineers to fix the glaring design and function issues of the Land Rover brand. Gas mileage is horrible and in today's world I don't see how that can be ignored by Land Rover.

Horrible Choice
By Ramez

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is a horrible SUV to own. Stay away from it unless you are a wife who wants revenge on a cheating husband. There are plenty of better choices out there. Bad quality, uncomfortable interior, low gas mileage, sluggish starts from full stop and lots and lots of leaks!!

Off-road capability.

Get rid of Discovery or end in Tata's hands.