Used 2004 Land Rover Discovery Consumer Reviews - 116 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

2004 Land Rover Discovery

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

Sorry, but no Cigar!
By mmr1

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I'm the original owner of a 04 Disco and it's been a living nightmare. It's had excessive oil/antifreeze leaks, consumption, blown head gaskets, axle replacement, worn cam lobes/lifters among many other things and now the infamous "slipped cylinder sleeve" rendering the block useless! All this at only 100k miles on a car which has been fully maintained, never over heated and has had the oil changed every 3-5k miles. Sorry, but complete engine failure at 100k miles is just unacceptable! Other Auto Mfg's. today hold a minimum durability requirement of 150k miles and have far exceeded this on vehicles costing half what this one did. So no cigar LR, I'll spend my money elsewhere!

What's all the fuss?
By markrayburn

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned a few Discos and have loved them all. There may be some troubling anomalies out there but I've not found one. Regular maintenance seems to be the key element, and catching anything suspect early on. My 2004 SE has 202k miles and is clean as can be. Fixed early signs of lifter noise right away (at 100k) by doing an oil cleaning flush and new Castrol. Been silent since. I replaced a right CV joint on my '96 SE7 (my favorite because they were still putting 5-speed manuals in them). It drove my family for 265k until I was forced off the road one day at 65mph and rolled 6 times. I could still open all 5 doors. Landed on its wheel. Amazing. Had two others. Loved 'em all.

My 2004 SE with 210k seems to do everything well. Lots of headroom--I'm 6' 2". Lots of off-road. Handled Moab, UT trails with ease. Chicken Corners. Poison Spider--fun. Favorite features are turning radius and width of vehicle. North Rim Grand Canyon west on 4WD roads 65 mi. (need permit) Part of Kaibab National Forest. Lots of narrow tight turns on side canyons and forested areas turning around tight tree clearances. Dry camped for 12 days and only saw one other vehicle--a white Defender 90 with a diesel 4-banger and RH drive.

Even with all the traction and hill decent goodies (which make it really easy) I'd like to see the manual transmission brought back. LR still puts the brake and accelerator in the correct proximity to make clutching with the left foot while braking and minding the accelerator with the right quite easy. It just seemed a little "purer" (in my '96 SE7 5-speed) having to think about climbing the steeps with both feet, both hands, and your brain.

A truly special car!!
By twisties4me

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Great Car!! Most misunderstood car out there. If you're not into having maintenance done then buy one of those look alike disposable cars, do not buy a Landrover. Excellent on-road or off. In 115k miles I certainly have not had any of the nightmarish leaks and electrical problems that I'm reading about, but then, I've owned it since new and maintain it, with much affection I might add. I've never ceased to be amazed with the quality of the switch gear etc. which we have BMW to thank for. The car is as solid as a rock! Stangely enough, for such a tall ride, it also handles rather nicely too. I love my Landy!

Solid build, command seating with outstanding visibility, decent engine that is built to withstand high waters, confidence inspiring when the roads are flooded or simply wet, goes anywhere, awesome rugged looks inside and out kind of like a swiss army knife. All my friends want my car and even strangers at gas stations etc.

There's a reason why some dealerships are called stealerships. The assesment is made based on the utter incompetence and downright dishonesty of the Landrover dealers in South Florida. They couldn't care less about customers as far as maintenance is concerned. Exterior trim clips do have a tendency to break. I suspect it is partly to do with car washes that use pressure washers. Yes, it is a gas guzzler.

Disco SE7
By ckadventure

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I am not sure what the negative fuss is about in relation to Land Rover products. My wife & I purchased an '04 LR Discovery SE7 for the purpose of a daily driver that will seat 3 children comfortably, yet is capable of handling serious off road conditions-as we are very outdoor oriented. We made the correct choice! Yes it is an expensive vehicle to both purchase & to maintaine; however, if you DO maintaine the vehicle properly (just as you should any vehicle) you should be issue free. We have never been left stranded, nor have we had any catostofic failures. My Disco is fast approaching 100K miles & I intend to put that many more miles on it. Amazing offroad & equally amazing on the Hwy.

Exterior styling is second to non. Ride quality on road is very deceptive for a vehicle that is as off road capable as the Discovery. It is smooth & handles very well. Interior is unique & leather quality is high. Great seating position & large windows give great view around you. When Safari rack is added, you can carry everything you need on deep wood adventures.

With the large roof rack, a lot of wind noise is present. I do not recall if it was so noisy without safari rack. It is a British vehicle, so parts of the interior seem very quirky & not as well made as say our Infiniti SUV. If you intend to go trail riding & do water crossings I would suggest a 2"-3" suspension lift, as with any off road vehicle. Dealerships charge way to much for parts & repairs, so find a good mechanic if you do not enjoy maintaining yourself. Parts are cheap online. Electrical issues can be expected, but once repaired all is well.

worst car ever
By sw47

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

this car has been a disaster from day 1. new, it began with water leaks, and electrical malfunctions. LR once offered to take it back, and i was foolish not to take them up on it. problems continued with electrical malfunctions, rear wiper failures x2, jack failure, window insulation failure, and the big one ABS modulator failure, an approx. $3000 repair. oh and also ignition key breakage in the lock. (never happened before). this truck still has less than 70k miles. Despite appeals to LR they will not stand behind their product. (there was an ABS modulator recall for some models)
best advice, stay away!

none

how about some quality construction, and taking responsibility for for what they sell