2004 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
Land Rover is bad
By sw on 05/03/10 11:56 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Terrible electrical and water leaks from inception. Poor construction and quality. Poor gas mileage. Failure of abs module which lr will not make good on. No redeeming features

Every day Tank
By Warwick Dales on 04/24/10 00:47 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Discovery HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle is only comparable to a Sherman Tank when looking at its off road capability.Been very impressed at what its got me through and out of.To be honest most of the places i thought only mad or insane people would get through,i've saunted through with this vehicle.Fuel consumption is the only hindrance,otherwise good to look at and my wife looks hot in it!

Worst SUV ever
By made1024 on 04/14/10 12:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this car 4/04 zero miles, have never used the 4x4 (I live in Miami), have only driven it @ 8000 miles/year. The engine has leaks EVERYWHERE, the car is now 6 years old on the dot and just hit the 50k miles. The cost of repair is $7k! Driver window and passenger windows both stopped working had those repaired under warranty. Horn switch on the steering wheel continuously pops out, took the car in 3 times for that and still happening. Terrible car, terrible dealer service and Land Rover Headquarters is just as bad. No calls returned, been waiting for one week now. Buy a Jeep you'll get a better car and lots more fun to drive!

Nothing like a Rover
By nicedream on 03/10/10 19:00 PM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought used with 40k on it, put over 60k more on it in 3.5 years. A joy to drive, with an unmatched view of the road and surroundings. Can tackle any conditions, been through over a foot of fresh unploughed snow like it's nothing. Reliability for first couple years was outstanding with only routine maintenance needed, other than minor electronics issues. Around 80k miles started with frequent cooling system issues, culminating in needing head gaskets replaced, a very common issue in the Disco in the 60-100k mile range. It's a $3,000 repair, so beware. Some exterior body panels have deteriorated. Overall, a great truck, but expensive to own.

Don't buy 2004 DISCO
By AJ on 03/07/10 06:55 AM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I had always admired Land Rovers and had saved enough money to buy a used '04 Discovery last summer for my new wife thinking it would be a safe, cool, and reliable vehicle for our family for many years to come. It only had 44,000 miles on it and the Coil pack went out:$750. Then needed new plugs and wires because they were damaged too:$300. At 48,000 miles the Cruise Control went out:$500. The downhill assist feature never worked, but I did not have an extra $1000 to fix that. Then at 55,000 miles the Oil pump went out:$2300. I had taken all the Land Rover hits I could handle, and traded it in. Land Rover should recall many features on this model due to an abundance of lemon-like problems.

A killer,last of the BMW Rovers!
By Velocity on 02/23/10 20:30 PM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Discovery HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Excellent in the snow, sand (on Lake Michigan beaches) and rain. Poor gas mileage, but what are you expecting of a SUV that can pull a 2 ton sailboat, a 4 ton sailboat a short haul and jet two kids plus gear around town. Traded my first 2001 Disco SE7 for the 2004 HSE7 (4.6l v8) and it was a great trade! The LR3 is a DOG! Looks and feels and drives CHEAP! Buy a USED DISCOVERY II or II.5! By the way, the replacement parts are much cheaper too from your local import mechanic!

Best 4X4, not another SUV
By charlypm on 02/23/10 19:39 PM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd Disco, the first which we still own was purchased in 1996. This is quite different from the 96 in that it has more comfort features, tighter turning radius, and more aggressive look. I've had almost zero problems with it after buying it used with 25000 miles and now having over 70000 miles. If I had a complaint it could only be the fuel mileage and it would be a minor complaint. The rig tows my trailer with no problem, hauls up hills easily and I never realized how stout this rig is until I borrowed a friends Dodge pick up. The Disco is every bit as heavy duty as the pick up ans actually handles the trailer much better. If I located another with lower mileage I'd buy it.

me and my Discovery (love it hate it)
By Ken on 02/19/10 11:13 AM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Discovery HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Always wanted a Land Rover I have admired them since forever. My land Rover is love/hate relationship. The thing can't go more than 6 months without need for a trip to the dealer, most of the time it is for something minor. My rover loves to gulp gas even on highway trip if I'm lucky I might get 14 mpg (avg speed 66 mph). Ergonomics poor, off road performance way better than great. Snow, mud, water no problem. I purchased it with the older style nav system, which after the $700.00 cost Land Rover decided not to make map upgrade DVD disks for up dating. Great they have rendered the system useless as for up to the date maps and such, thanks Land Rover.

Bring out Disco Anniversary Edition!
By JAF on 02/16/10 08:27 AM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Love my '04 disco but know when looking into getting one you are also purchasing an on-going expense to maintain. The ride is great, the power is great and looks by far is the best thing about this truck! My hopes are that Land Rover comes to its senses and creates the Disco Anniversary addition...same body style with some of the great features of the LR3 / LR4. Will never get rid of my current Disco though...LOVE IT!

Looks Good but a real Brit Junker
By swamp on 06/30/09 15:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my Diccovery in 2006. It had 20k miles on it. I had to replace all of the rotors and pads at the same time around 50k miles and they are not cheap cause you cant just replace the pads, must replace pads AND rotors. It overheated in Atlanta (it has 80K miles now) dealer tells me I have to replace head gaskets ($2800), Mass airflow sensors ($600), Thermostat ($470) .. and my window wont roll down anymore so i need a window regulator ($435) DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE CARS YOU WILL REGRET IT FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. YES THEY LOOK GREAT BUT THEY ARE GARBAGE ON THE INSIDE.