Used 2004 Land Rover Discovery Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

Disco SE7
By ckadventure

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I am not sure what the negative fuss is about in relation to Land Rover products. My wife & I purchased an '04 LR Discovery SE7 for the purpose of a daily driver that will seat 3 children comfortably, yet is capable of handling serious off road conditions-as we are very outdoor oriented. We made the correct choice! Yes it is an expensive vehicle to both purchase & to maintaine; however, if you DO maintaine the vehicle properly (just as you should any vehicle) you should be issue free. We have never been left stranded, nor have we had any catostofic failures. My Disco is fast approaching 100K miles & I intend to put that many more miles on it. Amazing offroad & equally amazing on the Hwy.

Exterior styling is second to non. Ride quality on road is very deceptive for a vehicle that is as off road capable as the Discovery. It is smooth & handles very well. Interior is unique & leather quality is high. Great seating position & large windows give great view around you. When Safari rack is added, you can carry everything you need on deep wood adventures.

With the large roof rack, a lot of wind noise is present. I do not recall if it was so noisy without safari rack. It is a British vehicle, so parts of the interior seem very quirky & not as well made as say our Infiniti SUV. If you intend to go trail riding & do water crossings I would suggest a 2"-3" suspension lift, as with any off road vehicle. Dealerships charge way to much for parts & repairs, so find a good mechanic if you do not enjoy maintaining yourself. Parts are cheap online. Electrical issues can be expected, but once repaired all is well.

worst car ever
By sw47

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

this car has been a disaster from day 1. new, it began with water leaks, and electrical malfunctions. LR once offered to take it back, and i was foolish not to take them up on it. problems continued with electrical malfunctions, rear wiper failures x2, jack failure, window insulation failure, and the big one ABS modulator failure, an approx. $3000 repair. oh and also ignition key breakage in the lock. (never happened before). this truck still has less than 70k miles. Despite appeals to LR they will not stand behind their product. (there was an ABS modulator recall for some models) best advice, stay away!

none

how about some quality construction, and taking responsibility for for what they sell

Sad!
By alicia75024

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have been reading blogs all over the Internet about Land Rover problems and I could just spit! I purchased my 2004 LRD 10 days ago... I don't drive much, just back and forth to work. A couple days ago I was driving and the car overheated, I pulled off the freeway right away and while pulling over the car started to smoke and shut down... now I need to spend 6K on a new engine, the mechanic at LR chuckeled and said "yep, we see it ALL the time". What a waiste of time and money.. If this is such a common problem shouldn't there have been a recall??? Also, anyone know a good and honest mechanic in north Texas...or should I just part it out and cut my losses? It sounds like this won't be the last problem with this vehicle!!!!

My dream car
By weslowery

2004 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Im a 17 year old and I have always wanted a Land Rover. I got one at 85,000 miles and by 90,000 we were begging for someone to take it. I loved it but it was way to expensive to fix. First was the front differential at a costly 2,000 and a window regulator 675.00 and then secondairy air pump 500.000 and last but not least the ABS modulator and front right hub. Land Rover was asking 4800 to fix that. We said forget it and sold it for dirt dirt dirt cheap but were just happy to get rid of it. It was junk!!

Seats were firm but nice. Off road or in about a foot of snow it can perform probably better than most anything out there.

Reliability and cheaper parts.

2004 Dicosvery 2 trial w/155k miles
By VampyreKing

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We just sold our 2001 discovery 2 with 200k miles and got this 04 with 155k miles last week. We love them and if you take good care of the car and do a little research on the web you can find all the parts that you need and a great mechanic will keep you within budget. The love and hate relationship is true but if you are looking for a vehicle that will keep you safe, goes anywhere and has great presence this is the car for you. I don't have allot of money but if you treat your rover well and have a mechanic you can trust you will be able to afford one. P.S. I got my 01 with 139k miles and spend about 5k during 4 years of ownership

I love everything about it but the clean style and the timeless looks are my favorite