2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
Style and Substance meet in the Disco
By druidess on 08/20/14 06:08 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I am the original owner of my beloved 2004 Disco 2, which has logged more than 220,000 miles, many of them hard ones in Maine winters. I love this car so much that I put in a new motor at 180,000 miles, but sadly just learned that the undercarriage has rust. The plan was to get a new Jeep for me when my daughter got her driver's license, but she's getting the new Jeep and I am keeping my Disco for as long as we can keep the rust at bay. Although in very inclement weather she will be driving the Disco. Some time ago a massive Ford truck slammed into the side grate of my Disco destroying his whole front end, while Disco sustained a slight smudge. Looking for a replacement when this one goes.

Sorry, but no Cigar!
By mmr1 on 07/25/13 14:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I'm the original owner of a 04 Disco and it's been a living nightmare. It's had excessive oil/antifreeze leaks, consumption, blown head gaskets, axle replacement, worn cam lobes/lifters among many other things and now the infamous "slipped cylinder sleeve" rendering the block useless! All this at only 100k miles on a car which has been fully maintained, never over heated and has had the oil changed every 3-5k miles. Sorry, but complete engine failure at 100k miles is just unacceptable! Other Auto Mfg's. today hold a minimum durability requirement of 150k miles and have far exceeded this on vehicles costing half what this one did. So no cigar LR, I'll spend my money elsewhere!

What's all the fuss?
By markrayburn on 06/01/13 14:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned a few Discos and have loved them all. There may be some troubling anomalies out there but I've not found one. Regular maintenance seems to be the key element, and catching anything suspect early on. My 2004 SE has 202k miles and is clean as can be. Fixed early signs of lifter noise right away (at 100k) by doing an oil cleaning flush and new Castrol. Been silent since. I replaced a right CV joint on my '96 SE7 (my favorite because they were still putting 5-speed manuals in them). It drove my family for 265k until I was forced off the road one day at 65mph and rolled 6 times. I could still open all 5 doors. Landed on its wheel. Amazing. Had two others. Loved 'em all.

A truly special car!!
By twisties4me on 04/30/13 14:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Great Car!! Most misunderstood car out there. If you're not into having maintenance done then buy one of those look alike disposable cars, do not buy a Landrover. Excellent on-road or off. In 115k miles I certainly have not had any of the nightmarish leaks and electrical problems that I'm reading about, but then, I've owned it since new and maintain it, with much affection I might add. I've never ceased to be amazed with the quality of the switch gear etc. which we have BMW to thank for. The car is as solid as a rock! Stangely enough, for such a tall ride, it also handles rather nicely too. I love my Landy!

Disco SE7
By ckadventure on 09/18/12 11:01 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I am not sure what the negative fuss is about in relation to Land Rover products. My wife & I purchased an '04 LR Discovery SE7 for the purpose of a daily driver that will seat 3 children comfortably, yet is capable of handling serious off road conditions-as we are very outdoor oriented. We made the correct choice! Yes it is an expensive vehicle to both purchase & to maintaine; however, if you DO maintaine the vehicle properly (just as you should any vehicle) you should be issue free. We have never been left stranded, nor have we had any catostofic failures. My Disco is fast approaching 100K miles & I intend to put that many more miles on it. Amazing offroad & equally amazing on the Hwy.

worst car ever
By sw47 on 03/02/12 08:54 AM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

this car has been a disaster from day 1. new, it began with water leaks, and electrical malfunctions. LR once offered to take it back, and i was foolish not to take them up on it. problems continued with electrical malfunctions, rear wiper failures x2, jack failure, window insulation failure, and the big one ABS modulator failure, an approx. $3000 repair. oh and also ignition key breakage in the lock. (never happened before). this truck still has less than 70k miles. Despite appeals to LR they will not stand behind their product. (there was an ABS modulator recall for some models) best advice, stay away!

Sad!
By alicia75024 on 01/20/12 17:23 PM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have been reading blogs all over the Internet about Land Rover problems and I could just spit! I purchased my 2004 LRD 10 days ago... I don't drive much, just back and forth to work. A couple days ago I was driving and the car overheated, I pulled off the freeway right away and while pulling over the car started to smoke and shut down... now I need to spend 6K on a new engine, the mechanic at LR chuckeled and said "yep, we see it ALL the time". What a waiste of time and money.. If this is such a common problem shouldn't there have been a recall??? Also, anyone know a good and honest mechanic in north Texas...or should I just part it out and cut my losses? It sounds like this won't be the last problem with this vehicle!!!!

2004 Dicosvery 2 trial w/155k miles
By VampyreKing on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We just sold our 2001 discovery 2 with 200k miles and got this 04 with 155k miles last week. We love them and if you take good care of the car and do a little research on the web you can find all the parts that you need and a great mechanic will keep you within budget. The love and hate relationship is true but if you are looking for a vehicle that will keep you safe, goes anywhere and has great presence this is the car for you. I don't have allot of money but if you treat your rover well and have a mechanic you can trust you will be able to afford one. P.S. I got my 01 with 139k miles and spend about 5k during 4 years of ownership

Best of the Last
By DevilDisco on 05/04/10 10:16 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have had our Black on Black SE7 For almost 5 years, quickly approaching 110k miles. The vehicles performed flawlessly just before Christmas when the snow storm hit Virginia. Most vehicles were fighting for traction on I-95, locked the Diff and the only thing that slowed us down was traffic and caution. The snow came down so sudden the roads had not been plowed. My wife was even driving at that time. She hates driving in snow but in the Disco she was very comfortable, as were our two little ones. Get it for capability and never having to get stuck snow storms and foul weather. Love it for the looks, and fill your tank when she is thirsty. Do the preventative Maintenance it's cheaper.

Land Rover is bad
By sw on 05/03/10 11:56 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Terrible electrical and water leaks from inception. Poor construction and quality. Poor gas mileage. Failure of abs module which lr will not make good on. No redeeming features