2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
Every day Tank
By Warwick Dales on 04/24/10 00:47 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle is only comparable to a Sherman Tank when looking at its off road capability.Been very impressed at what its got me through and out of.To be honest most of the places i thought only mad or insane people would get through,i've saunted through with this vehicle.Fuel consumption is the only hindrance,otherwise good to look at and my wife looks hot in it!

A killer,last of the BMW Rovers!
By Velocity on 02/23/10 20:30 PM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Excellent in the snow, sand (on Lake Michigan beaches) and rain. Poor gas mileage, but what are you expecting of a SUV that can pull a 2 ton sailboat, a 4 ton sailboat a short haul and jet two kids plus gear around town. Traded my first 2001 Disco SE7 for the 2004 HSE7 (4.6l v8) and it was a great trade! The LR3 is a DOG! Looks and feels and drives CHEAP! Buy a USED DISCOVERY II or II.5! By the way, the replacement parts are much cheaper too from your local import mechanic!

me and my Discovery (love it hate it)
By Ken on 02/19/10 11:13 AM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Always wanted a Land Rover I have admired them since forever. My land Rover is love/hate relationship. The thing can't go more than 6 months without need for a trip to the dealer, most of the time it is for something minor. My rover loves to gulp gas even on highway trip if I'm lucky I might get 14 mpg (avg speed 66 mph). Ergonomics poor, off road performance way better than great. Snow, mud, water no problem. I purchased it with the older style nav system, which after the $700.00 cost Land Rover decided not to make map upgrade DVD disks for up dating. Great they have rendered the system useless as for up to the date maps and such, thanks Land Rover.

'04 LR Disco in CA
By '04 LR Disco in CA on 06/22/06 00:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

3rd eye tail light out after first 3 mos. Windshield washer pump didn't work from the beginning & has already been replaced with pump that works occasionally. Upper corners of front windshield leaked from beginning & has stained the headliner - now trying to get replaced. Also have problems with the front passenger compartment being soaked. Told it is a common occurrence with LRs so will need to get it drained (odd for it to be common on a $40k+ auto). Brake pads & rotors have already needed replacement and is costly (& not covered under warranty). Left front headlight has also gone out. Luckily, all these problems (minus brakes) are covered under 50k warranty

disco in alaska
By leebulliii on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This was my second Land Rover Discovery and I loved it. Never had any major problems with it and the service at the dealership was always great.

Best SUV ever Owned
By Love My Rover on 09/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is my second Land Rover, and I love it. Amazing build quality compared even to Lexus. Only problem was a squeaky seat that dealer repaired. Navigation system is great. Air ride is great. Disagree with Edmund's snob appeal opinion, when compared to H2/Tahoe/Denali comparably equiped the Disco is a better buy with better resale and by far better dealer service. Dealer provides free loaner and free pickup/delivery for service (at over 90 mi each way .. AWESOME!) Mileage is same as Tahoe I've driven and far better than an Escalade I drove. I'd buy another, but doubt if this one will wear out soon.

Great So Far!
By Billbo on 08/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Great to drive, you've got "vehicle" around you. Can see the whole road around and in front, others want to get around to know what is actually going on in front of us. Fuel economy lacking, but if that's what you want, it's simple... Look Elsewhere! Customer service at my dealer is outstanding, "Pampered yet Professional". So far I've gotten what I've paid for. Will see this winter and following my first Land Rover Dealer Sponsored "Wheels event" where they help you to fully understand and appreciate the abilities of this true off-road vehicle.

its terrific!
By gbstage on 06/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

its fun,elegant, reliable and feels like it could climb the side of a building with no effort. zero problems, built like a tank, great vision, two sun roofs with screens and a proper english speaking navigation system. only minus is premium gas and poor mileage.

gus
By kosta on 05/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

very fun to drive and safe

Kings of the Road (and off)!
By LRlover on 05/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I just moved to the states a few years ago from Kloof, South Africa, where Land Rovers are prevalent. I owned a 1990 discovery TD5 that took me all over the country. Even though I miss having a diesel, there was no other car I would have purchased! This brand is special, unique, and built for one purpose: being the best SUV on the planet! And believe me, these vehicles can go anywhere--trust me, I have!