Used 2004 Land Rover Discovery S SUV Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV - Consumer Reviews

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

Best...and...Worst Vehicle You Could Ever Own
By Rover Rover

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This Land Rover will run forever...as long as you keep fixing it. First off if you can't work on your own (and I mean not just small stuff but in depth engine work) or can't afford to pay for frequent repair don't drive one. You may fall in love with it as I did. The ride (heavy vehicle which lets it ride smooth with a little roll), the 4wd (works great in slick mud/snow as long as sensors are working), the comfort (great interior), stereo, and just general coolness of the vehicle (even though it's kind of ugly in it's own way) will make you love it after driving it. Take your time looking for one that has been well taken care of inside and out with records and has head gasket issues....yes this way you will get a good deal...you can do the repairs yourself fairly cheap. Biggest problem is if it is leaking around the sleeve which is a $4k - $6k fix. The vehicle drives and handles great no issues with braking as others speak of...even at 5,300 lbs it will stop on a dime. Corners great with no tip over or feel of it as I've heard others mention. Back doors do seem a bit small for getting in and out of so keep this in mind. Only complaint I really have is the clock...why would anyone put a clock over by the passenger seat. But even with all that said I love it and will keep it...but again I can work on it and have a backup vehicle....Good Luck

Love Hate Relationship
By dave

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I just sold my 04 D2 and purchased a Toyota FJ with 1800 miles. My wife has been after me for three years to get a newer vehicle. My Disco has been my most favorite vehicle of all the 30plus I have owned. I am an avid ourdoorsman yet wear a suit and tie for a living. It has been in terrain most never think of going. I put a 2" lift with upsized more aggressive tires on it as well as a winch. It is one of the most capable vehicles offroad and a dream to drive on road. The hate part - at 67,000 mi the oil pump exploded. At 77,000 the rear main seal leaked like a fountian, the head gasket and a few other seals were leaking. Two door actuators, window crank and front hub went all before 100,000. I had a mechanic friend tear the engine down and put new seals in it throughout. When he went online looking for some information about Land Rovers he said he never saw such lengthy blogs about leaking oil issues like any other car he researched. I ran synthetic oil since 30,000 - changed the oil in the engine, trans, transfer case and diffs religiously. If not for the crappy quality of some parts and cheap engine seals this is an awesome vehicle. Land Rover has the reputation of oil leakers and garbage electronics. I bought it new so every mile was mine (110,000 when sold), and I am anal about maintenance but even good maintenance cannot help faulty materials. Once all the issues were fixed I had no more problems. I almost cried when I sold it as it has taken me to some great places. I also own a 1960 Land Rover Series 2. Purchase a another brand new one - never.

Testament to its toughness
By msn619

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

As we all know right now the mid west and east cost are on blizzard watch and accidents are all over the city and I was not exception, I was on a stop light waiting to turn left when a sliding car hit me head on maybe around 20mph, I was ok thankfully my 2 yrs old was not with me. His passat was wreaked and my 00 discovery II was badly damaged but no oil or coolant leak, I was able to drive home 10 miles after all that. For 8yrs my discovery II never left me stranded, as long as I keep up with maintenance, she was good to me.

My wife's favorite features is its air ride suspension, dual sun roof, my favorite feature was its AWD and rugged look. Today I pass by a land rover dealer I was thinking getting a LR4 but sadly it looks to suburban to me, I feel like its to soft.

I hope LR can redesign a more rugged less plastic exterior, i feel like people who wants a softer SUV should look at lexus RX and for people who wants a hard core suv should look at LR.

My dream car
By weslowery

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Im a 17 year old and I have always wanted a Land Rover. I got one at 85,000 miles and by 90,000 we were begging for someone to take it. I loved it but it was way to expensive to fix. First was the front differential at a costly 2,000 and a window regulator 675.00 and then secondairy air pump 500.000 and last but not least the ABS modulator and front right hub. Land Rover was asking 4800 to fix that. We said forget it and sold it for dirt dirt dirt cheap but were just happy to get rid of it. It was junk!!

Seats were firm but nice. Off road or in about a foot of snow it can perform probably better than most anything out there.

Reliability and cheaper parts.

we bought a lemon
By jeanned

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our 04 Disco new and have had nothing but problems. I love it, I love to drive it but the rear fog light burned out after 3-4 months, cannot access it because it is sealed. The radio/cd player went out, dealer did fix that, front headlights are full of moisture, the passenger side window motor broke, dealer did not fix, 500+ to fix that, transmission has leaked since around 20,000. Dealer would not do the warranty to fix this except for a seal, started throwing fluid again while on vacation in FL, dealership would not cover it, brakes locked up while on vacation again, dealership did cover that one, now it needs a new engine, dealer won't cover, LRNA offered a small amount.

the looks, the handling, the safety, it was go almost anywhere. I love driving this vehicle, nothing else compares to the solidness of it

For LRNA to make good on the problems that we have had, their dealership in Charleston WV messed up when they did not honor warranty work at 38,000 and caused the problems we are now having. We used to tell everyone to buy a LR, now we tell everyone not to.