2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
Testament to its toughness
By msn619 on 02/13/14 02:40 AM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

As we all know right now the mid west and east cost are on blizzard watch and accidents are all over the city and I was not exception, I was on a stop light waiting to turn left when a sliding car hit me head on maybe around 20mph, I was ok thankfully my 2 yrs old was not with me. His passat was wreaked and my 00 discovery II was badly damaged but no oil or coolant leak, I was able to drive home 10 miles after all that. For 8yrs my discovery II never left me stranded, as long as I keep up with maintenance, she was good to me.

My dream car
By weslowery on 02/11/11 19:17 PM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Im a 17 year old and I have always wanted a Land Rover. I got one at 85,000 miles and by 90,000 we were begging for someone to take it. I loved it but it was way to expensive to fix. First was the front differential at a costly 2,000 and a window regulator 675.00 and then secondairy air pump 500.000 and last but not least the ABS modulator and front right hub. Land Rover was asking 4800 to fix that. We said forget it and sold it for dirt dirt dirt cheap but were just happy to get rid of it. It was junk!!

we bought a lemon
By jeanned on 10/24/08 06:47 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our 04 Disco new and have had nothing but problems. I love it, I love to drive it but the rear fog light burned out after 3-4 months, cannot access it because it is sealed. The radio/cd player went out, dealer did fix that, front headlights are full of moisture, the passenger side window motor broke, dealer did not fix, 500+ to fix that, transmission has leaked since around 20,000. Dealer would not do the warranty to fix this except for a seal, started throwing fluid again while on vacation in FL, dealership would not cover it, brakes locked up while on vacation again, dealership did cover that one, now it needs a new engine, dealer won't cover, LRNA offered a small amount.

Not much room
By Scott on 02/21/06 21:44 PM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This was my wife's truck. We traded it in this last week because it's not comfortable for a 6'3" broad shouldered man, and because the local land rover dealership stated that it is normal for these trucks to need new rear brakes and rotors at 40,000 miles. It has a recurring issue of brake squeak which the dealer said they could fix for $250.00, but that it was not covered under warranty (5yr 50000 miles). It's had to have several oil leaks repaired (Oil pan, front differential) under warranty. I would not recommend this truck unless you buy it somewhere other than a Land Rover dealership, are small to medium build and are related to a Land Rover mechanic.

On my 2nd Disco
By Dr Ralph Krutulis on 12/16/04 21:35 PM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I am on my second Discovery ( the 1st was a 1996 Disco I). This one is #141 of the limited Camel's Cup G4 Series. The machine shows the influence of the BMW design team; it goes a lot faster, a lot quicker, but seems less stable in snow withstock tires. The addition of Nokian SUV tires improves the traction markedly. It was one of the few SUV's that I can put my portable clinic in, and still have room for the kids and their stuff. The fuel milage is worse this Disco (12.5MPG) vs 15MPG on the prior Disco, but it had a smaller (4.ol) engine. I would look at the LR3 next.

WOW!, What a Truck!
By 4by4realtor on 11/16/04 15:42 PM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Having a SUV and actually using it has taught me what makes a good SUV and this is it. I have a 2002 Toyota Highlander, and had a 1995 Trooper. I absolutely love my Disco II. I am 6'2"and so have had to learn how to get in it smoothly, but once I am in I am completely comfortable. The truck handles great on and off the road. In fact usually you can't drive an SUV like a car, but this one handles much better than most SUV's. I highly recommend this truck. Try to find one before they are all gone. I got mine for 10K below sticker due to the LR3's release. Best value on the market.

2nd Land Rover...great, so far...
By brent bonfiglio on 09/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have only driven Audi's... but my spouse liked the looks of the free lander se3--- after we purchesed the se3 I found myself always driving it, so I decied on a land rover, myself....I bought my disco, and have enjoyed it very much...VERY, VERY diferent from my previous car...but in a good way..the build quality is NOT up to Audi...but it is still acceptable. I have found no faults with this vehicle...and would reccommend it to anyone...just be ware of the fact the fact that they can be very expensive to maintain...over all a very good vehicle...

Calake's Review
By wjones on 08/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is an awesome vehicle to drive. The handling far exceeds what I imagined. I have driven 4x4's for some 20 years, and this is an incredible machine, both for getting around town, and (my favorite) hitting the far off and hard to reach fishing spots in the Eastern Sierras that only can be reached with a 4x4. What else can I say, this vehicle is real fun!

Discovery
By LandDriver on 04/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

All hype no extras....not even a DVD player! Poor visibility, lots of blind spots.

Subaru, Jeep and Pathfinder combined
By Nakoosa on 01/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Discovery SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

'98 SD. a small, antique dining set fit nicely in the back. After securing my antiques, I headed for some 4x4 fun. 4x4 ability, especially in mud and on steep hills, is amazing! On-road performance is Very surprising. At first, I felt high, narrow and top-heavy, but after 4- wheeling and some highway time, 85-90 mph felt absolutely solid, fun, and safe. In the past, I had balked at this vehicle because of it's gas mileage; but when you don't want to compromise luxury and pure off-road ability, you just have to pay for the little deficits! Replaces 2001 Sub. outback wagon ltd, nissan pathfinder and jeep cj-5 with no compromises except gas mileage!