Used 2004 Land Rover Discovery HSE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

Every day Tank
By Warwick Dales

2004 Land Rover Discovery HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle is only comparable to a Sherman Tank when looking at its off road capability.Been very impressed at what its got me through and out of.To be honest most of the places i thought only mad or insane people would get through,i've saunted through with this vehicle.Fuel consumption is the only hindrance,otherwise good to look at and my wife looks hot in it!

Off road capability

Fuel Consumption

A killer,last of the BMW Rovers!
By Velocity

2004 Land Rover Discovery HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Excellent in the snow, sand (on Lake Michigan beaches) and rain. Poor gas mileage, but what are you expecting of a SUV that can pull a 2 ton sailboat, a 4 ton sailboat a short haul and jet two kids plus gear around town. Traded my first 2001 Disco SE7 for the 2004 HSE7 (4.6l v8) and it was a great trade! The LR3 is a DOG! Looks and feels and drives CHEAP! Buy a USED DISCOVERY II or II.5! By the way, the replacement parts are much cheaper too from your local import mechanic!

Series 1 GPS, all the features and leather.

Land Rover dropped the NOAA marine radio frequencies on the standard in-dash radio! Now, I have to have my marine radio in the glovebox! Sorry, we live here near Chicago next to Lake Michigan!

me and my Discovery (love it hate it)
By Ken

2004 Land Rover Discovery HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Always wanted a Land Rover I have admired them since forever. My land Rover is love/hate relationship. The thing can't go more than 6 months without need for a trip to the dealer, most of the time it is for something minor. My rover loves to gulp gas even on highway trip if I'm lucky I might get 14 mpg (avg speed 66 mph). Ergonomics poor, off road performance way better than great. Snow, mud, water no problem. I purchased it with the older style nav system, which after the $700.00 cost Land Rover decided not to make map upgrade DVD disks for up dating. Great they have rendered the system useless as for up to the date maps and such, thanks Land Rover.

Looks great on or off road, it has both class and rugged looks. No other off road vehicle looks so good has a can go anywhere look and it does. The CJ series of Jeep has the look also. I do not consider it an SUV rather a real OFF ROAD vehicle.

The Discovery should still be made. Improvements, a bit bigger in sizee in and out would help. Get the window and heated seat switches on the door. Disconnect the way the fog, driving lights work. They should be independent of each other with the driver in complete control. Change

'04 LR Disco in CA
By '04 LR Disco in CA

2004 Land Rover Discovery HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

3rd eye tail light out after first 3 mos. Windshield washer pump didn't work from the beginning & has already been replaced with pump that works occasionally. Upper corners of front windshield leaked from beginning & has stained the headliner - now trying to get replaced. Also have problems with the front passenger compartment being soaked. Told it is a common occurrence with LRs so will need to get it drained (odd for it to be common on a $40k+ auto). Brake pads & rotors have already needed replacement and is costly (& not covered under warranty). Left front headlight has also gone out. Luckily, all these problems (minus brakes) are covered under 50k warranty

railings on outside of car need to drain water off better. Water spills right onto windshield when you brake, or water or snow will fall directly onto car seat when you open the door. Better mileage

disco in alaska
By leebulliii

2004 Land Rover Discovery HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This was my second Land Rover Discovery and I loved it. Never had any major problems with it and the service at the dealership was always great.

Off road ability. Attend the off road events if your dealership offers them.

Just waiting for the LR3 to come out.