Used 2004 Land Rover Discovery S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Land-rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

Testament to its toughness
By msn619

2004 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

As we all know right now the mid west and east cost are on blizzard watch and accidents are all over the city and I was not exception, I was on a stop light waiting to turn left when a sliding car hit me head on maybe around 20mph, I was ok thankfully my 2 yrs old was not with me. His passat was wreaked and my 00 discovery II was badly damaged but no oil or coolant leak, I was able to drive home 10 miles after all that. For 8yrs my discovery II never left me stranded, as long as I keep up with maintenance, she was good to me.

Favorite Features

My wife's favorite features is its air ride suspension, dual sun roof, my favorite feature was its AWD and rugged look. Today I pass by a land rover dealer I was thinking getting a LR4 but sadly it looks to suburban to me, I feel like its to soft.

Suggested Improvements

I hope LR can redesign a more rugged less plastic exterior, i feel like people who wants a softer SUV should look at lexus RX and for people who wants a hard core suv should look at LR.

My dream car
By weslowery

2004 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Im a 17 year old and I have always wanted a Land Rover. I got one at 85,000 miles and by 90,000 we were begging for someone to take it. I loved it but it was way to expensive to fix. First was the front differential at a costly 2,000 and a window regulator 675.00 and then secondairy air pump 500.000 and last but not least the ABS modulator and front right hub. Land Rover was asking 4800 to fix that. We said forget it and sold it for dirt dirt dirt cheap but were just happy to get rid of it. It was junk!!

Favorite Features

Seats were firm but nice. Off road or in about a foot of snow it can perform probably better than most anything out there.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability and cheaper parts.

we bought a lemon
By jeanned

2004 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our 04 Disco new and have had nothing but problems. I love it, I love to drive it but the rear fog light burned out after 3-4 months, cannot access it because it is sealed. The radio/cd player went out, dealer did fix that, front headlights are full of moisture, the passenger side window motor broke, dealer did not fix, 500+ to fix that, transmission has leaked since around 20,000. Dealer would not do the warranty to fix this except for a seal, started throwing fluid again while on vacation in FL, dealership would not cover it, brakes locked up while on vacation again, dealership did cover that one, now it needs a new engine, dealer won't cover, LRNA offered a small amount.

Favorite Features

the looks, the handling, the safety, it was go almost anywhere. I love driving this vehicle, nothing else compares to the solidness of it

Suggested Improvements

For LRNA to make good on the problems that we have had, their dealership in Charleston WV messed up when they did not honor warranty work at 38,000 and caused the problems we are now having. We used to tell everyone to buy a LR, now we tell everyone not to.

Not much room
By Scott

2004 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This was my wife's truck. We traded it in this last week because it's not comfortable for a 6'3" broad shouldered man, and because the local land rover dealership stated that it is normal for these trucks to need new rear brakes and rotors at 40,000 miles. It has a recurring issue of brake squeak which the dealer said they could fix for $250.00, but that it was not covered under warranty (5yr 50000 miles). It's had to have several oil leaks repaired (Oil pan, front differential) under warranty. I would not recommend this truck unless you buy it somewhere other than a Land Rover dealership, are small to medium build and are related to a Land Rover mechanic.

Favorite Features

Off road ability

Suggested Improvements

Wider backed seats, ability to lower seat more or raise steering wheel higher so the steering wheel isn't sitting on you legs and better customer service at the dealership service department.

On my 2nd Disco
By Dr Ralph Krutulis

2004 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I am on my second Discovery ( the 1st was a 1996 Disco I). This one is #141 of the limited Camel's Cup G4 Series. The machine shows the influence of the BMW design team; it goes a lot faster, a lot quicker, but seems less stable in snow withstock tires. The addition of Nokian SUV tires improves the traction markedly. It was one of the few SUV's that I can put my portable clinic in, and still have room for the kids and their stuff. The fuel milage is worse this Disco (12.5MPG) vs 15MPG on the prior Disco, but it had a smaller (4.ol) engine. I would look at the LR3 next.

Favorite Features

Style of the body and the seats. Really smooth 4WD system.

Suggested Improvements

Global position system, better sound on all styles, seriously improve the gas milage.