Used 2004 Land Rover Discovery Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Land-rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

Style and Substance meet in the Disco
By druidess

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I am the original owner of my beloved 2004 Disco 2, which has logged more than 220,000 miles, many of them hard ones in Maine winters. I love this car so much that I put in a new motor at 180,000 miles, but sadly just learned that the undercarriage has rust. The plan was to get a new Jeep for me when my daughter got her driver's license, but she's getting the new Jeep and I am keeping my Disco for as long as we can keep the rust at bay. Although in very inclement weather she will be driving the Disco. Some time ago a massive Ford truck slammed into the side grate of my Disco destroying his whole front end, while Disco sustained a slight smudge. Looking for a replacement when this one goes.

Favorite Features

Safety and style are my fave aspects of this vehicle. I have read and heard that there have been no fatalities in the Disco model in traffic accidents, but can not confirm that info. Love the Disco's rugged good looks, unlike newer LR models - it states its purpose which is a real sport utility vehicle. I've carried more kids and dogs in this car over the years and the leather interior still cleans up like new, from the seats to the carpets and all the fixtures. It is so solid that I always feel confident when transporting other people's kids in this car. Having said that, it is expensive to maintain, but fortunately I have a great local mechanic who takes the time to resource used parts.

Suggested Improvements

Maintenance is key to the sustainability of the Disco. Mine had virtually no issues for the first 100k miles, but since it surpassed 140k miles I've had to replace a lot of its moving parts. Still, the interior and exterior remain handsome and stylish. The nearest LR dealer to me is at the other end of the state, and they are less than pleased about my devotion to the Disco. They've basically washed their hands of the whole business, and treat me like an imbecile, but my local garage is very reasonable and sensitive to my Disco obsession, doing everything they can to keep it going for not too much money.

Testament to its toughness
By msn619

2004 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

As we all know right now the mid west and east cost are on blizzard watch and accidents are all over the city and I was not exception, I was on a stop light waiting to turn left when a sliding car hit me head on maybe around 20mph, I was ok thankfully my 2 yrs old was not with me. His passat was wreaked and my 00 discovery II was badly damaged but no oil or coolant leak, I was able to drive home 10 miles after all that. For 8yrs my discovery II never left me stranded, as long as I keep up with maintenance, she was good to me.

Favorite Features

My wife's favorite features is its air ride suspension, dual sun roof, my favorite feature was its AWD and rugged look. Today I pass by a land rover dealer I was thinking getting a LR4 but sadly it looks to suburban to me, I feel like its to soft.

Suggested Improvements

I hope LR can redesign a more rugged less plastic exterior, i feel like people who wants a softer SUV should look at lexus RX and for people who wants a hard core suv should look at LR.

Sorry, but no Cigar!
By mmr1

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I'm the original owner of a 04 Disco and it's been a living nightmare. It's had excessive oil/antifreeze leaks, consumption, blown head gaskets, axle replacement, worn cam lobes/lifters among many other things and now the infamous "slipped cylinder sleeve" rendering the block useless! All this at only 100k miles on a car which has been fully maintained, never over heated and has had the oil changed every 3-5k miles. Sorry, but complete engine failure at 100k miles is just unacceptable! Other Auto Mfg's. today hold a minimum durability requirement of 150k miles and have far exceeded this on vehicles costing half what this one did. So no cigar LR, I'll spend my money elsewhere!

What's all the fuss?
By markrayburn

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned a few Discos and have loved them all. There may be some troubling anomalies out there but I've not found one. Regular maintenance seems to be the key element, and catching anything suspect early on. My 2004 SE has 202k miles and is clean as can be. Fixed early signs of lifter noise right away (at 100k) by doing an oil cleaning flush and new Castrol. Been silent since. I replaced a right CV joint on my '96 SE7 (my favorite because they were still putting 5-speed manuals in them). It drove my family for 265k until I was forced off the road one day at 65mph and rolled 6 times. I could still open all 5 doors. Landed on its wheel. Amazing. Had two others. Loved 'em all.

Favorite Features

My 2004 SE with 210k seems to do everything well. Lots of headroom--I'm 6' 2". Lots of off-road. Handled Moab, UT trails with ease. Chicken Corners. Poison Spider--fun. Favorite features are turning radius and width of vehicle. North Rim Grand Canyon west on 4WD roads 65 mi. (need permit) Part of Kaibab National Forest. Lots of narrow tight turns on side canyons and forested areas turning around tight tree clearances. Dry camped for 12 days and only saw one other vehicle--a white Defender 90 with a diesel 4-banger and RH drive.

Suggested Improvements

Even with all the traction and hill decent goodies (which make it really easy) I'd like to see the manual transmission brought back. LR still puts the brake and accelerator in the correct proximity to make clutching with the left foot while braking and minding the accelerator with the right quite easy. It just seemed a little "purer" (in my '96 SE7 5-speed) having to think about climbing the steeps with both feet, both hands, and your brain.

A truly special car!!
By twisties4me

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Great Car!! Most misunderstood car out there. If you're not into having maintenance done then buy one of those look alike disposable cars, do not buy a Landrover. Excellent on-road or off. In 115k miles I certainly have not had any of the nightmarish leaks and electrical problems that I'm reading about, but then, I've owned it since new and maintain it, with much affection I might add. I've never ceased to be amazed with the quality of the switch gear etc. which we have BMW to thank for. The car is as solid as a rock! Stangely enough, for such a tall ride, it also handles rather nicely too. I love my Landy!

Favorite Features

Solid build, command seating with outstanding visibility, decent engine that is built to withstand high waters, confidence inspiring when the roads are flooded or simply wet, goes anywhere, awesome rugged looks inside and out kind of like a swiss army knife. All my friends want my car and even strangers at gas stations etc.

Suggested Improvements

There's a reason why some dealerships are called stealerships. The assesment is made based on the utter incompetence and downright dishonesty of the Landrover dealers in South Florida. They couldn't care less about customers as far as maintenance is concerned. Exterior trim clips do have a tendency to break. I suspect it is partly to do with car washes that use pressure washers. Yes, it is a gas guzzler.