Used 2004 Land Rover Discovery Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

Best...and...Worst Vehicle You Could Ever Own
By Rover Rover

2004 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This Land Rover will run forever...as long as you keep fixing it. First off if you can't work on your own (and I mean not just small stuff but in depth engine work) or can't afford to pay for frequent repair don't drive one. You may fall in love with it as I did. The ride (heavy vehicle which lets it ride smooth with a little roll), the 4wd (works great in slick mud/snow as long as sensors are working), the comfort (great interior), stereo, and just general coolness of the vehicle (even though it's kind of ugly in it's own way) will make you love it after driving it. Take your time looking for one that has been well taken care of inside and out with records and has head gasket issues....yes this way you will get a good deal...you can do the repairs yourself fairly cheap. Biggest problem is if it is leaking around the sleeve which is a $4k - $6k fix. The vehicle drives and handles great no issues with braking as others speak of...even at 5,300 lbs it will stop on a dime. Corners great with no tip over or feel of it as I've heard others mention. Back doors do seem a bit small for getting in and out of so keep this in mind. Only complaint I really have is the clock...why would anyone put a clock over by the passenger seat. But even with all that said I love it and will keep it...but again I can work on it and have a backup vehicle....Good Luck

Love Hate Relationship
By dave

2004 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I just sold my 04 D2 and purchased a Toyota FJ with 1800 miles. My wife has been after me for three years to get a newer vehicle. My Disco has been my most favorite vehicle of all the 30plus I have owned. I am an avid ourdoorsman yet wear a suit and tie for a living. It has been in terrain most never think of going. I put a 2" lift with upsized more aggressive tires on it as well as a winch. It is one of the most capable vehicles offroad and a dream to drive on road. The hate part - at 67,000 mi the oil pump exploded. At 77,000 the rear main seal leaked like a fountian, the head gasket and a few other seals were leaking. Two door actuators, window crank and front hub went all before 100,000. I had a mechanic friend tear the engine down and put new seals in it throughout. When he went online looking for some information about Land Rovers he said he never saw such lengthy blogs about leaking oil issues like any other car he researched. I ran synthetic oil since 30,000 - changed the oil in the engine, trans, transfer case and diffs religiously. If not for the crappy quality of some parts and cheap engine seals this is an awesome vehicle. Land Rover has the reputation of oil leakers and garbage electronics. I bought it new so every mile was mine (110,000 when sold), and I am anal about maintenance but even good maintenance cannot help faulty materials. Once all the issues were fixed I had no more problems. I almost cried when I sold it as it has taken me to some great places. I also own a 1960 Land Rover Series 2. Purchase a another brand new one - never.

Style and Substance meet in the Disco
By druidess

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I am the original owner of my beloved 2004 Disco 2, which has logged more than 220,000 miles, many of them hard ones in Maine winters. I love this car so much that I put in a new motor at 180,000 miles, but sadly just learned that the undercarriage has rust. The plan was to get a new Jeep for me when my daughter got her driver's license, but she's getting the new Jeep and I am keeping my Disco for as long as we can keep the rust at bay. Although in very inclement weather she will be driving the Disco. Some time ago a massive Ford truck slammed into the side grate of my Disco destroying his whole front end, while Disco sustained a slight smudge. Looking for a replacement when this one goes.

Safety and style are my fave aspects of this vehicle. I have read and heard that there have been no fatalities in the Disco model in traffic accidents, but can not confirm that info. Love the Disco's rugged good looks, unlike newer LR models - it states its purpose which is a real sport utility vehicle. I've carried more kids and dogs in this car over the years and the leather interior still cleans up like new, from the seats to the carpets and all the fixtures. It is so solid that I always feel confident when transporting other people's kids in this car. Having said that, it is expensive to maintain, but fortunately I have a great local mechanic who takes the time to resource used parts.

Maintenance is key to the sustainability of the Disco. Mine had virtually no issues for the first 100k miles, but since it surpassed 140k miles I've had to replace a lot of its moving parts. Still, the interior and exterior remain handsome and stylish. The nearest LR dealer to me is at the other end of the state, and they are less than pleased about my devotion to the Disco. They've basically washed their hands of the whole business, and treat me like an imbecile, but my local garage is very reasonable and sensitive to my Disco obsession, doing everything they can to keep it going for not too much money.

Testament to its toughness
By msn619

2004 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

As we all know right now the mid west and east cost are on blizzard watch and accidents are all over the city and I was not exception, I was on a stop light waiting to turn left when a sliding car hit me head on maybe around 20mph, I was ok thankfully my 2 yrs old was not with me. His passat was wreaked and my 00 discovery II was badly damaged but no oil or coolant leak, I was able to drive home 10 miles after all that. For 8yrs my discovery II never left me stranded, as long as I keep up with maintenance, she was good to me.

My wife's favorite features is its air ride suspension, dual sun roof, my favorite feature was its AWD and rugged look. Today I pass by a land rover dealer I was thinking getting a LR4 but sadly it looks to suburban to me, I feel like its to soft.

I hope LR can redesign a more rugged less plastic exterior, i feel like people who wants a softer SUV should look at lexus RX and for people who wants a hard core suv should look at LR.

Sorry, but no Cigar!
By mmr1

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I'm the original owner of a 04 Disco and it's been a living nightmare. It's had excessive oil/antifreeze leaks, consumption, blown head gaskets, axle replacement, worn cam lobes/lifters among many other things and now the infamous "slipped cylinder sleeve" rendering the block useless! All this at only 100k miles on a car which has been fully maintained, never over heated and has had the oil changed every 3-5k miles. Sorry, but complete engine failure at 100k miles is just unacceptable! Other Auto Mfg's. today hold a minimum durability requirement of 150k miles and have far exceeded this on vehicles costing half what this one did. So no cigar LR, I'll spend my money elsewhere!