In a market of its own
By Dr. French on
2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)
I'm coming from a 2001 Wrangler Sport and a 2002 Infiniti QX4 and I must say the Disco is unique. For whatever reasons, I love the rugged, quasi- military/safari styling and how the truck sits, especially from the front, and especially with the newly designed front end and lamps. I bought it about 1 year ago for $9000 from a wholeseller (it was about a 7.5 out of 10 with massive head gasket and coolant hose leaks, a faulty oxygen sensor, a broken glove box opener and a slightly damaged rear bumper and a few dings) and was prepared to put money into it. $1800 later it's a 9/10, puts a smile on my face, and is still cheaper than a Jeep product. More regal than the QX4 also and better leather.
Favorite Features
Cream Connolly leather with the black piping, sitting position, stance, highway manners / cornering, the sport wheels, 4X4. Good part selection on- line which is much cheaper than dealer. I also recommend a LR specialist mechanic - mines great at $85 per hour and gives good, honest, practical advice.
Suggested Improvements
Yes, gas mileage is poor. Dash isn't pretty, but looks better with a fake wood kit. Suede on the doors is brutal for wear, and I replaced mine with durable pebble-grain black leather which looks tremendous. Gaskets will leak especially in hot climates. Sunroof is finicky. Dust gets in rear cargo.