Used 2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Land-rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

In a market of its own
By Dr. French

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I'm coming from a 2001 Wrangler Sport and a 2002 Infiniti QX4 and I must say the Disco is unique. For whatever reasons, I love the rugged, quasi- military/safari styling and how the truck sits, especially from the front, and especially with the newly designed front end and lamps. I bought it about 1 year ago for $9000 from a wholeseller (it was about a 7.5 out of 10 with massive head gasket and coolant hose leaks, a faulty oxygen sensor, a broken glove box opener and a slightly damaged rear bumper and a few dings) and was prepared to put money into it. $1800 later it's a 9/10, puts a smile on my face, and is still cheaper than a Jeep product. More regal than the QX4 also and better leather.

Favorite Features

Cream Connolly leather with the black piping, sitting position, stance, highway manners / cornering, the sport wheels, 4X4. Good part selection on- line which is much cheaper than dealer. I also recommend a LR specialist mechanic - mines great at $85 per hour and gives good, honest, practical advice.

Suggested Improvements

Yes, gas mileage is poor. Dash isn't pretty, but looks better with a fake wood kit. Suede on the doors is brutal for wear, and I replaced mine with durable pebble-grain black leather which looks tremendous. Gaskets will leak especially in hot climates. Sunroof is finicky. Dust gets in rear cargo.

Disco Love! But Not for everyone!
By ooosjcooo

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

The 03-04 is the Disco perfected! Last of its kind! These reviews are upsetting. I'm reading things like "problems after 90K miles" and "poor gas mileage". What huge V8 SUV 4X4 doesn't? If you want reliability and good gas mileage go buy a Honda Fit, If you want a rugged off road machine that has good enough looks to take to the country club or tow your boat then this is for you! Truly a classic for the outdoorsman, but not for the weak!

Favorite Features

Timeless classic looks. Safety. 4.6 V8 compared to 4.0. Hill decent. Steering wheel. Dual sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

Xenon headlights. Standard roof rack. Euro diesel model offered in US. large navigation display like lr3.

90K miles - time to replace every gasket
By BarryC

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I loved my 03 Disco until year 5. After 90,000 miles (147,000 km) every gasket in the engine had to be replaced. What originally appeared as a simple oil pan leak turned into the replacement of the head, timing assembly, and oil pan gaskets, plus radiator leaks and other miscellaneous hoses at the cost of CAD $2000 in parts and $1,300 in labor. Other annoying items: the passenger window motor self destructed, premature fading of wheel well fenders, excessive engine knocking even with regular 94 octane use, seat heater failing. The vehicle was serviced religiously. My advice - sell before the warranty expires. I'm used to high maintenance vehicles but will never buy another Landrover.

Favorite Features

Dual sunroofs, seats, high seating position, view of the road, luxury feel for an SUV, general look of the 2003-4.

Suggested Improvements

Design an engine that doesn't leak! More horsepower, less knocking, smoother transmission (ok, this is all too late now).

The most unreliable vehicle on the road.
By Peter

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

As the owner of a 2002 Freelander which I traded in for a 2003 Discovery I can tell everyone to take seriously the ratings given by both JD Power & Associates and Consumer Reports magazine (among others). JD Power & Associates reviewed 38 auto manufacturers and Land Rover placed right at the bottom for the reliability of all their vehicles. Consumer Reports magazine ranks Land Rover vehicles as "much worse than average" for reliability but also displays in graph form how much worse than average Land Rover vehicles actually are. When compared among 48 other midsize SUV's, the Range Rover, LR3 and Range Rover Sport all ranked between -129% to -195% in reliability (a score of zero is perfect

Favorite Features

Off-road capability.

Suggested Improvements

The reliability of Land Rover vehicles has been ranked the worst in the entire auto industry (JD Power & Associates and Consumer Reports magazine). Improving this seems like a top priority. Land Rover may also want to finally acknowledge this fact.

I'll never drive any thing else
By nichoal

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

It is everything I thought. The clear view, the comfort. I am 5,2 112 lbs. This is the only SUV that fits me. My husband hates it but that's ok. It is my birthday gift. I love clearly seeing everything when I drive. I have found my second love.

Favorite Features

Wide windows, height, seats rise higher like I want. She has a sexy body

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. I would like to see 2 in wider for larger riders.