2003 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
Enjoyable but disappointing
By mrmhouston on 06/13/07 07:43 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love driving my Land Rover. It is great in Houston's frequent high water and I take it off road about a dozen times a year. It has been disappointing, though, due to the amount of times I've had to take it in for repairs (approx every 3,800 miles while under warranty). Maybe the bugs have been worked out? It is a good working vehicle, not a lot of bells and whistles that most of today's cars have. Is the trade-off worth? I can't tell yet.

My New Ex Boyfriend
By My New Ex Boyfriend on 05/20/07 21:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Yes, it's true...I ran to him when 6000 lbs or better meant notaxes that year! and now he has cheated on me. He got into bed with a gas pump and I just can't trust him anymore! He was quite the looker, but boy he has a drinking problem. Seriously, I loved the look of this truck, I like the classic stying. The romance fades from here. Although it's never left me stranded, OK once - E means empty, there is no forgiving here. Have already done the brakes and I am on my 2nd set of tires. Front end is leaking as it is prone to do. O2 sensors have been replaced two times. Rear door latch failed and while rounding a corner door flew open and bent hinges

Love it or Hate it!
By Malvert on 01/02/07 15:56 PM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Problems: Serpentine belt replaced three times, left front headlight twice, third brake light, leaking throttle body heater gasket replaced three times, rear brakes at 25k, now new brakes front and rear at 54k (doing myself). New tires at 46k. DVD screen wiring came loose, vacuum lines replaced at 53k. Horrible turning radius. 10 seconds 0-60. Vomit inducing cruise control. My wife loves this truck. I personally hate it...but fail to mention this to her. The styling is great but the mechanicals and electricals are just terrible. LR would sell a ton of trucks if they could just improve the quality of their products. Good things: Has never left us stranded.

You'll need to make it yours
By Skifishhunt on 12/15/06 13:31 PM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned my Disco for 3 years, I average over 20,000 miles a year. No major problems at all. This vehicle is not a car, it is a truck, and once you replace the oem goodyear tires and put a multifunctional roof rack on it, you will be on your way to owning the most capable SUV on planet earth.

You get what you pay for.
By M.M. on 10/20/06 07:26 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd Discovery and I have gotten what I paid for with both, a very capable on and off road vehicle, with great benefits in the fact that it is weighty and stable. I got out of a Dodge 2500HD diesel 4x4 crew cab into this and was looking for something substantial, and found it in the Discovery. I have had no major service issues. The "command position" seating is great because you can see almost everything. I feel very safe hauling around my precious cargo in the Discovery and would buy another. Don't get it if you are looking for good gas mileage, that isn't what these were built for.

Land Rover Discovery Not Comfortable
By tester27 on 10/14/06 15:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Drivers seat does not sit back far enough nor does the steering wheel lift up far enough for me to get comfortable. Also - gas and brake pedals are too close together... 6' 1" - 220 pounds

A Classy Vehicle never goes out of style
By J.M.A. on 07/11/06 22:54 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I just purchased a 2003 Land Rover Discovery SE7, with 44.5k miles (vienna green). I love driving my Rovie thus far; classy, beautiful looks with refinements, all leather, and plush interior. I get alot of looks from other drivers, envious perhaps or maybe its not their cup of tea. Have not had any problems or issues, however I need to purchase the original oweners manual, since there was none at the time of purchase. I am going to baby my land rover or at least attempt to feather the gas pedal...I used to have a 1995 Chevrolet Silverado ex- cab...this rangie still gets better gas mileage than most SUV'S. Check all vehicles before buying and perhaps purchase and extended warranty for used vehi

never again
By casper on 06/19/06 19:45 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Poor interior comfort. Horrible gas mileage and performance. Re-occurring mechanical issues. Yugos still have better resale value than these overpriced tanks. Never again!!!

Don't waste your money.
By Tom Mignano on 12/09/05 15:37 PM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Driving the vehicle during the winter months can be fun provided you get rid of the oem goodyear tires. They provide no traction with a vehicle this heavy. Ownership is expensive. For example the brake system is inadequate for the weight. Expect to pay around $700.00 per year if you drive everyday. The wiper arms for the year 03-05 are proprietary and will cost around $120.00 per year. Considering tires. new tires lasted 22,000. I'm on my second set. So around 1300 more dollars for two sets during ownership. This vehicle is underengineered, expensive to buy and very expensive to keep. Even insurance will cost you more because of the weight of the vehicle will cause more damage.

Great family suv/ real off road vehicle
By J. Linz on 05/29/05 09:48 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Great vehicle! Has been well worth every penny I spent! Powerful and good handling. Only service has been oil changes and a few minor interior window rubbers - had some sun fade. A great family vehicle.