Used 2003 Land Rover Discovery Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Land-rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

Don't be fooled
By Toyotas From Now On

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This was my first and last experience with Range Rover! If you want to throw your money away, this is your brand. Do your homework before you get caught in the hype of Range Rover. I've owned numerous SUV's (Mercedes, BMW, Land Cruiser etc.)and this brand is truly "tall hat-no cattle!" Never purchase this brand without a thorough pre-inspection by a certified Rover mechanic. Get to know him well because you will be helping put his kids through college! You've just met your new best friend. The ride quality and rugged good looks are the only redeeming characteristics that stands out to me. Toyota/Lexus is your stand-out best-choice every day of the week.

Favorite Features

Upright seating position, dreamy feel on the road and handsome design almost lure you in.

Suggested Improvements

Loose the rear seat headrest, buy stock in your local gas station and drive in constant fear of that next new noise because you are about to get rear-ended. When you go to sell it you will need to find a bigger fool than yourself. Now, ask me how I really feel.

Bad, bad, bad
By Run Away Now!

2003 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased this vehicle as a demo model. Has been nothing but unreliable since day one. Yesterday I had to junk it because the engine failed totally! Beware of this year and model car. Look online for issues involving oil pump engine failures. The car was in the shop more than out -- sometimes months at a time -- power window failures, leakage, tailgate failure, numerous mechanical issues and basically a very rough riding car. Since this model year, I will pride Land Rover in coming out with the LR3 --I have heard a much better designed car. But don't buy a 2003 Discovery!

Favorite Features

Car pooling, enough room to haul kids and all their gear. Nice step up into third row from back. Great and fun in the snow. Safe car for wife and kids.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. Runs very rough, like a truck Reliability! Please!

Awful Reliability
By DisgustedNSF

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I am the unfortunate owner of a 2003 Land Rover Discovery that I purchased new in August of 2003. Since the vehicle was first placed into service, the vehicle has been the most unreliable, frustrating and irritatingly expensive vehicle I have ever come across, let alone own. Although the vehicle is only 5-1/2 years old with approximately 78,000 miles, it is worth no more than the market value for its scrap metal due to its habitual mechanical failures.Despite religious maintenance, the mechanical failures have included: Rear-end differential failure at 30,000 miles; Power window failure at 55,000 miles; Blown head gasket at 55,000 miles; cracked engine block at 78,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Good 4-wheel drive capability.

Suggested Improvements

Dependability.

Best 4x4 ever!
By Daniep

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I'm a 16 year old high school student and I love my Disco. It has a good sound system, and it sits really high. The ladies love it. Lots of storage room and great on the snow and ice. The V8 has lots of power and pulls away from my friend's 6 liter V8 gmc sierra. Great for off roading and camping.

Favorite Features

Awesome driving view, heated seats, diff lock, great handling, 4x4 features, and it's a Land Rover

Suggested Improvements

5 speed trany

Ruff Rider
By "LANA ROVA"

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I'm at 150,000 Km and am finding that every few months I'm having to spend a couple of hundred dollars on repairs. But I absolutely love my Disco! I read all of the reviews out there before I bought it (so I knew what to expect but decided I didn't care). Something about these you either love 'em or hate 'em. Just make sure you take into consideration the high cost of maintenance on this vehicle in conparison to an American or Japanese vehicle. As for the style or ability, there is nothing else like it out there.I hate all of these bubble crossovers. Bottom line I've had my truck for almost 3 years and still look forward to getting inside and driving around town especially in the snow.

Favorite Features

Round head lights, 2 sunroofs, rear jump seats for my boys, rear DVD and third row audio controls, all my bush bars, coloured piping on seats & Harmon Kardon sound system, I love that I have only seen about 15-20 of these trucks in Toronto in the 3 years I've been driving it.

Suggested Improvements

Gas consumption is wicked, very awkward to get in and out of 2nd row seats, difficult to even find tires for this vehicle.I also wish that Land Rover didn't have such a monopoly on maintenance of these vehicles but I guess that's the price you pay to not drive what everybody else drives.