Used 2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Land-rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

Looks good, reliable, well-built
By propertybroker

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I am very pleased with my '03 Discovery after 95k miles. It adopted the 2002 Range Rover's silky 4.6L engine, and is as powerful as it sounds. Shifting is smooth and quality- sounding. Sharp- looking inside and out. My friends, neighbors, and client like the luxurious look of it and think it costs much more that it did. Vehicle rides tall on the road. I get a good view of the road and feel safe in the vehicle. Surprisingly quick acceleration, plows through heavy rain and snow. I have had the vehicle for 4 years and have only had to do regular maintenance on it.

Favorite Features

Luxurious looks, great comfortable ride, ability to drive it in any weather condition.

Tough trucks, but expensive to operate
By Raoulduke101

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I've had my '03 Disco for just over 6 years now. Bought it used w/ 10k miles. It is a very capable off-road vehicle and can even tough a 4000 pound boat with relative ease (braking is not so great). The truck has held up relatively well, but I have had a number of major problems including a blown manifold gasket ($800 repair), blown axle seals (warranty), 02 sensor ($800 repair), and the window motor ($200, installed myself). Alot of annoying minor problems have occurred also. The gas mileage really stinks (11-12 town, 13-15 hwy) for such a small vehicle. The car is not very comfortable, as you feel pretty crammed inside it. I would not buy another one.

Favorite Features

Looks tough. Heavy duty drive train, capable off-road vehicle, powerful.

Suggested Improvements

Better mpg. More room inside for such a gas guzzler. More comfortabel seating.

DONT GET SUCKED IN
By Pete

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Don't let this vehicles awesome look bring you to purchase one. I bought a 2003 disco 4 months ago in pristine condition. Until after having it a weak the Lifters failed, the oil pump went and needed a total engine replacement at 58,000 miles. Local LR dealership put in a "used" engine in "good" shape and repair cost $8000. Two weeks after getting it back the head gasket blew on the replacement engine! Also a $3000 repair not covered by the warranty! I have never had a more terrible experience with a vehicle in my life. It's funny sitting in a million dollar showroom around all these high end vehicles,while they're telling you that these repairs are normal. I sold the car after 5 months

Favorite Features

Exterior and Interior design, The vehicle quality and it's features are awsome, I truly loved it, hated it's reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Pull the 4.6 V8 out and try and serve it for dinner, thats all it's good for. Stay away from 2003-04 disco's with this engine!

absoloutely wonderful
By loooooove it

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

After doing much research on which vehicle I should get for my 16 year old I finally decided on a landrover discovery. I found one at a wonderful price and its still running strong after 120,000 miles. Regardless of what the other reviews say it is a very reliable vehicle... Those that have repairs all the time just don't know how to take care of a vehicle. My son loves the double sunroofs and the ability to haul his friends around town. This is a wonderful vehicle for any teen.

Favorite Features

2 sunroofs, size, safety features.

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage

To be avoided!
By sgriggs

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my '03 Discovery II with 75K miles after a local Land Rover mechanic (independent) gave it a careful inspection and discovered nothing immediately wrong. In the 1 year and 7 months since, it has spent more time in the shop than any other car I've owned (including a vintage Bentley!) and cost me a small fortune in repairs. When I bought mine, I figured that none of the horror stories I read about would happen to me, and that if I was careful and took good care of my LR, I would be rewarded with a reliable ride. I was wrong. These things are poorly designed and built. The only up-side is that it looks good when parked outside my house. Which is more often than not these days!