2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
Disco Love! But Not for everyone!
By ooosjcooo on 01/07/09 18:26 PM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

The 03-04 is the Disco perfected! Last of its kind! These reviews are upsetting. I'm reading things like "problems after 90K miles" and "poor gas mileage". What huge V8 SUV 4X4 doesn't? If you want reliability and good gas mileage go buy a Honda Fit, If you want a rugged off road machine that has good enough looks to take to the country club or tow your boat then this is for you! Truly a classic for the outdoorsman, but not for the weak!

90K miles - time to replace every gasket
By BarryC on 09/05/08 21:26 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I loved my 03 Disco until year 5. After 90,000 miles (147,000 km) every gasket in the engine had to be replaced. What originally appeared as a simple oil pan leak turned into the replacement of the head, timing assembly, and oil pan gaskets, plus radiator leaks and other miscellaneous hoses at the cost of CAD $2000 in parts and $1,300 in labor. Other annoying items: the passenger window motor self destructed, premature fading of wheel well fenders, excessive engine knocking even with regular 94 octane use, seat heater failing. The vehicle was serviced religiously. My advice - sell before the warranty expires. I'm used to high maintenance vehicles but will never buy another Landrover.

The most unreliable vehicle on the road.
By Peter on 07/10/08 20:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

As the owner of a 2002 Freelander which I traded in for a 2003 Discovery I can tell everyone to take seriously the ratings given by both JD Power & Associates and Consumer Reports magazine (among others). JD Power & Associates reviewed 38 auto manufacturers and Land Rover placed right at the bottom for the reliability of all their vehicles. Consumer Reports magazine ranks Land Rover vehicles as "much worse than average" for reliability but also displays in graph form how much worse than average Land Rover vehicles actually are. When compared among 48 other midsize SUV's, the Range Rover, LR3 and Range Rover Sport all ranked between -129% to -195% in reliability (a score of zero is perfect

I'll never drive any thing else
By nichoal on 07/06/08 11:55 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

It is everything I thought. The clear view, the comfort. I am 5,2 112 lbs. This is the only SUV that fits me. My husband hates it but that's ok. It is my birthday gift. I love clearly seeing everything when I drive. I have found my second love.

Good off-road but unreliable.
By Peter on 06/27/08 21:53 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Good approach and breakover angles, but poor departure angle will have you dragging your rear bumper on steep inclines. Very fun to drive, especially off-road. Reliability lives up to the Land Rover reputation, terrible. Several major and minor repair problems. Thanks to the extended warranty I have saved about $5,100 in total repair bills. It is now back at the dealership again with transmission and engine problems, total cost? Land Rovers are great if you literally have money to burn for gas and repair/upkeep costs.

Bring it back!
By weinsteinb on 06/07/08 05:59 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is by far one of the best looking trucks ever made. The ladies love its sexy looks and the interior! Fantastic sound system!

Quirky but beautifyl
By henry_l on 05/23/08 16:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Quite possibly one of the best looking vehicles out there. The 2003 redesign really helped in many areas, and mine has run flawlessly. Both the exterior and the interior holds up well.

Surprisingly good!
By capitollr on 05/12/08 19:37 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Unique design looks better than most SUVs today! Head-turning, good looks complemented by elegant, quality interior. Unbeatable combination of off-road prowess and every day practicality.

Run from this! Land Rover is the worst.
By Nitzervon on 05/02/08 18:33 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

There is not a seal on it that does not leak, in 90,000 miles: new motor (twice), transfer case (three times), both differentials, rear driveshaft, power steering pump, power steering box, hydraulic hoses, starter, replaced plug wires (twice, due to sparking between wires), Brakes only last 10,000 miles. I averaged $900 each month in just repair bills. Not to mention 8 miles per gallon. My wife has a Jaguar that is the same way. No wonder every car company in England has to be sold every few years.

Curiosity caravan
By Curiosity caravan on 04/27/08 16:07 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

The first day I bought it I went out looking for some off-road fun. Since then I have taken my family a crossed the country and back, on and off the road. The dealership I bought it from did not tell me the first owner hit a fire hydrant. That lead to problems for about a year, but it was all covered. Since then I have had no problems. It is not under warranty anymore. So I save money by doing all minor maintenance myself. Yes, the gas mileage stinks bad. To be honest that is the only bad thing I have to say about it. I will get another or rebuild when the time comes.