Used 2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Land-rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

Great family suv/ real off road vehicle
By J. Linz

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Great vehicle! Has been well worth every penny I spent! Powerful and good handling. Only service has been oil changes and a few minor interior window rubbers - had some sun fade. A great family vehicle.

Favorite Features

Interior seating and dual moon roofs. Great view. Rugged! Fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

The Lr3 has improved fuel and room, but I will miss the dual moon roofs and rugged look! I also like the center controls for the windows and door better than on the new LR3's.

All Name, No Game
By JC

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

After running my 03 Disco for 44k, my vote is mixed but leaning towards the not worth the price and could use lots of improvements side. Nothing big has gone wrong, but lots of little items have. Both front windows failed in a week. Gas door has broken twice, horn buttons snapped off, leaking windows, two oil leaks after service, brakes need changing almost yearly, spark plug wires went bust, cruise control is poor and punchy, and comfort level in rear is horrific, front poor. A/C vents just donít seem to hit driver in face, a must in Florida summers. On the other had, great looks, powerful, off-road works very well.

Favorite Features

Body style, front lights and grill, back cargo, visibility from all seats, very good handling on all weather, great for off road, preppy name on the hood. Thatís about it.

Suggested Improvements

Thank goodness the LR3 is on the market as they worked out most of the problems with the overrated, overpriced Disco.

Great vehicle with bad gas
By Sam

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I towed 6,000lbs of Porsche 911 and full trailer across the country with this truck. Never missed a beat. Ran super in the snow and is very comfortable not to mention great looking. Zero problems. Brake pads are still more than 50% in front. DVD player is wonderful for kids. Everything you could want except for some of the worst gas mileage in its class. We average about 12 MPG. But considering we bought late in the model year and got a $42,000 truck for $31,500 I figure the savings buys me about 4,000 gallons of gas. So no worries.

Favorite Features

Engine torque, off road/snow capability, great dealership experience thus far.

Suggested Improvements

Better cruise control. It is terrible.

Perception is Everything
By Monte03

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Buy it only if your intentions include offroading. Only then could you truly enjoy this vehicle. There are a plethora of better handling and more fuel efficient SUV's, but none that are as truly capable off road. Some people suggest the Touareg, but I would highly disagree. Every major component on the lower 50% of that SUV is susceptible to damage due to its independent suspension. One more suggestion to people who are buying this rig... Get the Old Man Emu steering stabilizer as a first order of business. Especially if yours comes with the 18" wheels. It will eliminate, for the most part, rut-tracking on the freeway and bump- steer.

Favorite Features

Locking differential, 4.6 low-end torque, heated seats

Suggested Improvements

Old Man Emu shocks, springs, and steering stabilizer, snorkel, and water proof electronics under the hood.

I Love This Truck
By Peter Taylor

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is a truck - not a sedan! Don't make the mistake of confusing the two! This truck has been, over the past two years, simply the best handling, capable and fun to drive vehicles I have ever owned/driven. It handles very well on any surface, in any weather. The ride quality is superb! Easy to drive, it takes care of you. I've found myself in precarious situations and have made it through unscathed! With plenty of power and pickup, I've a confident feeling in any situation. To anyone who daily drives the DC streets, the offroad features make this vehicle a dream as it makes it's way, effortlessly, through arguably the worse streets in the nation.

Favorite Features

I LOVE the styling, exterior and interior. The interior is very comfortable and simplified. Very functional and easy to use. Not a lot of unnessary extras. LOVE this engine! LOVE the suspension and handling! In two years, I've not had one problem!

Suggested Improvements

Although I use the navigation system, would appreciate a map. Although not really that bad, if fuel consuption is a big consideration, don't strain yourself... buy a sedan. With the money I've not spent on maintenance, I've got plenty to gladly put into the tank!