Used 2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Land-rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

You get what you pay for.
By M.M.

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd Discovery and I have gotten what I paid for with both, a very capable on and off road vehicle, with great benefits in the fact that it is weighty and stable. I got out of a Dodge 2500HD diesel 4x4 crew cab into this and was looking for something substantial, and found it in the Discovery. I have had no major service issues. The "command position" seating is great because you can see almost everything. I feel very safe hauling around my precious cargo in the Discovery and would buy another. Don't get it if you are looking for good gas mileage, that isn't what these were built for.

Favorite Features

Command position seating, heated windshield, high roof line gives plenty of clearance for taller passengers. Have never encountered any problems off road, almost got kicked out of a Camp Jeep event because we went right on through a ditch a Cherokee got stuck in. Land Rover the best 4x4 by far!

Suggested Improvements

Would love to have it in a Diesel like they do in Europe. The only thing I don't like is that the back doors are kind of narrow (they fixed this in the LR3).

Land Rover Discovery Not Comfortable
By tester27

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Drivers seat does not sit back far enough nor does the steering wheel lift up far enough for me to get comfortable. Also - gas and brake pedals are too close together... 6' 1" - 220 pounds

Favorite Features

4wd, visibility, sun roof, navigation, hill descent feature

Suggested Improvements

Inprove fuel economy, more range of motion for drivers seat, redesign pedal placement, more front elbow room and shoulder room.

A Classy Vehicle never goes out of style
By J.M.A.

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I just purchased a 2003 Land Rover Discovery SE7, with 44.5k miles (vienna green). I love driving my Rovie thus far; classy, beautiful looks with refinements, all leather, and plush interior. I get alot of looks from other drivers, envious perhaps or maybe its not their cup of tea. Have not had any problems or issues, however I need to purchase the original oweners manual, since there was none at the time of purchase. I am going to baby my land rover or at least attempt to feather the gas pedal...I used to have a 1995 Chevrolet Silverado ex- cab...this rangie still gets better gas mileage than most SUV'S. Check all vehicles before buying and perhaps purchase and extended warranty for used vehi

Favorite Features

Awesome new front headlights, beautiful rare light green color,plush leather interior, nice stereo system, sexy exterior.

Suggested Improvements

Blend in the rear black colored bumper with the rest of the body if the body is another color besides black. The rear tail lights could use some newer carbonfiber round design. Perhaps 20" wheels, Better gas mileage, front seats could have been placed lower. I feel like I am standing up, good view

never again
By casper

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Poor interior comfort. Horrible gas mileage and performance. Re-occurring mechanical issues. Yugos still have better resale value than these overpriced tanks. Never again!!!

Don't waste your money.
By Tom Mignano

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Driving the vehicle during the winter months can be fun provided you get rid of the oem goodyear tires. They provide no traction with a vehicle this heavy. Ownership is expensive. For example the brake system is inadequate for the weight. Expect to pay around $700.00 per year if you drive everyday. The wiper arms for the year 03-05 are proprietary and will cost around $120.00 per year. Considering tires. new tires lasted 22,000. I'm on my second set. So around 1300 more dollars for two sets during ownership. This vehicle is underengineered, expensive to buy and very expensive to keep. Even insurance will cost you more because of the weight of the vehicle will cause more damage.

Favorite Features

Chassis design is very safe. Interior seat position and center of gravity are optimised. The 5.7l engine provides good gas mileage for this size vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Put mulipot brake calipers with 16 plus inch rotors on this beast. Go with a different tire manufacturer. Provide the customer the ability to go to the local auto parts shop for 8 dollar wiper blade instead of 60 dollar dealer blades I suggest tire monitoring system should be standard.