Used 2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV - Consumer Reviews

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

Slow and Overpriced
By Tom

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

A good SUV in allot of way. It’s strong, solid and safe. However it’s a thirsty, under-powered slug with a nice leather interior. Also the ongoing service will take the fun out of having it. I can’t tell you how disappointed I am with this SUV, not to mention the hit I’m going to take to get out from under it. Never again

Dual power sunroofs

217 horsepower is not enough. On average gets it gets 12 miles to the gallon.

Enjoyable but disappointing
By mrmhouston

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love driving my Land Rover. It is great in Houston's frequent high water and I take it off road about a dozen times a year. It has been disappointing, though, due to the amount of times I've had to take it in for repairs (approx every 3,800 miles while under warranty). Maybe the bugs have been worked out? It is a good working vehicle, not a lot of bells and whistles that most of today's cars have. Is the trade-off worth? I can't tell yet.

Its ability to handle flooded streets.

Make it reliable and reduce the costs to fix it.

My New Ex Boyfriend
By My New Ex Boyfriend

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Yes, it's true...I ran to him when 6000 lbs or better meant notaxes that year! and now he has cheated on me. He got into bed with a gas pump and I just can't trust him anymore! He was quite the looker, but boy he has a drinking problem. Seriously, I loved the look of this truck, I like the classic stying. The romance fades from here. Although it's never left me stranded, OK once - E means empty, there is no forgiving here. Have already done the brakes and I am on my 2nd set of tires. Front end is leaking as it is prone to do. O2 sensors have been replaced two times. Rear door latch failed and while rounding a corner door flew open and bent hinges

Exterior styling

Gas mileage, how about a hybrid! Cost of ownership. Get rid of the curry hook and give me a third row seat or a DVD player or a navigation system or OnStar

Love it or Hate it!
By Malvert

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Problems: Serpentine belt replaced three times, left front headlight twice, third brake light, leaking throttle body heater gasket replaced three times, rear brakes at 25k, now new brakes front and rear at 54k (doing myself). New tires at 46k. DVD screen wiring came loose, vacuum lines replaced at 53k. Horrible turning radius. 10 seconds 0-60. Vomit inducing cruise control. My wife loves this truck. I personally hate it...but fail to mention this to her. The styling is great but the mechanicals and electricals are just terrible. LR would sell a ton of trucks if they could just improve the quality of their products. Good things: Has never left us stranded.

Exterior styling. Quirky ergonomics. Heated windshield.

Improve gas mileage. Face the fact that nearly no one takes the LR off road. Improve brakes (Brembo anyone?). Use Japanese sourced electricals. Six Sigma!

You'll need to make it yours
By Skifishhunt

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned my Disco for 3 years, I average over 20,000 miles a year. No major problems at all. This vehicle is not a car, it is a truck, and once you replace the oem goodyear tires and put a multifunctional roof rack on it, you will be on your way to owning the most capable SUV on planet earth.

Double moon roofs, can go anywhere any time confidence, Great engine, powerful! fantastic interior, its a Land Rover

Check engine light is over sensitive to gas cap leak, Tires, Tires tires, before replacing my oem tires, I got stuck twice on snow covered roads. My Japanese 4wdrives have never been stuck.