2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
Whatever you do keep it awayyyyyy!!
By thesonnyjim on 03/26/12 23:37 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I was the second owner at 38k miles with existing warranty paid 16.5k from Private seller about 5 years ago. At first glance I loved the car but after driving it for 6 months, a Nightmare!! The gaskets went, luckily I had warranty but still had to pay labor. Every little thing started to break down, cheap plastic pieces would break off and cost expensive for something that should cost very cheap & actuators go alot. Make a long story short after replacing the rear hydraulics (paid 4k & 2 months in the shop) I took the car to a dealer that took it in at a value of 4700 and traded it in for a 2012 Toyota Sienna SE. I'm very happy with that vehicle. A Land Rover...Never again in this lifetime!

Engine damaged after overheating
By jeevanga on 10/17/11 19:26 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought with 29k and whole year of warranty left for $22000.Used for 4 years and put on only 11k due to terrible gas mileage.Loved the ride and apperance.No issue for 3.5 years then 3 amigos appeard but did not fixed. Engine overheated due to coolent tube leak and seems to be head gasket blown or engine cracked.Sold it to carmax for $7000.

Looks good, reliable, well-built
By propertybroker on 09/29/09 22:18 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I am very pleased with my '03 Discovery after 95k miles. It adopted the 2002 Range Rover's silky 4.6L engine, and is as powerful as it sounds. Shifting is smooth and quality- sounding. Sharp- looking inside and out. My friends, neighbors, and client like the luxurious look of it and think it costs much more that it did. Vehicle rides tall on the road. I get a good view of the road and feel safe in the vehicle. Surprisingly quick acceleration, plows through heavy rain and snow. I have had the vehicle for 4 years and have only had to do regular maintenance on it.

Run from this! Land Rover is the worst.
By Nitzervon on 05/02/08 18:33 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

There is not a seal on it that does not leak, in 90,000 miles: new motor (twice), transfer case (three times), both differentials, rear driveshaft, power steering pump, power steering box, hydraulic hoses, starter, replaced plug wires (twice, due to sparking between wires), Brakes only last 10,000 miles. I averaged $900 each month in just repair bills. Not to mention 8 miles per gallon. My wife has a Jaguar that is the same way. No wonder every car company in England has to be sold every few years.

Discovering Excellence
By Disco Dave on 07/15/07 12:50 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love driving the '03 Discovery! I got an HSE, and it's amazing! Even though all the gadgets are in strange places, it is definitely a luxury vehicle! It handles all sorts of weather wonderfully, and it drives very smoothly! The 2003 Land Rover Discovery HSE is overall a great vehicle!

Land Rover Discovery Not Comfortable
By tester27 on 10/14/06 15:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Drivers seat does not sit back far enough nor does the steering wheel lift up far enough for me to get comfortable. Also - gas and brake pedals are too close together... 6' 1" - 220 pounds

I Love This Truck
By Peter Taylor on 10/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is a truck - not a sedan! Don't make the mistake of confusing the two! This truck has been, over the past two years, simply the best handling, capable and fun to drive vehicles I have ever owned/driven. It handles very well on any surface, in any weather. The ride quality is superb! Easy to drive, it takes care of you. I've found myself in precarious situations and have made it through unscathed! With plenty of power and pickup, I've a confident feeling in any situation. To anyone who daily drives the DC streets, the offroad features make this vehicle a dream as it makes it's way, effortlessly, through arguably the worse streets in the nation.

Off Road Supremacy
By Jrwjr on 01/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

The most capable vehicle in the world. Eventhough its built for offroad supremacy, the HSE Discovery drives comfortably on the highway. Instant confidence booster for offroad adventures. Traction control is the best out of any vehicle i've ever driven. Hard to believe that Ford owns Landrover. Much better offroad handling and Design than H2.

Realize what you've got
By usexpat on 01/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I've had this car since 6/03 and it has been the most enjoyable vehicle I've owned. Potential purchasers need to understand what they are buying--an offroad vehicle that has been given the creature comforts of a family car. You'll be getting the best offroad vehicle money can buy, but you will be giving up some things. There are reasons fo the apparent downsides of this vehicle (e.g., slow acceleration... so I don't fly off the side of the mountain!). Bottom line, its a great vehicle and a lot of fun to own/drive, but realize what you're getting.

dissapointed
By J Davis on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Well considering I paid $41,000 for this car I have to say I miss my old RR 98 model. The drivers window fell out, Alternator packed up. 3 sets of brake pads in 1 year. New jack didn't work when tire went flat. Insurance rate on this car is ridiculous and every service still costs $$$$$ for the smallest little repair. Gear train is noisy as hell and people constantly comment on how loud the whining of the engine sounds. Fule economy is amazingly bad and turning radius is a joke for an off road vehicle. Then a dealer tells me that after a year I would be lucky to get $20,000 for it.